Tier 9: Yikes

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
IDK in what planet Tennessee, Nebraska, Maryland and Mich State are ahead of us. 2 of those teams had as many wins as we did last year.

I mean, three of those four teams (UT, NEB, & MD) are in the top 20 for recruiting this year and Mich St is ahead of us as well. MSU and Nebraska have 4 transfers or more, including a couple of 4*s each. UT adds two 4* transfers to their top 15 class and Maryland has a 4* transferring in as well. I'm guessing that the experts see a quicker turnaround time considering the talent coming in added to what's already on the team. IDK in what planet we could pretend we are better off than any of them, save maybe UT, and that only because of the NCAA hammer about to come their way.

We are on par with Louisville, Pitt, and NC State right now.

Maybe UL, but we've got a ways to go before we can claim we are on par with Pitt or NCSU.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I mean, three of those four teams (UT, NEB, & MD) are in the top 20 for recruiting this year and Mich St is ahead of us as well. MSU and Nebraska have 4 transfers or more, including a couple of 4*s each. UT adds two 4* transfers to their top 15 class and Maryland has a 4* transferring in as well. I'm guessing that the experts see a quicker turnaround time considering the talent coming in added to what's already on the team. IDK in what planet we could pretend we are better off than any of them, save maybe UT, and that only because of the NCAA hammer about to come their way.

Maybe UL, but we've got a ways to go before we can claim we are on par with Pitt or NCSU.
I think we are fully on par with NCSU, Pitts ceiling is 8-9 wins. But when we play them no spread should ever be more that 7 points between us and Pitt, NCSU, and Louisville. If the spread is within a TD then we are on par with them in my book.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think we are fully on par with NCSU, Pitts ceiling is 8-9 wins. But when we play them no spread should ever be more that 7 points between us and Pitt, NCSU, and Louisville. If the spread is within a TD then we are on par with them in my book.

Your reply is based on should. Given the way we lose games at this moment, why SHOULD we be considered on par with these teams? In a couple of years we should be on par or better than half the teams on our schedule, but right now, we are a smoldering dumpster fire of a program. We won't always be (I hope) but that's where we stand at the moment.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Funny how we went from beating many of our ACC brethren and bowling, to hoping we can win 5 games....all in 2 years.... A rebuild we caused by burning down our own house....
And EVERYONE knew when we transitioned from CPJ's offense to any other offense when he left that it was going to be painful for the first several years. This should not be a surprise to ANYONE.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
We could have transitioned to a coach that runs the offense that Georgia Southern and Coastal Carolina run. We had the personnel to run it. We will never recruit to be able to compete while running the current scheme. 46 ranked recruiting class....not that different from the past...

Virtually everyone of your posts talk about the lack of "scheme", boost Johnson, tear down Collins, or all of the above. If I was a UGa grad and Dawg fan, that's exactly what I would do. I would advocate for Tech to return to an offense that is difficult to recruit to, and not have a recruiter like Collins who has the potential to challenge UGa's recruiting base.

You may have some people fooled Coloradodawg, but not me.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We could have transitioned to a coach that runs the offense that Georgia Southern and Coastal Carolina run. We had the personnel to run it. We will never recruit to be able to compete while running the current scheme. 46 ranked recruiting class....not that different from the past...

Mt. Man,
I get your point on the bad transition but you need to give credit in recruiting class for the TRANSFERS that weren't counted I believe. We actually have at least SIX possible new starters in this group.--AND--they look to be GOOD. THey could make a real difference.If they don't GC is on the hot seat.

slugboy

Staff member
  1. Coach/Scheme: From what I understand, a number of coaches that run offenses that were more gradual to transition to declined our overtures. Satterfield, for one, was off the table even knowing that we were coming open. Most of them would have faced the same offensive line adjustment issues, anyway.
  2. Coach/Scheme: I would have liked a more seamless transition too. That horse is out of the barn.
  3. Coach/Scheme: We probably would have faced offensive line issues even if we had stayed in the same offensive scheme entirely. Frankly, I’m sure of it.
  4. Recruiting: This class would have been one of the better ones over the course of the last decade, even without considering transfers. You can look at recruiting rankings over the last decade and check—the best I saw was a 43, and saw 50’s and 60’s occasionally.
  5. Recruiting: While you shouldn’t lump transfers in with the recruiting class rankings, it doesn’t make sense to ignore them, either. This is an unusually large and good class of transfers. We had slots we could have used to bolster our recruiting rankings and we used them on transfers instead. Our class ranking would have been better if we hadn’t done that.
  6. Recruiting: We did well in bringing in players. We could use more in certain positions.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Full disclosure: played for CPJ

Johnson wasn't going to coach forever. Without the GOAT 3O coach to run the offensive, a change was going to need to be made eventually. We couldn't run the offense forever.

no offense to my position coaches, but absolutely none of them have gotten comparable P5 roles. It was so CPJ driven it's not funny, a change had to be made, so why not pick a guy who loves GT and won't bounce when it sucks.

never understood why people get so twisted on comparing coaches. There were/are no comparable 3O coaches to take over, so a change had to be made

stech81

Helluva Engineer
And EVERYONE knew when we transitioned from CPJ's offense to any other offense when he left that it was going to be painful for the first several years. This should not be a surprise to ANYONE.
Surprise no but most just don't like to lose all the time not saying we have to win 9 games this year but 3 or less will free some of the ones who have been on the fence.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
A better coach could have made the transition SO much less painful. It really is a poor reflection on his coaching capabilities. The talent on the team he took over was no where as bad as the results on the field. A complete embarrassment for GT. He lost to CITADEL and got blown out by Syracuse. Just no excuse for such terrible coaching.

Virtually everyone of your posts talk about the lack of "scheme", boost Johnson, tear down Collins, or all of the above. If I was a UGa grad and Dawg fan, that's exactly what I would do. I would advocate for Tech to return to an offense that is difficult to recruit to, and not have a recruiter like Collins who has the potential to challenge UGa's recruiting base.

You may have some people fooled Coloradodawg, but not me.
First if you are inferring that I am a Dog fan....well, you have no idea who I am.

Second, The CPJ years were our best in 50years and teams were afraid to play us. We never entered a game hoping we would not lose by 50 points...like this year.
Third, it seems that our current staff recruits at the same level as CPJ...46th ranked...but has shown no ability so far to coach at that level.
fourth...Tech recruit the same as UGA.....lol....not unless we add a hundred majors and eliminate calculus.

Mt. Man,
I get your point on the bad transition but you need to give credit in recruiting class for the TRANSFERS that weren't counted I believe. We actually have at least SIX possible new starters in this group.--AND--they look to be GOOD. THey could make a real difference.If they don't GC is on the hot seat.

and as I keep saying....if you count transfers coming in you have to count those going out. We have yet to see what any of these transfers can do.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
A better coach could have made the transition SO much less painful. It really is a poor reflection on his coaching capabilities. The talent on the team he took over was no where as bad as the results on the field. A complete embarrassment for GT. He lost to CITADEL and got blown out by Syracuse. Just no excuse for such terrible coaching.
I admire his commitment and discipline to take his lumps while getting game reps for people who are ready for the PT. This to me, is why we have had time management "problems" and strange offensive play sets for 2 years. Also, during this period we have run a lot of vanilla defense. But, I thought I saw more game plan strategy the last 3 games. This is the same strategy Clemson deployed in the mid '70s under Red Parker. However, though the strategy worked well for Clemson, the impatient fools would not let Moses enter the promised land. So, after redshirtting the entire freshman class one year and starting a freshman team the second year, they fired Parker and promoted Pell to head coach.

Well imagine everyone's surprise when Charlie succeeded with 3rd year sophomores where Parker had failed with 2nd year freshmen. That freshman class was the foundation for what Clemson has become today. Many are in Clemson's "Ring of Honor".

Bobby Ross employed a similar strategy at Tech in the late 1980s. I see similarities in Coach Collins approach over his first two years.

For the impatient, quit demanding that the water boil.

Jolly Good Fellow

Johnson wasn't going to coach forever. Without the GOAT 3O coach to run the offensive, a change was going to need to be made eventually. We couldn't run the offense forever.

no offense to my position coaches, but absolutely none of them have gotten comparable P5 roles. It was so CPJ driven it's not funny, a change had to be made, so why not pick a guy who loves GT and won't bounce when it sucks.

never understood why people get so twisted on comparing coaches. There were/are no comparable 3O coaches to take over, so a change had to be made
Full disclosure: played for Pepper
Paul is "...the GOAT 3O coach..." Yup.... I love running the football... It gave Tech an identity.... Paul could not be replaced...
"...so why not pick a guy who loves GT..." Yup.... Geoff WANTS to be here.... I'm not in love with his clock management or the 3 personal fouls in one drive vs Citadel (.. the worst loss in Tech history..)... or the 73 pts Clemson hung on us this year... BUT.... Geoff is our guy, he loves GT...me too..
"...never understood why people get so twisted on comparing coaches....." Yup... Saban was not available..
95% of every conversation at The Swarm is about our offense.... It has been our defense that has defined success or failure for GT since 1966...
When we play D, we are good.. when 3rd and 15 is a problem, we suck...
I support Geoff 100%...he is building a brand.... I so, so hope that it works

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I am glad to see a GT athlete say this. I've made this same argument many times, but there's a subset of posters who refuse to see the logic in it. CGC was not my first choice, but he does love GT, and it shows. We are going to have to give him time, not like we have a choice, but I think we get back to winning football in a couple more years.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank you. This was where we were when we got rid of Gailey. Nothing has changed other than NCAA FB has moved that much further past us. Trying to beat everyone playing the same game will lead to 3-7 win seasons. Every. Single. Year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Thank you. This was where we were when we got rid of Gailey. Nothing has changed other than NCAA FB has moved that much further past us. Trying to beat everyone playing the same game will lead to 3-7 win seasons. Every. Single. Year.
That’s harsh, man. We should be able to muster a 4 win season sooner or later don’t you think?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, I guess you're entitled to come on here and complain about our coach and tear him down (and the program by association). But, man!, if you're truly a Tech fan, can you tell me what good it does to do that? Does it make you feel better?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
First if you are inferring that I am a Dog fan....well, you have no idea who I am.

Second, The CPJ years were our best in 50years and teams were afraid to play us. We never entered a game hoping we would not lose by 50 points...like this year.
Third, it seems that our current staff recruits at the same level as CPJ...46th ranked...but has shown no ability so far to coach at that level.
fourth...Tech recruit the same as UGA.....lol....not unless we add a hundred majors and eliminate calculus.
Come back in 2 years, and if it's the same, then complain. The recruiting comment doesn't even deserve a response. You're better than that.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
and as I keep saying....if you count transfers coming in you have to count those going out. We have yet to see what any of these transfers can do.
I have only suggested we count those transfers that will be considered true freshmen or have 4 years of eligibility left. Those are essentially the same as the HS players we brought in, but aren't counted towards this year's ranking. 4 of those guys would have significantly changed our recruiting ranking. Not worried about transfers out or the upperclassmen transfers in (except Cochran, I think he will be a big help).