Tier 9: Yikes

Jolly Good Fellow
First if you are inferring that I am a Dog fan....well, you have no idea who I am.

Second, The CPJ years were our best in 50years and teams were afraid to play us. We never entered a game hoping we would not lose by 50 points...like this year.
Third, it seems that our current staff recruits at the same level as CPJ...46th ranked...but has shown no ability so far to coach at that level.
fourth...Tech recruit the same as UGA.....lol....not unless we add a hundred majors and eliminate calculus.
"...The CPJ years were our best in 50years..." Yup... kinda "damning by faint praise", but, yup...
"...and eliminate calculus....."
Well, we've done that....
Paul is gone. Geoff is GT coach...We all love GT.... Let's rally behind our guy.... Win or Tie...

Jolly Good Fellow
A better coach could have made the transition SO much less painful. It really is a poor reflection on his coaching capabilities. The talent on the team he took over was no where as bad as the results on the field. A complete embarrassment for GT. He lost to CITADEL and got blown out by Syracuse. Just no excuse for such terrible coaching.
I completely understand your frustration and cannot disagree that it has been embarrassing.....but you are a Tech man...crushing disappointment in our athletic program is a way of life for us...Geoff is our coach.... I wish he was Vince Lombardi but, even though he is not, I am 100% behind him....

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
and as I keep saying....if you count transfers coming in you have to count those going out. We have yet to see what any of these transfers can do.
The point makes sense but when you look at recruiting classes you are looking at potential. Half of our transfers are still unknown potential in Watson, Harris, Scott, and Pendley and all had good ratings at schools with more talent than tech. Will they all pan out? Not likely but there is good potential amongst the four.

The other transfers Cochran, White, Eley and McGowan have had more college success than the counterparts they are replacing. I believe we only have one starter leaving and only a couple even played backup minutes. Graham, Gleason, Howard, Johns, Jump, Lee, Henderson, Dawson, Dingle, Johnson, and Evans didn’t contribute much if at all. A few obviously entered the portal before the season, but as far as I know only a couple players have even transferred to lower tier power 5 schools.

Im not one who wants to rerank our recruiting class based on transfers but I also think our recruiting class is pretty good considering it is small and we signed a punter. I also love our transfers compared to signing 6 or 7 5.5 or 5.6 level recruits which would have significantly improved our recruiting ranking.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Ya'll love to argue this stuff. It's an irrelevant article. National writers aren't paying any attention to our recruiting efforts or what we are bringing in from the portal. So be prepared to be picked near last again.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
We could have transitioned to a coach that runs the offense that Georgia Southern and Coastal Carolina run. We had the personnel to run it. We will never recruit to be able to compete while running the current scheme. 46 ranked recruiting class....not that different from the past...
So what if we brought in Southern coach and ended up with the same record? Does GSUs line use the same blocking fundamentals as CPJ? Would we have had an effective qb? Would we have played better defense? Would we have had receivers that stepped up? Could we even get them the ball with the qbs on the roster? There are a lot of what ifs but no one really knows if we would have been any better off.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So what if we brought in Southern coach and ended up with the same record? Does GSUs line use the same blocking fundamentals as CPJ? Would we have had an effective qb? Would we have played better defense? Would we have had receivers that stepped up? Could we even get them the ball with the qbs on the roster? There are a lot of what ifs but no one really knows if we would have been any better off.

Actually yes, GSU's line does do a lot of veer blocking, they also do a lot of zone.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I admire his commitment and discipline to take his lumps while getting game reps for people who are ready for the PT. This to me, is why we have had time management "problems" and strange offensive play sets for 2 years. Also, during this period we have run a lot of vanilla defense. But, I thought I saw more game plan strategy the last 3 games. This is the same strategy Clemson deployed in the mid '70s under Red Parker. However, though the strategy worked well for Clemson, the impatient fools would not let Moses enter the promised land. So, after redshirtting the entire freshman class one year and starting a freshman team the second year, they fired Parker and promoted Pell to head coach.

Well imagine everyone's surprise when Charlie succeeded with 3rd year sophomores where Parker had failed with 2nd year freshmen. That freshman class was the foundation for what Clemson has become today. Many are in Clemson's "Ring of Honor".

Bobby Ross employed a similar strategy at Tech in the late 1980s. I see similarities in Coach Collins approach over his first two years.

For the impatient, quit demanding that the water boil.
I always wondered whatever happened to Red Parker. As for Charley Pell, he was an immediate success to be sure as one of Bear Bryant's boys but my friends who are South Carolina fans said back then that IPTAY actually meant "Its Probation Time Again Ya'll" Instead of "I Pay Ten A Year".

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
We could have transitioned to a coach that runs the offense that Georgia Southern and Coastal Carolina run. We had the personnel to run it. We will never recruit to be able to compete while running the current scheme. 46 ranked recruiting class....not that different from the past...
You're high.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Geoff Collins has not played one snap for the GT football team. We lost to the Citadel because they played better. Our players choked on defense and we didn’t have a QB with a pulse that day. The players lost that game not the coaches. And some of the these players are still here (see first play of the Pittsburgh game).

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I always wondered whatever happened to Red Parker. As for Charley Pell, he was an immediate success to be sure as one of Bear Bryant's boys but my friends who are South Carolina fans said back then that IPTAY actually meant "Its Probation Time Again Ya'll" Instead of "I Pay Ten A Year".
And he was replaced by another of Bear's Boys.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Ya'll love to argue this stuff. It's an irrelevant article. National writers aren't paying any attention to our recruiting efforts or what we are bringing in from the portal. So be prepared to be picked near last again.
Pretty much this. The media is going to pick us to be awful until we aren't. In the mean time some will keep claiming we are building something and that we are a sleeping giant. Its just lazy journalism. No one is doing any real analysis of our team at this point. I guess we have to earn that.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
First if you are inferring that I am a Dog fan....well, you have no idea who I am.

Second, The CPJ years were our best in 50years and teams were afraid to play us. We never entered a game hoping we would not lose by 50 points...like this year.
Third, it seems that our current staff recruits at the same level as CPJ...46th ranked...but has shown no ability so far to coach at that level.
fourth...Tech recruit the same as UGA.....lol....not unless we add a hundred majors and eliminate calculus.
Obviously you moved to Colorado for the weed. CPJ had a good run for us, but he could not sniff O’Leary and was slightly better than Gailey. Finally, he inherited a very good team, but left us with a real mess on our hands.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
Pretty much this. The media is going to pick us to be awful until we aren't. In the mean time some will keep claiming we are building something and that we are a sleeping giant. Its just lazy journalism. No one is doing any real analysis of our team at this point. I guess we have to earn that.
They picked us at the bottom of the ACC every single year even when we were either 1st or second every damn year. There’s nobody in college football really covering us. Our home town fishwrap covers the fleabags up the road, so does TV, radio, etc. It’s a significant strategic issue that won’t be solved by a bunch of coachspeak, dancing and kickball games. Results on the field will help, but it’s not a panacea. The Institute needs to treat GT sports like part of the Institute and not some redheaded stepchild bothering them. It’s a major program/part of the Institute and I’ll allege the only one GT is not successful at.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Geoff Collins has not played one snap for the GT football team. We lost to the Citadel because they played better. Our players choked on defense and we didn’t have a QB with a pulse that day. The players lost that game not the coaches. And some of the these players are still here (see first play of the Pittsburgh game).

I wonder if you've always held the stance that players, not coaches, lose games or is this a recent development...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Nothing like good ole fashioned Saturday morning bickering. I love it.

If nothing else, the tenacity and single minded determination of some of our posters is to be applauded, in an odd sort of way. There is a reassuring and relaxing zen quality to their respective mantras that provides a soothing backdrop to the rare and occasional post that contains facts and/or new insights.