TM leaves practice to attend class.

Milwaukee

Banned
Soapbox alert!

So I said something similar in the basketball forum in the thread about cheating and the FBI investigation, I continue to believe we have a moral obligation to educate first. I suppose I understand that makes me old fashioned and that the reality is that college athletics has morphed into development leagues for their respective sports across the board. I accept the reality of that.

I donate money and support GT because it prepared me for life in ways beyond measure. My wife and I (both graduated 2007) have had a bounty of professional successes directly tied to our education, the alumni network and our hard work. When we recruit a student athlete we implicitly promise them that same opportunity.

I am unwilling to accept that should be subjugated for the sake of sport. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to win. It doesn’t mean I don’t want the school and coaching staffs to work together to maximize value and efficiency to allow for both sides of the equation to get their due, but “school trumps practice” feels like a core axiom that we should say proudly. This is an institute of higher learning where we pride ourselves on developing the whole of a student through the Total Person Program. We either put our money where our marketing spends or we don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giphy (89).gif

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
A lot of mothers have influence on their football playing kids. Along with recruiting football players, coaches recruit the player's parents too. If I'm a responsible parent and I read that players attend classes over football practice, then my kid is going to seriously consider GT. This article helps our recruiting efforts.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Just reading between the lines here - or perhaps I’m out of touch and/or coach is getting “soft” - but could the 6pm classes be a permission-based privilege sort of thing for players that CPJ trusts? Will and TM are seniors too.

I think there’s a bit more to this story coming out now than just whaaaaa GT admin hamstrings us. This is PR. This isn’t investigative journalism. Think about that.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I would sometimes let my football playing lab partner leave a bit early so he could get to practice on time (we usually tried to finish early for him anyways). The athletes I had to work beside throughout my time at Tech were always hard working and engaged. I'm proud to cheer them on, not just because of the colors they wear on the field, but because I feel like they were my brothers in the classroom as well.

Should we have had better scheduling to avoid this situation, sure, but sometimes scheduling for Junior/Senior level courses can suck due to minimum course offerings. I applaud Marshall for taking bother his academics AND athletics seriously.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I couldn't be prouder of our institute than I am when reading articles like that.
No, this is a failure on the part of the administration or the individuals who handle degree planning for the students. Highly unlikely that a required course is only offered in the fall.

No, this is a failure on the part of the administration or the individuals who handle degree planning for the students. Highly unlikely that a required course is only offered in the fall.
By the time I got to my senior year, virtually all of my REQUIRED classes were only offered once in the Fall, or whichever quarter (quarters when I was in school), and, in some cases, only once the entire year.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I believe the team that you're looking to support is in Athens.

Actually, probably ANY team in America.

A school with such brilliant leadership as GT ( regardless of continuing to steal from the taxpayers via credit card fraud, etc.) can not find a way to accommodate a handful of S/As that spill their guts on the field AND the classroom?

**** no - we are the Hill****s of GT and we don’t care what additional burdens we put on these young people despite the extraordinary sacrifices they already make.

We have to make sure these worthless S/As understand they are not to be appreciated . They will not be given help with scheduling. As a matter of fact, it is the job of the Hill****s to go out of their way to make it Unreasonably more difficult.

Arrogant, pompous, self righteous, jealous frauds from the Hill.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
No, this is not a failure on the part of the administration nor the individuals who handle degree planning for the students. Highly unlikely that a required course is only offered in the fall.

As someone who is involved in course scheduling, supervises academic advisement, and audits transcripts for all degree candidates in my department, I felt the need to fix your post for you.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Not that unlikely when you're further in the degree path like Marshall. In undergrad I had several classes only offered during certain semesters, which caused a lot of frustration for everyone. In fact, I'm TAing a class this semester only offered in the Fall. While not required, there's only so many electives, essentially making it required.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

A school with such brilliant leadership as GT ( regardless of continuing to steal from the taxpayers via credit card fraud, etc.) can not find a way to accommodate a handful of S/As that spill their guts on the field AND the classroom?

**** no - we are the Hill****s of GT and we don’t care what additional burdens we put on these young people despite the extraordinary sacrifices they already make.

We have to make sure these worthless S/As understand they are not to be appreciated . They will not be given help with scheduling. As a matter of fact, it is the job of the Hill****s to go out of their way to make it Unreasonably more difficult.

I normally agree with you but I am just not able to make the jump with you on this one. I don’t understand the high emotions in this one. We are a school first and foremost. We aren’t going to manufacture courses to fit into athletic requirements. Why, in the scenario you’re so passionately advancing, wouldn’t we adjust practice schedule around the classes if modification was required?

There isn’t a set in stone time block practices must occur at, only time limits on contact between players and coaches. Frankly I think manipulation of either schedule is a bridge too far.

We all have said (at one point or another) that this offense is senior laden this year. Extra practice time for on starters isn’t a bad thing, and the onus is on the coaches to make sure the players are ready to go despite academic concerns.

I won’t rehash my previous posts about the mission of GT being education first and all others second, for brevity.

That said, it’s just my opinion and you’re equally entitled to your own.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

If you don’t know that SA’s get priority scheduling in the first wave along with academic planners to help them more than other students then I don’t know how you feel confident to lend your uninformed opinion to the matter.

As far as I know there are only a handful of “disallowed” majors at Tech with architecture being one of them that major SA’s are not allowed in due to time conflicts.

Also other schools allow SA’s to leave early for labs etc the difference here is allowing the starters and stars to take classes that have a conflict.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
We aren't a service academy and please don't even compare us to them.

I agree we aren’t a service academy but I actually think it’s a good comparison to our core values.

Much like the academies we have a mission beyond the short term time students are at the school. We say, throughout our recruiting materials, we are looking for young men and women who are ready to change the world. Full stop.

We are looking for world class academics who want to practically apply their knowledge and experiences against the most challenging problems our world presents.

That is our mission as a school. I want a great football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, golf, etc team too but I haven’t lost focus on our priority. We create tomorrow’s leaders today.

How can any of us not rally behind that mission agnostic to the impact on our athletic scoreboards?