Tier 9: Yikes

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I don't honestly blame the AD for moving on from the option. No coach out there is even close to CPJ from an option standpoint, so you'd be downgrading even if you kept the same offense. Had there been a clear cut 3O coach in the same stratosphere, there might have been an argument to stay with the 3O, even if it divided the fanbase. Since there wasn't the next best thing is to rip off the band aid and go for it. We chose that route. We will eventually turn the corner, but as @CuseJacket stated above, it might be the next coach that gets us there. Either way, as much as I loved the 3O at GT, I agree with the transition away from it. We just have to be patient for a little bit longer.
Monken ?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
  1. Coach/Scheme: From what I understand, a number of coaches that run offenses that were more gradual to transition to declined our overtures. Satterfield, for one, was off the table even knowing that we were coming open. Most of them would have faced the same offensive line adjustment issues, anyway.
  2. Coach/Scheme: I would have liked a more seamless transition too. That horse is out of the barn.
  3. Coach/Scheme: We probably would have faced offensive line issues even if we had stayed in the same offensive scheme entirely. Frankly, I’m sure of it.
  4. Recruiting: This class would have been one of the better ones over the course of the last decade, even without considering transfers. You can look at recruiting rankings over the last decade and check—the best I saw was a 43, and saw 50’s and 60’s occasionally.
  5. Recruiting: While you shouldn’t lump transfers in with the recruiting class rankings, it doesn’t make sense to ignore them, either. This is an unusually large and good class of transfers. We had slots we could have used to bolster our recruiting rankings and we used them on transfers instead. Our class ranking would have been better if we hadn’t done that.
  6. Recruiting: We did well in bringing in players. We could use more in certain positions.
The O-Line thing is way over hyped.

Tony Elliott was interested in the job and never contacted.

No denying that recruiting is higher then it was, but we are also running the same stuff as everyone else so it's kind of a scratch there, unless you have some lights out coordinators and... well.

At the end of the day, any scheme can be successful, you need the right coaches.

With all that said, I think it's totally fine for a coach to come in and struggle their first year, we don't need to make so many excuses as to why it's not the new coaches fault for the struggles. And 2020 was just well... 2020 kind of hard to blame coaching staff for this year when we haven't had two full pre-season to install new schemes on both sides.

Now that he's flipped the roster (I think an awful practice), however, and will get a full pre-season, I'm looking for a solid showing, not more excuses.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much this. The media is going to pick us to be awful until we aren't. In the mean time some will keep claiming we are building something and that we are a sleeping giant. Its just lazy journalism. No one is doing any real analysis of our team at this point. I guess we have to earn that.
AMEN. The only thing most notice , outside of a few statistic nerds, is wins and losses.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Now you're high.... CPJ has a much better coaching record than GOL and he's also never been implicated by a jury in the death of one of his athletes.

I normally find you pretty rational, but your disdain for GOL may be coloring your perspective.

Overall winning percentage:
GOL: 61 percent
CPJ: 57 percent

ACC winning percentage
GOL: 62 percent

Seasons ranked in top 25
GOL: 5
CPJ: 3

Seasons ranked in top 10 are equal at one. Sure, if you factor in CPJ's other coaching stops and GOL's time at UCF, it changes. But the O'Leary years are pretty much what we are aiming for under Collins. Not only did we win more, we were relevant on a more consistent basis.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Reality bites. We are not a good football team/program right now. I am hopeful for better things next year but realistically, I expect more of the same.

Go Jackets!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This site sucks so much to come to some times.

Sadly, you're not wrong. We lost a lot of good posters over the years and replaced them with ..... uhm ..... a bunch-a jerks. And, well .....

jerk.gif

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I normally find you pretty rational, but your disdain for GOL may be coloring your perspective.

ACC winning percentage

Seasons ranked in top 25

Seasons ranked in top 10 are equal at one. Sure, if you factor in CPJ's other coaching stops and GOL's time at UCF, it changes. But the O'Leary years are pretty much what we are aiming for under Collins. Not only did we win more, we were relevant on a more consistent basis.

Overall as a HC, which was the comparison, GOL is barely over .500 for his career. Both CPJ and GOL have around 100 losses. CPJ has a lot more wins.

One of these two will be in the HOF. It won't be O'Leary.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
I just don't understand why some of you guys think Collins is a good head coach. His time at Temple didnt really prove anything except he wasn't a complete disaster. Obviously, when you look at the W-L record, he hasn't done anything here. So of course no one is going to pick us to be good. Not surprising.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

ACC winning percentage

Seasons ranked in top 25

you also have to consider what the acc and CFB was during these guy's times at GT. I think CPJ had a much tougher boat to row due to apr, arms race...

I'm not saying CPJ was a better coach than GOL or the other way around, but what you are using as a measure here doesn't paint the whole picture. We may never get that either due to their coaching careers not overlapping very much.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if you've always held the stance that players, not coaches, lose games or is this a recent development...
There is no excuse for Georgia Tech to lose to the Citadel in any year under any circumstances. Coach Collins owns that one as he also owns beating Miami in the same year with an outstanding performance by our team. Miami fans still have not forgiven Manny for that one. Losing to the Citadel and beating Miami the same year...nope still don't believe it and I watched both games live.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I just don't understand why some of you guys think Collins is a good head coach. His time at Temple didnt really prove anything except he wasn't a complete disaster. Obviously, when you look at the W-L record, he hasn't done anything here. So of course no one is going to pick us to be good. Not surprising.
I don't know that anyone has said that "Collins is a good head coach." I don't think I've read that anywhere. He's a new head coach, with much to learn, but also much enthusiasm and rapport with his players and recruits. I think most realize he IS our head coach and DESERVES our support until such time that he's not. Stop tearing the guy down after two seasons here (one of which was very unusual) and give the man time to show he can or cannot get the job done. That's what I'm hearing.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There is no excuse for Georgia Tech to lose to the Citadel in any year under any circumstances. Coach Collins owns that one as he also owns beating Miami in the same year with an outstanding performance by our team. Miami fans still have not forgiven Manny for that one. Losing to the Citadel and beating Miami the same year...nope still don't believe it and I watched both games live.
Deal with it. It's ancient history. Year 1 of a transition between disparate systems. Weird things happen. As for Miami, well...they're Miami.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
you also have to consider what the acc and CFB was during these guy's times at GT. I think CPJ had a much tougher boat to row due to apr, arms race...

I'm not saying CPJ was a better coach than GOL or the other way around, but what you are using as a measure here doesn't paint the whole picture. We may never get that either due to their coaching careers not overlapping very much.
The ACC in O'Leary's time was FSU and a bunch of wannabes. I will grant you Virginia was better then but Tech was much better then than we are now. The ACC now and in Coach Johnson's era is a tougher neighborhood to play in. The main advantage that Coach Johnson had over Coach Collins is that UGA is much better, though not really that much more talented, (talent was never an issue with them), and the rise of both Clemson and UNC. Coach Collins has a tougher row to hoe than either O'Leary or Johnson. IMHO. Playing Notre Dame just makes it worse.

The ACC in O'Leary's time was FSU and a bunch of wannabes. I will grant you Virginia was better then but Tech was much better then than we are now. The ACC now and in Coach Johnson's era is a tougher neighborhood to play in. The main advantage that Coach Johnson had over Coach Collins is that UGA is much better, though not really that much more talented, (talent was never an issue with them), and the rise of both Clemson and UNC. Coach Collins has a tougher row to hoe than either O'Leary or Johnson. IMHO. Playing Notre Dame just makes it worse.
Also when you add in 1 and sometimes 2 more games the numbers skew. The ACC was and is now tougher than it was for the O'leary years.