The University of Georgia Tech

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Some of my coworkers from overseas have referred to us as GIT when I mentioned my school. If we really wanted to brand I'd go that route over The Institute (as other mentioned that sounds like a mental hospital).

Otherwise Georgia Tech is fine. Not sure what all the fuss is here.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
As a student, Tech made me feel like I was going to crack at times. In retrospect, I think the experience forged an attitude in me that I can figure it out and I can get it done. Thanks to the Tech profs who made my life a living Hell; it was well worth it.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I work in a department that catches a lot of flak from students about being “ruthless”, but the truth is we have a great bunch of young faculty who really want to see Tech students thrive, and understand that it all starts with challenging students...and giving them the tools to meet that challenge.

But enough off-topic kumbayas...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The problem is the world understanding that C is average, and that at Tech, "average" is not the ordinary "average." There are tons of kids that went from straight A's to struggling for a C. It didn't help one's gpa that a 79 average in the class was weighted as a 2.0.

I think that has changed tremendously since I was there (late 80's through late 90's), but to graduate with a 2.5 gpa was something to be proud of. Hell, i still consider actually surviving and getting out as one of my biggest accomplishments.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The problem is the world understanding that C is average, and that at Tech, "average" is not the ordinary "average." There are tons of kids that went from straight A's to struggling for a C. It didn't help one's gpa that a 79 average in the class was weighted as a 2.0.

I think that has changed tremendously since I was there (late 80's through late 90's), but to graduate with a 2.5 gpa was something to be proud of. Hell, i still consider actually surviving and getting out as one of my biggest accomplishments.
You were in school for a decade? I was on the 4 yr + 1 qtr plan (extra football season) in the late 80's and starting feeling really old at parties my senior year.

Animal02

Banned
The word institute has a protected status in the UK and can only be used with certain educational institutions who lead in top-level research. Unfortunately the word has been perverted here in the US because of these crappy for-profit, fly-by-night outfits who are trying to make themselves sound legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Architect is protected here in the US, and was perverted by the software industry trying to make themselves sound important. :mad:

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck

Getting out of GT is still a huge deal. 2.0 , 2.5 or a 4.0. Getting out is not easy. I don't know personally, I graduated from UGA but I do have one son who got out of GT and another who is getting out in Dec. Its still special.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Getting out of GT is still a huge deal. 2.0 , 2.5 or a 4.0. Getting out is not easy. I don't know personally, I graduated from UGA but I do have one son who got out of GT and another who is getting out in Dec. Its still special.
I agree. I wasn't lowering the degree of difficulty getting out now. It's my understanding that the average gpa has improved over the past 10 years or so, which goes along with the improvement in retention. I think the students are better prepared coming in and the administration has put an emphasis on retention rather than "weeding out."

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Well, I should probably let this issue go after this post but I think names are very important, especially when you consider the cash value of these scholarship offers. Anyway, I told a guy once that I went to Georgia Tech. He replied by telling me that he had just driven through GT’s northern campus in Blairsville. It took me a minute but I realized that he was talking about North Georgia Technical College (North Georgia Tech).

How many of these NGT's are there? There's one in Clarksville also.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I wasn't lowering the degree of difficulty getting out now. It's my understanding that the average gpa has improved over the past 10 years or so, which goes along with the improvement in retention. I think the students are better prepared coming in and the administration has put an emphasis on retention rather than "weeding out."
So you're saying the profs actually teach now?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Some of you may appreciate the following article. Tech is mentioned quite a few times in it ---

Some Elite Colleges Review an Application in 8 Minutes

https://www.wsj.com/article_email/s...or-less-1517400001-lMyQjAxMTA4MDA2MTQwOTE5Wj/

I am totally surprised that they allow eight minutes, honestly. Eight minutes for each application adds up to a lot of man hours. I think they will probably adopt a computer algorithm in the future that will weed out the lowest quartile or quintile (high school GPA, ACT/SAT, number of extracurricular activities, etc.) of applicants based on the previous year’s starting freshmen. These applications would only be reviewed by a computer. Not unusual really; I’m sure bank loan officers rely heavily on scoring algorithms when approving loans.

I am totally surprised that they allow eight minutes, honestly. Eight minutes for each application adds up to a lot of man hours. I think they will probably adopt a computer algorithm in the future that will weed out the lowest quartile or quintile (high school GPA, ACT/SAT, number of extracurricular activities, etc.) of applicants based on the previous year’s starting freshmen. These applications would only be reviewed by a computer. Not unusual really; I’m sure bank loan officers rely heavily on scoring algorithms when approving loans.

All I can say is that after reading that, I doubt very seriously if I could get admitted to Tech today. It was relatively easy in 1962