Tier 9: Yikes

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know that anyone has said that "Collins is a good head coach." I don't think I've read that anywhere. He's a new head coach, with much to learn, but also much enthusiasm and rapport with his players and recruits. I think most realize he IS our head coach and DESERVES our support until such time that he's not. Stop tearing the guy down after two seasons here (one of which was very unusual) and give the man time to show he can or cannot get the job done. That's what I'm hearing.
I'm not tearing Collins down. I'm just stating the fact that he hasn't proven anything as a head coach yet. But some people on here think we are going to win 6 or 7 wins next season and are surprised when the media ranks us at the bottom. Catchy slogans and hype doesn't win games.
I would argue that this season in college football really wasn't that unusual. Clemson won the ACC. The same big time schools made the playoffs. Alabama won another national title. Just like every other year despite covid.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Overall as a HC, which was the comparison, GOL is barely over .500 for his career. Both CPJ and GOL have around 100 losses. CPJ has a lot more wins.

One of these two will be in the HOF. It won't be O'Leary.

That's your comparison but it seemed clear that the guy you were responding to was talking about GT coaches. I mean, you really can't get more apples to apples than comparing 2 guys at the same school. Dominating FCS and resurrecting service academy ball should get CPJ in the HOF. Well deserved but O'Leary was a better coach at GT.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not tearing Collins down. I'm just stating the fact that he hasn't proven anything as a head coach yet. But some people on here think we are going to win 6 or 7 wins next season and are surprised when the media ranks us at the bottom. Catchy slogans and hype doesn't win games.
I would argue that this season in college football really wasn't that unusual. Clemson won the ACC. The same big time schools made the playoffs. Alabama won another national title. Just like every other year despite covid.
It was an unusual season. Spring football was canceled, the summer session was delayed. The schedule was turned on its head. Several games we had players who weren't available to play, let alone practice. The way they had to practice and learn the system was very different than the way it's normally taught. Yeah, it was a VERY unusual season. Way too early to start crapping on the coach. If you don't think he's proven anything yet, fine. But, why come on here and crap on him and other posters that have a more optimistic opinion? Only time is going to tell whether he's a good coach or not. Give him a chance.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Sadly, you're not wrong. We lost a lot of good posters over the years and replaced them with ..... uhm ..... a bunch-a jerks. And, well .....

jerk.gif

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Wow, aren't we the judgemental group ! Perhaps they should just appoint anyone with over 5,000 posts to decide who is "worthy" ? Sheesh . Speaking personally, I am a loyal Tech alumni for almost 50 years. I follow GT football like a religion, just ask my wife. Sometimes I get pissed off and post something that is promptly pounced on by some "expert" poster. Simply because I wrote something that appeared, in their infinite wisdom to be : a) Flat out wrong, b) a troll ,c) preposterus ( the latest), d) anti-TECH,CGC, CPJ whatever the current topic is.
You experienced posters make it difficult to wade through the subtle, and obvious, put downs to try to reach some sort of acceptance on this forum. It feels as if I am on the outside looking in at times. It begs the question, why ?? This post am I responding to probably seems like a real funny joke to some, but to those of us who would like to participate in our love/hate realtionship with our beloved alma mater it comes off as a type of eliteism.....something our fan base has been accused of by others many times. Why are all posters not welcome ( unless they are obvious trolls )? I will NEVER spend enough time on this board to get to 5,000 much less 10,000 posts, but currently I am discouraged to post even one more. But I guess that's the point, isn't it ?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wow, aren't we the judgemental group ! Perhaps they should just appoint anyone with over 5,000 posts to decide who is "worthy" ? Sheesh . Speaking personally, I am a loyal Tech alumni for almost 50 years. I follow GT football like a religion, just ask my wife. Sometimes I get pissed off and post something that is promptly pounced on by some "expert" poster. Simply because I wrote something that appeared, in their infinite wisdom to be : a) Flat out wrong, b) a troll ,c) preposterus ( the latest), d) anti-TECH,CGC, CPJ whatever the current topic is.
You experienced posters make it difficult to wade through the subtle, and obvious, put downs to try to reach some sort of acceptance on this forum. It feels as if I am on the outside looking in at times. It begs the question, why ?? This post am I responding to probably seems like a real funny joke to some, but to those of us who would like to participate in our love/hate realtionship with our beloved alma mater it comes off as a type of eliteism.....something our fan base has been accused of by others many times. Why are all posters not welcome ( unless they are obvious trolls )? I will NEVER spend enough time on this board to get to 5,000 much less 10,000 posts, but currently I am discouraged to post even one more. But I guess that's the point, isn't it ?
I never worry about message count. There are those who have been on the site for many, many years with low post counts. Just because they lurk more than they post, doesn't diminish what they have to say. To be honest, I don't know what my post count is, but I've been around about as long as the site has (early 2013). There are many that have been here years shorter with 3X or 4X my posts.

However, when you've been here a long time and you've seen the same negative arguments posted year after year, it does begin to drag. My advice, don't take it personally. That's my job! ;)

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I never worry about message count. There are those who have been on the site for many, many years with low post counts. Just because they lurk more than they post, doesn't diminish what they have to say. To be honest, I don't know what my post count is, but I've been around about as long as the site has (early 2013). There are many that have been here years shorter with 3X or 4X my posts.

However, when you've been here a long time and you've seen the same negative arguments posted year after year, it does begin to drag. My advice, don't take it personally. That's my job! ;)
Thanks, I do tend to do that ......(y)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Went to Arkansas for 5 years from1993 to 1997 but was only 26-30.
Oh, now I remember. He could not duplicate the magic at Clemson. It's funny but Dodd always thought Frank Broyles was smart to go to Arkansas because there was no real competition in state for talent and he had the absolute backing of the state movers and shakers whereas at Tech Dodd was always fighting an uphill battle with the Hill, UGA being the flagship university, and a Board of Regents determined to tilt the playing field. No such problems at Arkansas for Coach Broyles who enjoyed a long and relatively successful career. His only problem was being in the same conference with Texas.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It did have a distressingly familiar look to it...COVID notwithstanding. That said, I am willing to give Coach Collins a mulligan on that one and see what he can do with this new, improved, turnover spiced roster. Personally, I will be surprised if he wins more than 4 but stranger things have happened. Another 3 win season would be disappointing, to say the least.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
It did have a distressingly familiar look to it...COVID notwithstanding. That said, I am willing to give Coach Collins a mulligan on that one and see what he can do with this new, improved, turnover spiced roster. Personally, I will be surprised if he wins more than 4 but stranger things have happened. Another 3 win season would be disappointing, to say the least.
I'm just trying to understand what makes people believe Collins will win more than 3 or 4 games. We knew with Paul Johnson that when we had a losing season, we would bounce back and improve. We never had back to back losing seasons with CPJ. He was a proven winner and proved he could coach. I guess we'll see with Collins if he can coach. But his record so far is not good.

JacketMicMan

Georgia Tech Fan
Overall as a HC, which was the comparison, GOL is barely over .500 for his career. Both CPJ and GOL have around 100 losses. CPJ has a lot more wins.

One of these two will be in the HOF. It won't be O'Leary.
As a fan. It was nice to attend two Orange Bowls in 5 years. We had not gone to a major bowl since the 1967 Orange Bowl. That includes when we were snubbed to play a mid teen ranked team in the Citrus Bowl. I thank CPJ for those experiences in Miami.