This kind of stuff is way different from CPJ

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
But as soon as "everyone does it" it will no longer be effective. Would rather have longer term effective strategy than gimmicks every week.

Maybe "gimmicks every week" is the long term effective strategy? Collins is known for being on the cutting edge for recruiting. For example, he was on social media before all of the other coaches were back in 06/07 and he was a major part of getting that amazing class together for us.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Maybe "gimmicks every week" is the long term effective strategy? Collins is known for being on the cutting edge for recruiting. For example, he was on social media before all of the other coaches were back in 06/07 and he was a major part of getting that amazing class together for us.

I certainly don’t think it’s hurting him at all. Not my style but I’m a grumpy old bastard at heart. He’s making a splash with recruits and media and generating some buzz. I think it will be effective with young dumb impressionable minds....the majority of recruits.

Animal02

Banned
I certainly don’t think it’s hurting him at all. Not my style but I’m a grumpy old bastard at heart. He’s making a splash with recruits and media and generating some buzz. I think it will be effective with young dumb impressionable minds....the majority of recruits.
My experience has been that those "splashes" have less and less effect......kind of like stores that are always having a sale of some sort, you gloss over and ignore them after a while.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
My experience has been that those "splashes" have less and less effect......kind of like stores that are always having a sale of some sort, you gloss over and ignore them after a while.

Probably but even still it probably doesn’t hurt with the majority of kids so no real harm. And it helps him establish himself as “The Guy” here now as well as his messaging. Smart to take advantage of the positive buzz of the newness of things. If next year isn’t pretty decent he may not be able to recapture it.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
This is definitely different than the way things were done at Tech in the past. Honest question: Is this unusual for other schools? Is Kirby Smart visiting recruits at midnight?
I don't know specifically about Kirby at 12:01, but it's not new or unusual in recruiting at all.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

Jmonty71

Banned
I'll say this. Where is comes to recruits.. 7 things to think about.

1. High ranked recruits already have scouts and agents directing them. Those agents and scouts send them to places to show off their skill for 3 years. Basically, a 3 year audition.
2. Recruits like to join teams that have winning traditions / records. Most people want to be part of a winning program. It's hard pressed to get a good recruit to join a school, that historically loses.
3. Recruits (overall) care less and less about education and more about just playing the game and doing the min., to get by.
4. There are some recruits (usually lower 3 and 2 stars), that know the NFL is a long shot and try to go to schools, to yield good jobs. (This seems to be GT's sweet spot)
5. Recruiting, lately, has become like campaign smearing politics.
6. The NCAA turns a blind eye to large programs that yield the NCAA tons of money.. So, even if these schools are breaking rules, it's unlikely the NCAA will react, or will do slaps on the wrist. (USC perfect example). They should of gotten the death penalty.
7. There are some recruits that are loyal fans and/or grew up with an alumni, in house. This (sometimes) persuades their decisions. However; I see less and less of this.

GT has a tall order, to reach the top in recruiting. Between the tough classes and late issues of winning, I just don't see GT as a prime location.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this. Where is comes to recruits.. 7 things to think about.

1. High ranked recruits already have scouts and agents directing them. Those agents and scouts send them to places to show off their skill for 3 years. Basically, a 3 year audition.
2. Recruits like to join teams that have winning traditions / records. Most people want to be part of a winning program. It's hard pressed to get a good recruit to join a school, that historically loses.
3. Recruits (overall) care less and less about education and more about just playing the game and doing the min., to get by.
4. There are some recruits (usually lower 3 and 2 stars), that know the NFL is a long shot and try to go to schools, to yield good jobs. (This seems to be GT's sweet spot)
5. Recruiting, lately, has become like campaign smearing politics.
6. The NCAA turns a blind eye to large programs that yield the NCAA tons of money.. So, even if these schools are breaking rules, it's unlikely the NCAA will react, or will do slaps on the wrist. (USC perfect example). They should of gotten the death penalty.
7. There are some recruits that are loyal fans and/or grew up with an alumni, in house. This (sometimes) persuades their decisions. However; I see less and less of this.

GT has a tall order, to reach the top in recruiting. Between the tough classes and late issues of winning, I just don't see GT as a prime location.
Yep. That covers the waterfront alright. Thanks.

One caveat: we've won enough recently that I don't see any "late issues of winning" as a major obstacle. The easy answer for any recruit looking at Tech and Miami, for instance, would be, "Did you know we beat them last year? And won as many games as they did?" Our big obstacle is the effort needed to get in and stay in.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I don't know specifically about Kirby at 12:01, but it's not new or unusual in recruiting at all.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"
Between 0001 and 0400 mutt coaches are monitoring the police blotter. You don’t need an extra guy if you can get the one you got out of jail!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One thing about this thread bothers me and I see it in a lot of other ones.

You'd think that Paul didn't a) know that recruiting was important or b) paid any attention to it. Nothing could be further from the truth. He did the best he could with the declining resources (thanks, Bob) that he had available. And, in fact, since he recruited for a system offense, we almost always over performed our recruiting rankings. He knew who to look for. Too bad we couldn't get some of his prime recruits on the field.

It remains to be seen if the efforts by the new staff will result in better recruiting. Personally, I think we'll do better, but not by a terrific amount. Example = we have three athletes in this recruiting class that were .01 away from being four stars. If they had all been four stars - and there can't be much of a significant difference - then we'd be in the high 30s in the rankings. (Or so a post here said, I haven't done the calculations.) I think we can get 3 - 5 four star recruits a year (low 30s) if the recruiting infrastructure matures and we bring Tech's analytical chops to bear. And we win enough to make our efforts look serious. Getting to the 20s, however, is probably something we can't look to do very often. But we'll see.

Getting better results with better players, however, is a separate issue. That's also up in the air.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
No, it really hasn't changed that much. Dodd could get good players out of every state in the South especially Florida. Lenny Snow was from Florida, Craig Baynam was from South Carolina, Larry Morris was from Mississippi, Don Toner was from Alabama etc. That is one of the reasons why the Mississippi schools hated him so much was that he was forever getting one or two of the best players out of Mississippi. Atlanta and the nationwide recognition of Tech were the draws. One difference might be the lopsided nature of who is getting the absolute top level talent. It is pretty much limited to elite of college football: Alabama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State, Florida, FSU, USCw, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma etc. with 50 or so second tier schools scrambling for leftovers.

Larry Morris was from Decatur.

George Morris from Mississippi.

Just sayin.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing about this thread bothers me and I see it in a lot of other ones.

You'd think that Paul didn't a) know that recruiting was important or b) paid any attention to it. Nothing could be further from the truth. He did the best he could with the declining resources (thanks, Bob) that he had available. And, in fact, since he recruited for a system offense, we almost always over performed our recruiting rankings. He knew who to look for. Too bad we couldn't get some of his prime recruits on the field.

It remains to be seen if the efforts by the new staff will result in better recruiting. Personally, I think we'll do better, but not by a terrific amount. Example = we have three athletes in this recruiting class that were .01 away from being four stars. If they had all been four stars - and there can't be much of a significant difference - then we'd be in the high 30s in the rankings. (Or so a post here said, I haven't done the calculations.) I think we can get 3 - 5 four star recruits a year (low 30s) if the recruiting infrastructure matures and we bring Tech's analytical chops to bear. And we win enough to make our efforts look serious. Getting to the 20s, however, is probably something we can't look to do very often. But we'll see.

Getting better results with better players, however, is a separate issue. That's also up in the air.

I think Johnson knew recruiting was important, but didn't have the RELENTLESS JUICE that the new staff has. He knew it was important, but wasn't showing up on a recruits doorstep at midnight and only seemed to use Twitter reluctantly. I agree that he deserved more support, but those two things I listed cost $0. I don't dislike Johnson and believe he's one of the best football coaches out there, but I don't know that he's a great program manager like I expect Collins to be.

More importantly however is the ratings you speak of. They aren't 0.01 away from 4*, they're 0.1 away. And that doesn't sound significant until you see that the system essentially spreads between 5.2 for a low 2*, and 6.1 for a 5*. So 0.1 on that scalescale more like 10/100. And if I could have convinced my professors that 10 points isn't "that much of a significant difference" then I would have had a much better GPA.

gtme2000

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not sure CPJ had to work this hard to get Charleston Southern/Rutgers recruits. But based on this board i feel that GT will not only have its first 5* recruit ever we will be swimming in them :)
Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. Lets direct this energy at those ESPN 100 recruits as I was promised.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure CPJ had to work this hard to get Charleston Southern/Rutgers recruits. But based on this board i feel that GT will not only have its first 5* recruit ever we will be swimming in them :)
Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. Lets direct this energy at those ESPN 100 recruits as I was promised.

Where do people get this stuff? Please show us one example of someone making this claim.

Gotta love the people who show up in every recruiting thread to say the same line about how they were promised 4 and 5 stars, when literally nobody has ever said that on this board.