Tier 9: Yikes

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
At least one of them will make us look foolish next season. Perhaps a team like Arizona, with a new coach, some awful turnover luck and a manageable schedule. Or Georgia Tech, with a potentially program-changing QB. Either program can actually make a big leap in 2021.
🤷‍♂️
Kind of lame to create this thread and not mention the positive spin they created specifically for Tech.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The OL should be better and our QB has tremendous potential after a year of experience. Now can our OC call the best plays for them to execute. No excuses this year. Our DL still needs help but could be better this year. The kicking game has to improve significantly because it may be needed to win in tight games. We couldn't even try at times last year. The coaching staff absolutely dropped the ball in that phase last year. Inexcusable.

slugboy

Staff member
The teams in tier 9 are "you should be good. please wake up and be good" teams, instead of the "meh" teams in other categories. Despite the transition, none of us are happy with 3 wins, and I'm sure Hale isn't either.
I like Hale's writing, and he knows NCAA football and the ACC, and even Georgia Tech well. There are a few haters out there that love to see us having a rough patch, but most of the writers and sportscasters that we complain about would love to see us playing well and knocking off teams, and being interesting.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. We are playing 4 teams in the first 3 tiers and 3 I think, in the bottom 3. We were a bad team last year and likely as not will remain one this year according to the author. With all the drama going on at places like Tennessee and Auburn they are ranked way above us and probably should be for a while. We have a long way to go to even be competitive.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The teams in tier 9 are "you should be good. please wake up and be good" teams, instead of the "meh" teams in other categories. Despite the transition, none of us are happy with 3 wins, and I'm sure Hale isn't either.
I like Hale's writing, and he knows NCAA football and the ACC, and even Georgia Tech well. There are a few haters out there that love to see us having a rough patch, but most of the writers and sportscasters that we complain about would love to see us playing well and knocking off teams, and being interesting.

This. While I am not happy with 6 aggregate wins in two seasons, I can see the process in place for improvement. It sucks, but I can endure another bad year or two if it sets GT up for success down the road.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Funny how we went from beating many of our ACC brethren and bowling, to hoping we can win 5 games....all in 2 years.... A rebuild we caused by burning down our own house....

I don't honestly blame the AD for moving on from the option. No coach out there is even close to CPJ from an option standpoint, so you'd be downgrading even if you kept the same offense. Had there been a clear cut 3O coach in the same stratosphere, there might have been an argument to stay with the 3O, even if it divided the fanbase. Since there wasn't the next best thing is to rip off the band aid and go for it. We chose that route. We will eventually turn the corner, but as @CuseJacket stated above, it might be the next coach that gets us there. Either way, as much as I loved the 3O at GT, I agree with the transition away from it. We just have to be patient for a little bit longer.

I don't honestly blame the AD for moving on from the option. No coach out there is even close to CPJ from an option standpoint, so you'd be downgrading even if you kept the same offense. Had their been a clear cut 3O coach in the same stratosphere, there might have been an argument to stay with the 3O, even if it divided the fanbase. Since there wasn't the next best thing is to rip off the band aid and go for it. We chose that route. We will eventually turn the corner, but as @CuseJacket stated above, it might be the next coach that gets us there. Either way, as much as I loved the 3O at GT, I agree with the transition away from it. We just have to be patient for a little bit longer.
We could have transitioned to a coach that runs the offense that Georgia Southern and Coastal Carolina run. We had the personnel to run it. We will never recruit to be able to compete while running the current scheme. 46 ranked recruiting class....not that different from the past...

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What world are yall living in where Syracuse, Duke, Vandy, and Illinois are in a "should be good" category? Those 4 teams won a combined 5 games last year and aren't exactly historical powerhouses.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
As I have said the rest of the country views us as such...

Now does Louisville belong in tier 4? HELL no. That's ridiculous. They are tier 7 at best. We are probably closer to tier7 and 6. IDK in what planet Tennessee, Nebraska, Maryland and Mich State are ahead of us. 2 of those teams had as many wins as we did last year.

This is an attempt to create an article to get people talking. essentially a click bait article. We are on par with Louisville, Pitt, and NC State right now.