This kind of stuff is way different from CPJ

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope Geoff Collins will have the Jackets lowering the boom on Coach Cutcliffe and Duke yearly. It's time that Georgia Tech leaps over Duke in football.

The same people who made the "Duke outspends us!!" excuse for the former coach getting whipped annually by Duke in recruiting and on the field are now STILL upset that we appear to be spending more and doing things differently! I guess they're just mad the old option scheme is gone and placed the love of the scheme and the option in front of actually winning football games.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
who in the heck posted that? Conversely, this thread has several people who are clearly more fans of the previous coach than the school, seeing how angry they are at Collins' way of doing things.

This seems to be more and more true each day. Every thread has to have one of the usual 3-4 posters come in and remind us that CPJ was treated unfairly by the fans and school and didn't have the advantages that CGC had. Either CGC will do well here and all we will hear is that CPJ would have done just as well if he had the "resources" or he will fail and these same 3-4 posters can come on here and say "I told you so." Either way they get to be right in their own mind.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
some fans seem to be strangely mad that Coach Collins isn't taking the former recruiting strategy of "only go after the low-hanging FCS fruit". You'd think getting passed by Duke would be an eye opener!
Actually, I did a post on this recently. Duke has recruited better in recent years, but Tech still has the edge, both now and in the past. Duke is "better" then we are so far this year because they have 1 4 star recruit. Ours and all the rest of theirs are 3 stars. Over the last 10 years, Tech has done much better.

Btw, if you think Paul only went after "low-hanging FCS fruit", then how did we get Graham and King (both 4 stars, btw) just last year? I'd stick to the numbers and pay more attention, if I were you.

Animal02

Banned
A lot of people here are predicting that our recruiting will be better under CGC and we will hopefully see a few more high level guys sign each year.

Somehow that gets twisted into "guaranteeing 4 and 5 star recruits and competing for national championships" by the usual suspects.
No, that was the predictions by multiple posters in one fashion or another . Seems like the bar keeps getting reset lower and lower by "all the usual suspects"

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
No, that was the predictions by multiple posters in one fashion or another . Seems like the bar keeps getting reset lower and lower by "all the usual suspects"

Like I said, I'm sure if this was said by so many posters like you are saying it would be easy to find some examples to prove your point. So why don't you show us a few examples of these predictions for national titles and multiple 5 stars? :whistle: Seems like a strawman to me (and a lot of others apparently).

Wreckaholic

Georgia Tech Fan
Dang we can be a black/white bunch when I thought engineers were taught to look outside the box.

It is a fact that spending was limited before ADTS. He even said that CPJ was not provided the resources he needed to succeed. That is a fact. The first thing TS did was a slight increase in the recruiting staff. Again, fact. It is also fact that with the increase our staff is still smaller than Dukes. It appears, but afaik, is not confirmed, that more money is available for Coaches than was previously.

Duke is a better program now than they were about 5-10 years ago. They have increased their spend and commitment to football vs the commitment that GT made towards football in the same time frame. Cut is also a good coach.

I would have liked to have seen what would have happened to recruiting under CPJ with the increased commitment.

That said, I also think CGC has a better grasp on what it takes to market GT in today's world. That understanding along with the increased commitment should yield better recruiting results. If CGC and staff can also coach those players as well or better than CPJ did that will be saying something and the results for GT will be much, much better and hopefully more consistent than we have seen in a very long time.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
some fans seem to be strangely mad that Coach Collins isn't taking the former recruiting strategy of "only go after the low-hanging FCS fruit". You'd think getting passed by Duke would be an eye opener!

Many bow down at the alter of martyr style of recruiting by TPR.

"The recruits have to show an interest in you as well". Yeah, coach, that is part of your job. Combine that with "I don't care about the stars given to recruits".

Then the response is "look how great my O is with low ranking recruits."

In the past 11 years puke has averaged 6.6 wins per year with a weak, and advantageous, schedule. Their best bowl game since the 60s has been the chik-fil-a that they lost. In the last 11 years their best ranking was 19 - once & in one poll.

This is called dumbing down.

CGC wants to stop this.

Animal02

Banned
Like I said, I'm sure if this was said by so many posters like you are saying it would be easy to find some examples to prove your point. So why don't you show us a few examples of these predictions for national titles and multiple 5 stars? :whistle: Seems like a strawman to me (and a lot of others apparently).
Not going to Wade through thousands of posts if mostly ignored posters to give you your jollys.....but this is one that is not so over the top as the school girl crush types.......not to mention the absolute delusional video that was posted a while back.
I want to see collins take this where I know he can. But will we have the backing of the school and alumni?! I believe with all my heart we can be a multiple national title contender within the next 15 years.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Not going to Wade through thousands of posts if mostly ignored posters to give you your jollys.....but this is one that is not so over the top as the school girl crush types.......not to mention the absolute delusional video that was posted a while back.

so one guy is extremely optimistic but doesn't even mention recruiting nor stars and vaguely says something about nattys within the next 15 years? That's nothing like your rant.
:rolleyes:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The same people who made the "Duke outspends us!!" excuse for the former coach getting whipped annually by Duke in recruiting and on the field are now STILL upset that we appear to be spending more and doing things differently! I guess they're just mad the old option scheme is gone and placed the love of the scheme and the option in front of actually winning football games.

Who has complained about an increase in spending?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I dont follow recruiting, so I dont mean this tread to be about this kid, but about the fact they recruited the moment they could, at 12:01am!

Not unique, not new. Billy Donovan used the tactic when he went to Florida many years ago. I assume they call and let the people know because in some of those neighborhoods you could get shot in the dark at 12:01 a.m.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

Yep that was CPJ's strategy in a nutshell, just poach recruits from FCS teams.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not unique, not new. Billy Donovan used the tactic when he went to Florida many years ago. I assume they call and let the people know because in some of those neighborhoods you could get shot in the dark at 12:01 a.m.

This tactic is straight off the GOL Playbook when cgc was here then. At that time gt was known for these things.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
while I agree with your post and your friend, I really wonder if this really is any different now than what it was 40-50 years ago? the top teams have always had the best talent.
Back in the Dodd heyday,we had tremendous talent.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At some point u need to state what u think is an acceptable improvement.
I have made mine 2019 - 2 4* on offense and 2 4* on defense. That's my ok number.

You can start a thread and put your " minimum, ok , and wow numbers.

And yes performance on field, gradxrate , misspelled words, etc matter.