Tier 9: Yikes

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The offense wasn’t the problem last year, it was the defense. The offense without a doubt got better, the defense got worse. I want to see Collins succeed, if the defense is top 40 next year we win 6 games. If not we continue to have the same conversation a year from now.
Well, it certainly improved but was still a big part of the problem. We finished 92nd in offensive efficiency, 2nd worst in the country in turnovers lost, and 121st in red zone conversions. It was a mess. The offense and the defense need to improve significantly before we are a winning football team.

slugboy

Staff member
The offense wasn’t the problem last year, it was the defense. The offense without a doubt got better, the defense got worse. I want to see Collins succeed, if the defense is top 40 next year we win 6 games. If not we continue to have the same conversation a year from now.
Top 40 defense would be a MASSIVE improvement. That’s a “two absolute beasts at linebacker” improvement, at least.

LibertyTurns

Banned
And would love to see an upset.
I think there’s consensus that the 2 gimmes plus Duke are guaranteed wins. So anything above 3 would have at least 1 upset win in the bunch. I really can’t fathom how many on here think we’re going to go 0-9. I believe 5 wins is the minimum. Upsets for me are the Domers, UNC, Clemp and that place up the road. The other 6 we have a decent chance of winning. Yeah, we may not be the favorite but we’re not going to see more 21+ pt lines on the game. We have to relearn hw to win.

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, it certainly improved but was still a big part of the problem. We finished 92nd in offensive efficiency, 2nd worst in the country in turnovers lost, and 121st in red zone conversions. It was a mess. The offense and the defense need to improve significantly before we are a winning football team.
Agreed we have to get better, but we improved as the year went on. We had 12 TOs in first 3 games and 13 in last 7. Outside of the NC State game it seemed our red zone offense improved as the year went on as well. When Gibbs is playing we have an offense that can score.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I think the Collins experiment will go one of two ways. After this season.......which will be a 3-4 win season, he will get a new OC and change the scheme to better suit what he needs to run. Or he will muddle through the next 2 seasons with less than 6 wins......and he will be a very good coach at his next stop because he will have learned how to be a head coach. Georgia Tech is not a very easy place to be head coach. Our Academics limit us and we are surrounded by football factories. The press and 90% of the state sees you as little brother and now there is even contention from two other programs, Georgia State and Georgia Southern.

I am hoping that he chooses option 1.
How many years will it take to get the athletes in that are needed for this the new scheme? Is he supposed to get another 5 years that the fans should just shut-up and be patient. Will Tech have any fans left by the time this grand experiment has run its course? Experiment= All I need to do is recruit great and somehow magic pixie dust will be sprinkled around and make all the other important components to being a good head coach and a good winning team just happen. Like Magic.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
How many years will it take to get the athletes in that are needed for this the new scheme? Is he supposed to get another 5 years that the fans should just shut-up and be patient. Will Tech have any fans left by the time this grand experiment has run its course? Experiment= All I need to do is recruit great and somehow magic pixie dust will be sprinkled around and make all the other important components to being a good head coach and a good winning team just happen. Like Magic.
I have not looked close at the roster but would think that 90% are his players. But you have to be realistic and understand how young this team will be. Number of wins I have no idea. What will happen we will beat a team or two we shouldn't but will lose to someone who we should have beat.

So first, this notion of getting the proper players for your system of offense is a bit skewed. If you are running a multiple offense you need an athletic QB, not a slow drop back passer. We have that athletic QB in Simms. He needs to be allowed to run the ball more. Running backs are pretty much plug and play with exception being they need to be able to block. Weather running CPJs flexbone or a drop back scheme, RBs need to block. In our current scheme our O-lineman need to block covering space. The tackles need some good feet but they are not required to block down field as before. But this notion that there is some difference in the past and now is incorrect. Under CPJ our best blockers were large guys with good feet. Devine was a crusher.

Wide receivers need to be able to catch and run routes, but again this is no different than any other scheme. In CPJs though they were required to do more blocking.

But this notion of recruiting to the scheme is false. All these kids played in offenses that are more like what we run now. Very few played in pro style drop back or CPJ's flexbone. It is a matter of coaching them up and training them up when they get to Tech.
What I have a problem with in our current O-scheme is that it does not require the defense to play disciplined. When we play an athletic defense they eat us alive. When your run game is try to block and just hand the ball of, the D does not have to do much.
Watch Georgia Southern or Coastal Carolina and you will see what offense I think we should be running.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
We are 6-16 the last two seasons, with 14 losses by double digits and one of the other two coming to a second rate FCS team
Going back to PJ’s last two games, it’s 6-18 with 16 double digit spreads in those losses
We should be thankful there’s not a Tier 11

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We are 6-16 the last two seasons, with 14 losses by double digits and one of the other two coming to a second rate FCS team
Going back to PJ’s last two games, it’s 6-18 with 16 double digit spreads in those losses
We should be thankful there’s not a Tier 11
Weird to only go back 2 there but eh. Surprised you didn't do 3 so you could say 6-19

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
We were better in August 2020 than we were in August 2019. We also were better in December 2019/2020 than we were in August 2019/2020. I see no reason this shouldn't continue in 2021.

This will also be our first season in a decade and a half fielding true FBS-sized offensive and defensive lines, the most important positions in the game. Lewis Caralla has done a great job teaching our team how to lift and eat for success in a spread offense. If you expected 250 lb offensive linemen to pancake FCS players on the other side, you were sadly mistaken as The Citadel showed us. It's not Paul Johnson's fault that his OLs were undersized, he just designed them to carry out different tasks that emphasized quickness and agility. It certainly made the offensive transition quite painful.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Agreed we have to get better, but we improved as the year went on. We had 12 TOs in first 3 games and 13 in last 7. Outside of the NC State game it seemed our red zone offense improved as the year went on as well. When Gibbs is playing we have an offense that can score.

I agree on Gibbs but I'm a bit concerned on his injury propensity.That leg injury came on a non-hit.That is not good.