The University of Georgia Tech

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Agree ! Excited to see how our n

Agree ! Excited to see what the new guys ( Woody, Wood, Riase ) can bring to our D recruiting with their more aggressive scheme mindset.
I am really anticipating the spring and mostly August, to see what defense the guy installs. It is unfair to previous DCs to be so dismissive, and I know it, but it just seems to me we have been employing a prevent defense for 10 years. As long as it is aggressive and enthusiastic, I don't care what he runs.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Why would you want to be The Institute? It sounds like a mental institution. Some may argue that's kind of true, but I don't think it's a good marketing strategy.

Find a definition of Institute with a capital I in any reputable dictionary.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You won't find the word "university" with a capital "U" in there either, but the universities of this world DO use the capital letter in their names. Is it the university (sic) of Georgia, or the University (sic) of Georgia? Similarly we are not the Georgia institute of Technology; we are the Georgia Institute of Technology. Referring to Tech as the "Institute", I think, is appropriate and pretty funny.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You won't find the word "university" with a capital "U" in there either, but the universities of this world DO use the capital letter in their names. Is it the university (sic) of Georgia, or the University (sic) of Georgia? Similarly we are not the Georgia institute of Technology; we are the Georgia Institute of Technology. Referring to Tech as the "Institute", I think, is appropriate and pretty funny.

I have no problem with people using that as a name. What I don't understand is the belief that GT is not a university. I haven't seen any current definitions from reliable sources that GT does not meet. Even the almost 200 year old definition from Webster's which would not include GT would not include the majority of universities in the US(Webster's 1828). I do believe that GT is different from any other school with FBS football. I haven't seen any evidence that the word "university" is a definition of that difference.

EDIT: BTW, the reference to capital vs lower case was responding to bwelbo's post.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Not a fan of calling GT “The Institute” or “The I”. Smacks bad of Miami envy and copy cat. “Georgia Tech” works fine for me.
Agreed.

Copying Miami even more on the issue could lead to all our fans giving TV cameras our own gang sign:
4e2ee878e9e9db7db42c810b75c2f7ac--fred-rogers-the-neighborhood.jpg

I have no problem with people using that as a name. What I don't understand is the belief that GT is not a university. I haven't seen any current definitions from reliable sources that GT does not meet. Even the almost 200 year old definition from Webster's which would not include GT would not include the majority of universities in the US(Webster's 1828). I do believe that GT is different from any other school with FBS football. I haven't seen any evidence that the word "university" is a definition of that difference.

EDIT: BTW, the reference to capital vs lower case was responding to bwelbo's post.
Yes, Tech IS a university, when using the dictionary definition of the word. But the colloquial term "university" (capitalized or not capitalized), at least in the US, refers to schools with a broad range of schools of study, mostly in the area referred to as liberal arts. So yes, it is correct to refer to Georgia Tech as a "university," but it is definitely not correct to call it Georgia Tech University.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So yes, it is correct to refer to Georgia Tech as a "university," but it is definitely not correct to call it Georgia Tech University.

That I agree with.

As a matter of fact GT is one of only five FBS schools that do not have the word university in their name. I bet no one has ever heard that before.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I assume that VPI (er, VT) is one of them. Are the other three the three service academies?

No, VT is Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. The three service academies are. BC is the other. It is the AFLAC question every single time BC and GT play each other. It is the AFLAC question quite often during GT games that don't involve BC.

No, VT is Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. The three service academies are. BC is the other. It is the AFLAC question every single time BC and GT play each other. It is the AFLAC question quite often during GT games that don't involve BC.
Hmm. I wasn't aware of the expanded name for VPI. I don't think it has always been that way. And since they refer to it now as Virginia Tech, did they change the official name?

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
VT has all their bases covered...like Brunswick stew...what's in it?...a little of everything!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We are a university.

An SA putting "University" in our name when reasonably trying to be more formal than "Georgia Tech" is GTAA's fault.

Our offer should communicate that they are not receiving an offer from GT U or U of GT. When they receive an offer from GT, they are receiving an offer from the Georgia Institute of Technology.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Reading some of these horror stories from various classes and disciplines makes it sound like an institute to me.
Having been on both the receiving end and the giving end of the Insitute experience, I can assure everyone that faculty have their fair share of horror stories—and that includes interactions at both the student end and the administration end. When students gripe about their prof, they really don’t understand what it’s like to have your soul whittled away from both ends.

Fortunately, Tech has a lot of great students that make up for all the otber BS that faculty have to contend with.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Having been on both the receiving end and the giving end of the Insitute experience, I can assure everyone that faculty have their fair share of horror stories—and that includes interactions at both the student end and the administration end. When students gripe about their prof, they really don’t understand what it’s like to have your soul whittled away from both ends.

Fortunately, Tech has a lot of great students that make up for all the otber BS that faculty have to contend with.

As a student, Tech made me feel like I was going to crack at times. In retrospect, I think the experience forged an attitude in me that I can figure it out and I can get it done. Thanks to the Tech profs who made my life a living Hell; it was well worth it.

Maybe BDS should be called “The Hive at Bobby Dodd”. I think this name fits the academic experience as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk