This kind of stuff is way different from CPJ

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure CPJ had to work this hard to get Charleston Southern/Rutgers recruits. But based on this board i feel that GT will not only have its first 5* recruit ever we will be swimming in them :)
Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. Lets direct this energy at those ESPN 100 recruits as I was promised.
Calm down there guy... lol

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

Animal02

Banned
Where do people get this stuff? Please show us one example of someone making this claim.

Gotta love the people who show up in every recruiting thread to say the same line about how they were promised 4 and 5 stars, when literally nobody has ever said that on this board.
There have been several people that have posted they are expecting multiple 4-5 star recruits EVERY year, consistent top 20 ranking and competing for NCs in a few years

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
My experience has been that those "splashes" have less and less effect......kind of like stores that are always having a sale of some sort, you gloss over and ignore them after a while.

Remember that every year you're marketing to different customers (recruiting different players). It's not the same person going to the same store and seeing the same sales pitch. On the other hand it does show kids that our coaches are willing to have fun with the whole process and make it special for each of them in their own ways. And maybe that's part of our new identity? I think GEICO started people thinking differently about insurance companies and now everyone has to do these funny ads and that's become part of their identity (as kitchy as many of those ads are but now from GEICO you expect that).

Another point I'd make is that right now we need to get the word out that things are new and different at GT. Please don't take that as a knock on our previous coaches. It truly isn't meant that way. But it's more of a "if you think you know GT then you really don't" kind of thing. We've got to get the word out there as much as possible because the "buzz" from a change doesn't last long so you need to capitalize on it as much as possible while you can.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Call it hype, salesmanship or whatever you want, but I like it, it's energy and creates optimism for the future of the program ... and if you want to do a "so-far" thing, consider the staff he's put together.
I have never been a huge fan of star ratings, but I think we need more talent across the board and this staff definitely is going to have the ability to go get it !

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Johnson knew recruiting was important, but didn't have the RELENTLESS JUICE that the new staff has. He knew it was important, but wasn't showing up on a recruits doorstep at midnight and only seemed to use Twitter reluctantly. I agree that he deserved more support, but those two things I listed cost $0. I don't dislike Johnson and believe he's one of the best football coaches out there, but I don't know that he's a great program manager like I expect Collins to be.

More importantly however is the ratings you speak of. They aren't 0.01 away from 4*, they're 0.1 away. And that doesn't sound significant until you see that the system essentially spreads between 5.2 for a low 2*, and 6.1 for a 5*. So 0.1 on that scalescale more like 10/100. And if I could have convinced my professors that 10 points isn't "that much of a significant difference" then I would have had a much better GPA.
1. "I think Johnson knew recruiting was important, but didn't have the RELENTLESS JUICE that the new staff has. He knew it was important, but wasn't showing up on a recruits doorstep at midnight and only seemed to use Twitter reluctantly." And you know this how, exactly? I think Paul was plenty relentless with recruiting and used every trick he could think of to succeed. But using Twitter is a choice. If you think it is a major bother, get your assistants to use it - they did, a lot, and they were the ones the recruits had major contact with. I think Paul thought of himself as a closer, especially to convince whole families that their sons would be in good heads at Tech. There's plenty of evidence that that worked; most of his players were closely attached to him. I don't, however, think Paul was a horn blower. Unlike some coaches we know. We'll see how that plays out. I'm not expecting any real results on our recruiting until next year, however.

2. Depends on the scale used by the services. Rivals uses the scale you are talking about. 247, oth, uses a 4 point decimal scale. That's the one the post I referred to was talking about. So, yes, it was (supposedly) a .01 difference and that isn't significant. I'll look into this and get back to it later.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
There have been several people that have posted they are expecting multiple 4-5 star recruits EVERY year, consistent top 20 ranking and competing for NCs in a few years

I'm sure with several people posting these things it will be pretty easy to find some examples of people saying we will get multiple 5 stars and compete for national championships within a few years.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Went back and looked. Looks like the previous poster was wrong.

247 does rate players on a 4 point decimal scale with 1.000 (Russell Wilson, I guess) as the perfect football player. However, they round up. So, for instance, Uzzi was a 4 star because he rated out at .8905. That rounds up to .90 and is the low score for 4 star players. This makes good sense if you aren't all that sure of your ratings - and they aren't, with good reason.

This year Tech has three players rated at .8705 and better, but nobody would go up to a 4 star with a .01 increase in their score. Still, I'm willing to bet that one of them will end up being the college equivalent of a 5 star. The differences just aren't that great and 247 admits that it can't realistically scout every player. Here you could look at Demetrius Knight. He wasn't rated until Tech signed him and let it slip that he ran a 4.45 40 at 215 at Tech's camp. That raised an eyebrow or three and led (apparently) to them looking at his film. Bingo! He's a mid three star.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
2. Depends on the scale used by the services. Rivals uses the scale you are talking about. 247, oth, uses a 4 point decimal scale. That's the one the post I referred to was talking about. So, yes, it was (supposedly) a .01 difference and that isn't significant. I'll look into this and get back to it later.
0.1 is a significant difference (on any of the major recruiting sites), 0.01 would not be. We don't have anyone within .01 of being a 4*... yet. Just to save you some time.

That said, coaching staffs use their own evaluations not those sites'. There are recruiting services programs use, again not the same as the sites. That's not to take anything away from Rivals, 247, ESPN Scouts Inc, etc. Their evaluators put in A LOT of work and travel.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

Last edited:

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
Went back and looked. Looks like the previous poster was wrong.

247 does rate players on a 4 point decimal scale with 1.000 (Russell Wilson, I guess) as the perfect football player. However, they round up. So, for instance, Uzzi was a 4 star because he rated out at .8905. That rounds up to .90 and is the low score for 4 star players. This makes good sense if you aren't all that sure of your ratings - and they aren't, with good reason.

This year Tech has three players rated at .8705 and better, but nobody would go up to a 4 star with a .01 increase in their score. Still, I'm willing to bet that one of them will end up being the college equivalent of a 5 star. The differences just aren't that great and 247 admits that it can't realistically scout every player. Here you could look at Demetrius Knight. He wasn't rated until Tech signed him and let it slip that he ran a 4.45 40 at 215 at Tech's camp. That raised an eyebrow or three and led (apparently) to them looking at his film. Bingo! He's a mid three star.

Mad respect for going back and looking. I still disagree with you that Johnson valued recruiting properly as there was rarely any buzz about it made. But, I do agree with you that we'll have a couple killer atheletes who were graded as three stars, just as some of this year's five stars just won't pan out.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
SOME people have been heard to say stuff.

SEVERAL people misspoke in a link.

THE OTHER is smart but are a bit gruff

I NEED YOUR roll eyes that make me blink.

Google The other

JackD

Georgia Tech Fan
Where do people get this stuff? Please show us one example of someone making this claim.

Gotta love the people who show up in every recruiting thread to say the same line about how they were promised 4 and 5 stars, when literally nobody has ever said that on this board.

Let's start by beating out Duke and NC State before we move on to the bluechips. Gotta walk before we run and lately we've been crawling.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure with several people posting these things it will be pretty easy to find some examples of people saying we will get multiple 5 stars and compete for national championships within a few years.
The one thing I am confident of is that you can find someone saying pretty much anything you can dream up.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

some fans seem to be strangely mad that Coach Collins isn't taking the former recruiting strategy of "only go after the low-hanging FCS fruit". You'd think getting passed by Duke would be an eye opener!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
0.1 is a significant difference (on any of the major recruiting sites), 0.01 would not be. We don't have anyone within .01 of being a 4*... yet. Just to save you some time.
On 247, it would be if you were ranked .8801. .8801 + .01 = .8901 and they would round that to .90 and make you a 4 star. But, yes, we don't have anybody this year who's that close.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

who in the heck posted that? Conversely, this thread has several people who are clearly more fans of the previous coach than the school, seeing how angry they are at Collins' way of doing things.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
some fans seem to be strangely mad that Coach Collins isn't taking the former recruiting strategy of "only go after the low-hanging FCS fruit". You'd think getting passed by Duke would be an eye opener!

A lot of people here are predicting that our recruiting will be better under CGC and we will hopefully see a few more high level guys sign each year.

Somehow that gets twisted into "guaranteeing 4 and 5 star recruits and competing for national championships" by the usual suspects.