Tier 9: Yikes

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This guy has us in the "BOTTOM 10" and ya'll thought bottom 25 was wacko ....
Well, if he is talking about us being in the mythical bottom 25 that guy at CBS Sports puts out every week, we were in that thing off and on all year. Given that there are so many bottom feeders in FBS now it is not clear if we truly were a bottom 25 team at the end of the year, probably not. For sure, both the offensive line and the secondary were in the bottom 25. IIWII

GT_EE78

Banned
Well, if he is talking about us being in the mythical bottom 25 that guy at CBS Sports puts out every week, we were in that thing off and on all year. Given that there are so many bottom feeders in FBS now it is not clear if we truly were a bottom 25 team at the end of the year, probably not. For sure, both the offensive line and the secondary were in the bottom 25. IIWII
it was a messed up year for both top and bottom 25 trying to rank teams with different numbers of games played.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Have not been on here for a while and it looks like there is still lots of different opinions. I think that is a good thing.

In general I agree that Tech is in a lower tier. With two 3 win seasons, how could you argue Tech is not a bottom 25 team. I am in agreement with those that believe recruiting has improved. Still need the elusive kicker and defensive linemen (although I admit I have not kept up with recruiting or the transfer portal). Hey, Collins is our guy and I support him 100% but to bash a poster for complaining to me does not make sense. There is plenty to complain about. And there is much to be hopeful about.

I desperately hope year 3 is the breakout year like Ross. After sitting through the Clemson game behind the Clemson bench watching the Clemson players and staff run the score up, I wondered if Tech has what it takes to climb up to a top tier. The Citadel game was bad, but the Clemson game brought me back to a reality of where college football is today. Tech is closer to Citadel than Clemson. It is going to be tough to overcome the deficit. I admit I am not a patient man. And it is going to be hard to remain positive during the transition.

I agree with the way Collins is selling Tech and that the institute has so much to offer. We will see if the process works.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
it was a messed up year for both top and bottom 25 trying to rank teams with different numbers of games played.
The only thing that was for certain is that the true factory elites remain the same: UGA, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. The top dozen or so are way beyond the rest. If this sort of thing continues, instead of players choosing to "opt out" it will be fans doing the opting.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Have not been on here for a while and it looks like there is still lots of different opinions. I think that is a good thing.

In general I agree that Tech is in a lower tier. With two 3 win seasons, how could you argue Tech is not a bottom 25 team. I am in agreement with those that believe recruiting has improved. Still need the elusive kicker and defensive linemen (although I admit I have not kept up with recruiting or the transfer portal). Hey, Collins is our guy and I support him 100% but to bash a poster for complaining to me does not make sense. There is plenty to complain about. And there is much to be hopeful about.

I desperately hope year 3 is the breakout year like Ross. After sitting through the Clemson game behind the Clemson bench watching the Clemson players and staff run the score up, I wondered if Tech has what it takes to climb up to a top tier. The Citadel game was bad, but the Clemson game brought me back to a reality of where college football is today. Tech is closer to Citadel than Clemson. It is going to be tough to overcome the deficit. I admit I am not a patient man. And it is going to be hard to remain positive during the transition.

I agree with the way Collins is selling Tech and that the institute has so much to offer. We will see if the process works.
I don't think we are truly in the "Tier Nine" as it were but you don't have to be in that tier to be a pretty bad football team which is what we have been for two years in a row. Players don't like it? Now is the time to do something about it. The 2021 season starts now. Get better and fans will not be reading about Tech being in the bottom 25 and tier nines and such.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I'm just trying to understand what makes people believe Collins will win more than 3 or 4 games. We knew with Paul Johnson that when we had a losing season, we would bounce back and improve. We never had back to back losing seasons with CPJ. He was a proven winner and proved he could coach. I guess we'll see with Collins if he can coach. But his record so far is not good.
Has the first statement been answered by anyone already?
Recruiting
Scheme changes take time
Selling ATL to young black guys=easy
Difficult schedules should lighten up soon
Takes time to settle into the role as HC. He’s made some bad timing decisions but some of those things just take time to learn.

I think CGC knows how to evaluate who the difference makers are(he has history here)and then also what it takes to get them to GT. Difference makers(Gibbs) win games almost by themselves sometimes.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Those complaining about this site have never been on a Tech forum after a loss or during the off season. Having been on Buzz off, Sting Talk, And the Hive almost from the beginning, you ain’t seen nothing yet.
Buzz Off and Sting Talk got unbearable. The “big cry” emoji. Oof.

I always loved getting Eric’s updates. He’s the best. Miss that guys info. Hopefully the kid or kids grow up and he can get back to what’s really important

I think the Collins experiment will go one of two ways. After this season.......which will be a 3-4 win season, he will get a new OC and change the scheme to better suit what he needs to run. Or he will muddle through the next 2 seasons with less than 6 wins......and he will be a very good coach at his next stop because he will have learned how to be a head coach. Georgia Tech is not a very easy place to be head coach. Our Academics limit us and we are surrounded by football factories. The press and 90% of the state sees you as little brother and now there is even contention from two other programs, Georgia State and Georgia Southern.

I am hoping that he chooses option 1.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I think the Collins experiment will go one of two ways. After this season.......which will be a 3-4 win season, he will get a new OC and change the scheme to better suit what he needs to run. Or he will muddle through the next 2 seasons with less than 6 wins......and he will be a very good coach at his next stop because he will have learned how to be a head coach. Georgia Tech is not a very easy place to be head coach. Our Academics limit us and we are surrounded by football factories. The press and 90% of the state sees you as little brother and now there is even contention from two other programs, Georgia State and Georgia Southern.

I am hoping that he chooses option 1.
I agree with you on option one. My fear is, it will not be a clear enough choice for CGC to hire a new OC, especially with the defensive side of the ball looking like the bigger issue of the two most of the time. Being a head coach anywhere can be difficult , but what you cannot do, like in any profession in a top position, is let your judgement get clouded. P'naude probably realizes this may be the top of the mountain in his career. No shame in that. But relying on verbal FUTURE performance to keep any job has to end eventually. If he is getting the players, does he know how to utilize them to their best advantage? Some of us don't want to realize we don't measure up, unless we get fired, or demoted, etc.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with you on option one. My fear is, it will not be a clear enough choice for CGC to hire a new OC, especially with the defensive side of the ball looking like the bigger issue of the two most of the time. Being a head coach anywhere can be difficult , but what you cannot do, like in any profession in a top position, is let your judgement get clouded. P'naude probably realizes this may be the top of the mountain in his career. No shame in that. But relying on verbal FUTURE performance to keep any job has to end eventually. If he is getting the players, does he know how to utilize them to their best advantage? Some of us don't want to realize we don't measure up, unless we get fired, or demoted, etc.
The upcoming season is in my opinion, critical to CGC. I still feel he needs an upset win and to show improvement over his first two years. I know he has a 7 year contract. But year three is important. If coaching changes are needed, he needs to make the team successful.

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
The offense wasn’t the problem last year, it was the defense. The offense without a doubt got better, the defense got worse. I want to see Collins succeed, if the defense is top 40 next year we win 6 games. If not we continue to have the same conversation a year from now.