The Search

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
This smells a LOT like Thad Motta.
Funny you say that. I was with an AAU coach in Flint today and while we were getting a run in he mentioned to me about Thad Motta rumors popping up with some coaches up here that he might be leaving OSU and heading south. He knows I'm a big GT guy. He didn't say us specifically but did mention he knows we are looking for a coach "hint hint" so to speak. I didn't pay it much attention until I started reading some of the posts, tweets and Kens article. I'm not saying it's him but there's smoke he's leaving OSU.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Facts are our AD fired our coach. He announced he's been working a potential replacement since January (assuming this was in case CBG underperformed)- smart move. Team goes to the NIT and get bounced by UCSD, CBG is fired. Player graduating so it must have been due to poor on the court performance, correct? I mean, AD has said CBG is high character. Underlying theme is poor on court performance. Insinuation is poor recruiting combined with poor coaching, right? Some say 2017 has a bumper crop of high caliber recruits in the Atlanta area and we needed a good coach to recruit them then coach them up so we succeed. We also need to retain what we have. I cannot see the logic from what is transpiring that it positions us to retain our current recruits or entice recruits for next year to commit. Maybe I'm wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong here. The AD is responsible for managing our brand. Good brands always project a positive image and make people want the product. Is this what we're doing here? Maybe the awesome candidate is nearly inked. Why can't the AD in the face of this type of publicity (articles by BS'ing experts claim we were outbid for a candidate below the caliber said AD said we were recruiting for the job) make one public announcement that GT is evaluating several top candidates & all this internet stuff is bull? He can say we just have not made our choice yet and are in no rush. An important decision requires due diligence.

I believe the reason he has not done that is it's probably not truthful. I think we completely whiffed. We got jilted at the altar. Maybe I'm all wrong. What I do know is that we're looking rather poorly right now. We look like a program nobody wants. Maybe it's not justified, but what page does the retraction that you just beat your wife up appear on? It's buried on the back pages. XXX beat his wife starts on the front page and your reputation is damaged for a long time.

It will be much harder to repair the damage unless we make a really big splash now. I hope that's the case, but we're managing this poorly at best. Sorry if the truth hurts but our AD has damaged our program by the way he has handled this.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Thing is though, Gregory is at least partly, if not largely, to blame for not reaching the postseason or winning 20 games in over 5 years. We can talk about Hewitt putting us in a bad situation, but Gregory was hired to get the program going in a positive direction (not just make the NIT once in a year where all the best players are seniors) and he couldn't get it done. It would take tremendous tunnel vision for a coach to not want the job because a guy won 20 games and was fired without even factoring in that this happened in year 5 with a veteran roster. Our four year absence from any postseason play was the longest since the 70s, I believe.

Certainly it's not a black and white issue with CBG. There's a lot of stuff that we know that went into him being let go even after a 20+ win season. However, if you give a coach an option between two jobs, both being equal in pay and other factors, but one school just let a coach go after a the season CBG just had, it's hard not to think twice about it. I'm definitely not saying it's a major factor...but it would certainly give me pause if I had my choice in two equal jobs. I think people are looking at it with gold tinted glasses if you don't think it's something OTHER schools competing for the same coach don't bring up. I'm not sure about most people, but when I was just beginning my career, one of the things I wanted to know was what kind of support I would have to further my young career.

Just because we as GT fans view it as fair that CBG was let go after his best season, doesn't mean others may view it the same as us. Everyone views things with different lenses. If you don't think so, all you need to do is go through the last 70+ pages of this thread.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I greatly appreciate guys like @DaBiz , @GlennW , and @BigDaddyBuzz giving us insight into the search, and other topics. They're giving us free information we'd otherwise not have. Regardless of whether they were right or wrong in some instances is missing the point. They have no ulterior motive other than sharing their knowledge with fellow GT fans.

I had an offline discussion with a font I respect about this. The only people I have umbridge with are the ones who beat fans up for not paying $$$ to join a service to be "insiders" then act like their information they feed is information you won't get anywhere else. As the last two years have proven with regard to our basketball program, people who sell "inside" info are at the same mercy as everyone else.

If anyone has problem with free information regardless of whether it turns out to be wrong is an idiot. Sorry...but this is a free board. No one owes anyone anything.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ken makes a good point in his recent article: Gregory just won 20+ games, took us to the postseason (albeit not the big dance), and graduated kids...yet he was still shown the door. The first two we haven't done in over 5 years. I know we have a different view being GT fans that Gregory probably had to go, but to coaches on the outside looking in, that's a tough pill to swallow knowing you could win 20+ games, go to the postseason, and do everything right off the court and still get the boot.

Vanderbilt could make the case that Stallings left of his own volition for greener pastures and point to GT and say "Our guy was with us for 17 years, and we were happy to have him back. He left, and now we want you for the next 17+ years." Remember, not everyone is as intimate with our situation as we are with the details that got CBG the pink slip...from the outside looking in, you can make the case that our AA makes the job tough on the Coach. Not something that helps us when looking for a new coach regardless of the potential of this job.

There is not a coach out there that doesn't know Stallings was being shown the door. Yes he left on his own but it wasn't all hugs and kisses with him. If your view is that we didn't get Drew because he thought we were impatient with a guy who didn't get to the NCAA tourney in 5 years in the ACC then we will simply disagree on that one.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There is not a coach out there that doesn't know Stallings was being shown the door. Yes he left on his own but it wasn't all hugs and kisses with him. If your view is that we didn't get Drew because he thought we were impatient with a guy who didn't get to the NCAA tourney in 5 years in the ACC then we will simply disagree on that one.

Re-read what I wrote. I didn't say we lost Drew because of that. I was simply saying that what happened with CBG could be viewed negatively or used as ammunition against us. The Vandy situation with Stallings was just an example of a pitch that COULD have been used against us.

gtfan088

Georgia Tech Fan
Back on topic -- anyone have insight who the "big fish" is that interviewed today?

/
Certainly it's not a black and white issue with CBG. There's a lot of stuff that we know that went into him being let go even after a 20+ win season. However, if you give a coach an option between two jobs, both being equal in pay and other factors, but one school just let a coach go after a the season CBG just had, it's hard not to think twice about it. I'm definitely not saying it's a major factor...but it would certainly give me pause if I had my choice in two equal jobs. I think people are looking at it with gold tinted glasses if you don't think it's something OTHER schools competing for the same coach don't bring up. I'm not sure about most people, but when I was just beginning my career, one of the things I wanted to know was what kind of support I would have to further my young career.

Just because we as GT fans view it as fair that CBG was let go after his best season, doesn't mean others may view it the same as us. Everyone views things with different lenses. If you don't think so, all you need to do is go through the last 70+ pages of this thread.

I still think it would take a lot of tunnel vision to not see the larger picture. We're not UGA firing a coach who wins 9-10 games a year in football. We fired a coach who at his best could not lead us to the NCAA tournament in five years, which is a time frame longer than he would received at just about any other ACC school.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
MBob pressing reset means he needs to remember his original criteria. Head coach experience, Great recruiter, solid X's and O's and taken team deep into tourney. This is his play for P5 coach and he knows heat is on

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Wait, wait, wait, ... I got this ...

NO!

Does anyone know what's useful anymore? Opinions apparently aren't useful. And apparently because some of the boards insiders won't reveal their sources or identity they aren't useful either.

So confused

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Hey it's ok! We get another shot at one of our 2011 targets who was run out of one job and is currently under a spotlight for some sexual harassment stuff at his current stop. Thank goodness for second chances.

From the other names I've heard i'd take CM in a heartbeat. As big a fan of Capel I am bc of recruiting CM would be even better. Recruiting is the key to get us back quick.