This kind of stuff is way different from CPJ

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This argument is beyond ridiculous. CPJ was a good coach but there are plenty of others as well. In the end, CPJ ended at the same place as CCG. Let it go and get behind the new staff or find another team like Navy. Every thread can not be the same arguments.
When you assert your opinion on the last coach, why would you not expect someone with a different opinion to respond? If you want people with the opposite opinion to shut the hell up, maybe you should try it first?

Animal02

Banned
I agree.

I’d like to point out that of these four requirements for a successful college football program—(1) recruiting, (2) coaching, (3) keeping the players academically eligible, and (4) maintaining discipline through enforcement of team rules—our new head football coach has not yet proven to have accomplished any of them yet.

He has just started. Let’s give him time and see how everything goes.

I hope he succeeds!
I agree.....I am not knocking the new coach at all.......just some of the posters. :D

Animal02

Banned
This argument is beyond ridiculous. CPJ was a good coach but there are plenty of others as well. In the end, CPJ ended at the same place as CCG. Let it go and get behind the new staff or find another team like Navy. Every thread can not be the same arguments.
That is quite the spin. Ended at the same place? Retired instead of being fired. Won the Orange Bowl.....ACC champs one year, beat UGAG several times. Not even close to the same place.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We were 11 points from playing in the first ever CFP and potential shot at a national championship, in reality if smelter takes a knee instead of scoring a touchdown at UNC or we stick byerly in earlier at duke. We were not that far away.

Losing to the mutts in 09
One thing you can say about this coaching staff they work hard on recruiting, all we can do is hope the hard work pays off.

They are pushing “branding” and social media exposure very hard also.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Multiple years of history on this board would indicate you are not correct in your last sentence.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm glad that seemingly good recruiters (and ones with more energy, as stech81 pointed out) were hired to the coaching staff, because that has been a major, major stumbling block, one that pretty much prohibits us from competing with the big boys on a consistent basis. CPJ's scheme gave us an advantage on game day that cannot be denied (IMO), but it was just time for a change. I think CPJ himself knew that, which is why he very gracefully bowed out. We have got to start recruiting better than we have been (and I'll reiterate that money and staffing were major impediments, and still are, although improved). I hope and think we will.

We are still lagging far behind in support and it drains our current juice in comparison.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
We were 11 points from playing in the first ever CFP and potential shot at a national championship, in reality if smelter takes a knee instead of scoring a touchdown at UNC or we stick byerly in earlier at duke. We were not that far away.

It was always 'if we had done this' or 'if we had done that' for most of the past 11 years. Hopefully Coach Collins can change that mindset too.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
And will there be any game day coaching advantage.....offense or defense?
If it is all about recruiting.......why isn't FSU the NC (or close) for the last two years considering the recruiting classes they had ;)

Offensive line problems. Some of their five star offensive line recruits did not pan out and there is talk in the Sunshine State that FSU's coaching has not been up to par. Offensive linemen are traditionally the hardest position to extrapolate talent from high school to the college level. Some guys work at it and get better but many never get used to not being the biggest, strongest guy on the field like they were in high school. FSU, like Miami and UNC, manages to do less with more talent than most. IIWII.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well.....according to some of the posters here......all you need is recruiting and a "NFL scheme" ;)

If it were only so easy. But make no mistake, recruiting is the life blood of any college program. Coach O'Leary used to say: "Recruiting is like shaving, miss a day and you look like a bum" It is an ongoing every day process that often means lots of work for little profit. In the late 1950s, Coach Dodd was so depressed about recruiting at Tech that he seriously considered going to Texas. He said something along the lines of: (paraphrasing here) Having bad players will get you beat every time. I can coach and scheme around a bad offense but not a bad defense. Some things never change and the challenges inherent in recruiting at Tech is one of them.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We beat a lot of teams with "better recruiting" than us over the years, some with WAY better recruiting.

CONTENT
Went by my buddy's shop. He's a rabid FSU fan and does work for a major donor. After fsu had worst season since 76, the AD was told to open the check book. We will see if new oc and DC have immediate impact - could go to air raid but qb is questionable. They really have screwed up w thier previous coach change.

As to the recruiting record I put a hand scratched table below. Shows that Ala is in the supercharge mode - giant class of super recriuts every year due to nfl attrition and u know what. Since Ala is so good - play for NC so frequently they bias the info ( only one spot available for rest).
Sorry I may trigger folks w the S team that brings in smaller classes.

I am thinking we need as a minimum a 45 in 19 recruit cycle . Good would be mid 30s . IF cgc and staff cant game say coach , wont matter.
Since we won't know till mid oct and so far things look good in initial efforts, I will be positive till I see incompitance. Getting slaghtered by Clemson and uga w receive a one year pass and then I will gripe.

20190116_122729.jpg

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
CONTENT
Went by my buddy's shop. He's a rabid FSU fan and does work for a major donor. After fsu had worst season since 76, the AD was told to open the check book. We will see if new oc and DC have immediate impact - could go to air raid but qb is questionable. They really have screwed up w thier previous coach change.

Oh, the irony, huh?

"All Jimbo ever does is say he needs us to spend like the SEC! I'd fire him if his buyout wasn't so much."

Free Willie comes in and turns FSU into a dumpster fire.

"Well, shoot, we need to spend more money if we want to beat Syracuse and NC State!"