This kind of stuff is way different from CPJ

LibertyTurns

Banned
There were 22 people on here that voted that GT would become a National Football Powerhouse, defined as playing for multiple National Championships giving it soemwhere north of a 1/3 chance of happening depending on which percentage you picked. Half of these gave it better than a 50% chance of happening.

Powerhouse, not just an occasional contender. Multiple infers more than one, more than a couple which is two. I believe that means that people are saying at least 3 which to me is several and more likely 4 or more. Give coach 5 years to get all his pieces in place and that means Bammer or Clemson level, not butt sniffing mutt levels of once every fourth decade. Just saying.

Animal02

Banned
There were 22 people on here that voted that GT would become a National Football Powerhouse, defined as playing for multiple National Championships giving it soemwhere north of a 1/3 chance of happening depending on which percentage you picked. Half of these gave it better than a 50% chance of happening.

Powerhouse, not just an occasional contender. Multiple infers more than one, more than a couple which is two. I believe that means that people are saying at least 3 which to me is several and more likely 4 or more. Give coach 5 years to get all his pieces in place and that means Bammer or Clemson level, not butt sniffing mutt levels of once every fourth decade. Just saying.
That 22 would account for all of the school girl crushers:shifty:. But don't worry Wade will move the goal posts again

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The "rigors of recruiting" at Tech are still intact and will be for the foreseeable future, but three things that held us back in years past are ameliorated or gone. In order of importance (IMO)...

1. We have more staff and apparently more money allocated for recruiting.
2. I believe we have a better recruiter at the helm and better recruiters on the coaching staff.
3. We have jettisoned the scheme that I believe may have held back recruiting a bit in the past.

But as you point out, it may take time. We'll see what happens.

Expressed the changes much better than I could have done. Pretty much nailed down what has ALREADY happened in short order. Quite astonishing really. Will it move the needle is the $64,ooo question (Kids ask your parents or grand parents about that allusion).

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Don't be sad, cause three out of four ain't bad.

True, which is why I kind of lean to Coach Johnson's last year being a pretty good job all things considered. Anytime Tech beats Virginia Tech, Miami, and Virginia in one year is a pretty fair season. Too bad we lost to Duke and Pitt but given our limitations Coach Johnson and his staff have nothing to be ashamed of.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That 22 would account for all of the school girl crushers:shifty:. But don't worry Wade will move the goal posts again
Call them what you want if you feel like it makes you feel better. At least they have the balls to make a prediction and they’re not backpedaling already suggesting we won’t even beat the Ctadel. There’s enough bait & switchers on here to fill up Nigeria. They’ll make a bold proclamation in one thread, hedge their bet in another & suggest they meant neither in a third.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Let's ban them for not believing that we will be average w some years better and some years below.
Glad u rounded up these irrationally optimistic posters.
Instead of banning let's put them in Animal's Average Jail for 6 weeks at hard labor.
️‍♂️️‍♂️️‍♂️️‍♂️️‍♂️️‍♂️

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech fans having this type of optimism is also "Way different from CPJ". Everyone knew that top-40 recruiting classes and a shot at a natty were pipe dreams under CPJ. That Coach Collins has generated this type of enthusiasm with his approach to recruiting and hiring of new staff is certainly refreshing and also "way different from CPJ". Pulling coaches away from Alabama and Auburn is also "way different from CPJ".

Hopefully we'll never hear that godawful shoulder-shrugging mantra of "It Is What It Is" EVER again. That'd also be "way different from CPJ".

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Call them what you want if you feel like it makes you feel better. At least they have the balls to make a prediction and they’re not backpedaling already suggesting we won’t even beat the Ctadel. There’s enough bait & switchers on here to fill up Nigeria. They’ll make a bold proclamation in one thread, hedge their bet in another & suggest they meant neither in a third.
Those are considering a career in politics...

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Tech fans having this type of optimism is also "Way different from CPJ". Everyone knew that top-40 recruiting classes and a shot at a natty were pipe dreams under CPJ. That Coach Collins has generated this type of enthusiasm with his approach to recruiting and hiring of new staff is certainly refreshing and also "way different from CPJ". Pulling coaches away from Alabama and Auburn is also "way different from CPJ".

Hopefully we'll never hear that godawful shoulder-shrugging mantra of "It Is What It Is" EVER again. That'd also be "way different from CPJ".

We were 11 points from playing in the first ever CFP and potential shot at a national championship, in reality if smelter takes a knee instead of scoring a touchdown at UNC or we stick byerly in earlier at duke. We were not that far away.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't really care about stars.....if we ran out of he table and didn't place one player in NFL I would be perfectly happy.
The school girl crushers have been predicting multiple NC and multiple 4&5 * recruits every year. Now, some of the crushers are walking that back and saying those claims were never made. And then there is "losing seasons crowds" Seems the bar keeps getting lowered for the new Saint on the flats.
Personally....I think we will settle in to our tradiotradi average...some really good years and an occasional real bad one.
The big question for me is, will the slight uptick in recruiting, assuming we have one, offset the fact we're going run a fairly generic offense and defense (or at least one with little to no schematic advantage)?

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The big question for me is, will the slight uptick in recruiting, assuming we have one, offset the fact we're going run a fairly generic offense and defense (or at least one with little to no schematic advantage)?

Exactly my concern, DCS, but I am hoping against hope that no matter what CGC has stated publicly (to assist with recruiting), he plans to run an offense that is not "generic" and difficult to predict due to multiple sets, blocking schemes, etc.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Exactly my concern, DCS, but I am hoping against hope that no matter what CGC has stated publicly (to assist with recruiting), he plans to run an offense that is not "generic" and difficult to predict due to multiple sets, blocking schemes, etc.
And then there's in-game coaching, play calling, adjustments, tweaks, "chess playing", etc. Stuff the last guy was real good at.

Animal02

Banned
And will there be any game day coaching advantage.....offense or defense?
If it is all about recruiting.......why isn't FSU the NC (or close) for the last two years considering the recruiting classes they had ;)