The University of Georgia Tech

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
giphy.gif

are you saying i resemble that remark? heh

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, I should probably let this issue go after this post but I think names are very important, especially when you consider the cash value of these scholarship offers. Anyway, I told a guy once that I went to Georgia Tech. He replied by telling me that he had just driven through GT’s northern campus in Blairsville. It took me a minute but I realized that he was talking about North Georgia Technical College (North Georgia Tech).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously. Our Northern campus is in Cambridge, Mass.

Animal02

Banned
If it is on the internet, it must be true. :banghead:
Years ago, I exchanged several email with the Alumni Organization concerning their listing of the Wreck as a Model T. The idiot that replied thanked me for my concern and assured me that it was correct because he had checked with the Rambling Wreck Club which verified it was a Model T. :rolleyes:

I ended up sending him links to several sources, including some from GT, describing Dean Dull’s purchase of the vehicle. Only then did he agree to change it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Years ago, I exchanged several email with the Alumni Organization concerning their listing of the Wreck as a Model T. The idiot that replied thanked me for my concern and assured me that it was correct because he had checked with the Rambling Wreck Club which verified it was a Model T. :rolleyes:

I ended up sending him links to several sources, including some from GT, describing Dean Dull’s purchase of the vehicle. Only then did he agree to change it.
A friend of mine is the treasurer for his church. A couple came in, said it was giving several thousand dollars a year to educate doctors for South America, but wanted to give it to the church, claim a tax deduction, and the church would write a check to this agency in their honor, and if they wouldn't do it they would cut their church donation appreciably. Guy said no, can't do it, minister said why not, accountant said you can go to jail if you do, whereupon couple said ... we researched it on the internet and it is completely legal. And went looking for a more receptive church.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Some of these kids are just collecting offers to pump up their stock. They like to tweet out an offer to get more exposure for themselves. You would like to think if they were SERIOUSLY considering going to a school that they, or for sure their parent(s)/guardian might make sure they got the name right. Does anyone recall an SA who made this mistake and then came to Tech ?
The coaches evaluating those recruits are as a rule very good at what they do, and they do it all year round. It is not uncommon now to see a kid list a dozen or more "offers" and a careful reading of them shows every major conference represented to the same degree: two from ACC, two from SEC, etc. Some of it may be an honest mistake, conflating an "offer" with a letter of interest. Most of it is an out of control ego that the recruiters see through immediately.

Deleted member 2897

A friend of mine is the treasurer for his church. A couple came in, said it was giving several thousand dollars a year to educate doctors for South America, but wanted to give it to the church, claim a tax deduction, and the church would write a check to this agency in their honor, and if they wouldn't do it they would cut their church donation appreciably. Guy said no, can't do it, minister said why not, accountant said you can go to jail if you do, whereupon couple said ... we researched it on the internet and it is completely legal. And went looking for a more receptive church.

People that give to charities only for the tax deduction is a red flag anyway.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Okay, so let's use reputable sources of information. Webster's and Oxford are two of the oldest English language dictionaries:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/university?src=search-dict-hed
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/university

What part of those definitions of the word "university" does GT not meet? In fact, the Webster's definistion(Which matches word for word my printed copy of the definition from my college days) says that a university is an "institustion" of higher learning that has some other attributes.(research, teaching, and authorization to grant degrees). So according to Webster's English Dictionary, every single university is an institution.

Deleted member 2897

Okay, so let's use reputable sources of information. Webster's and Oxford are two of the oldest English language dictionaries:

What part of those definitions of the word "university" does GT not meet? In fact, the Webster's definistion(Which matches word for word my printed copy of the definition from my college days) says that a university is an "institustion" of higher learning that has some other attributes.(research, teaching, and authorization to grant degrees). So according to Webster's English Dictionary, every single university is an institution.

But with a lower case I. That’s akin to saying the category “Thing” on Wheel of Fortune means everything in the entire world. It’s not “thing”, it’s “Thing”. Just like it’s “Institute” not “institute”.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
But with a lower case I. That’s akin to saying the category “Thing” on Wheel of Fortune means everything in the entire world. It’s not “thing”, it’s “Thing”. Just like it’s “Institute” not “institute”.
Find a definition of Institute with a capital I in any reputable dictionary.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

The word institute has a protected status in the UK and can only be used with certain educational institutions who lead in top-level research. Unfortunately the word has been perverted here in the US because of these crappy for-profit, fly-by-night outfits who are trying to make themselves sound legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
The coaches evaluating those recruits are as a rule very good at what they do, and they do it all year round. It is not uncommon now to see a kid list a dozen or more "offers" and a careful reading of them shows every major conference represented to the same degree: two from ACC, two from SEC, etc. Some of it may be an honest mistake, conflating an "offer" with a letter of interest. Most of it is an out of control ego that the recruiters see through immediately.
Agree ! Excited to see how our n
Agree ! Excited to see what the new guys ( Woody, Wood, Riase ) can bring to our D recruiting with their more aggressive scheme mindset.