The Search

Just because it wasn't released through the SID or a pass conference doesn't make it confidential. Your arguments are starting to sound a little silly. (I'm not attacking you) There are people with connections that have good information, and those who guess. And sometimes the news just changes.
The fact that the "news" has changed so many times over the past couple of days pretty much confirms the unreliability of these sources. And since there have been no OFFICIAL press releases or comments of any kind, then I would say that pretty much marks it as confidential information.

Supersize, it happens all the time in all kinds of businesses. Just because it's our beloved Georgia Tech doesn't mean it does not happen. I know I've been told many things over the years that were considered "confidential" and if the powers that be knew these facts were disclosed they would not have been happy. GTAA is no exception. I don't expect that they have ethically superior people working there as compared to any other place.
Unfortunately, you are probably correct, but that does not make it right, nor does it make it really reliable.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I don't have any inside info but from an outsider's point of view, we should have announced a coach today. The transfer window is open and our team is decimated... we will need several transfers to be semi-competitive next year and without a coach we can't begin that process.

What that tells me is that the AD has missed on his targets, pure and simply. M Bob who in my opinion has lost the average GT fan knows the basketball time frame. He was the chair of the NCAA tournament and has a steller resume when it comes to hiring coaches. He isn't stupid, but needs to make a homerun hire or his days at Tech will be short indeed. I'm going he pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

We need it.

I don't have any inside info but from an outsider's point of view, we should have announced a coach today. The transfer window is open and our team is decimated... we will need several transfers to be semi-competitive next year and without a coach we can't begin that process.

What that tells me is that the AD has missed on his targets, pure and simply. M Bob who in my opinion has lost the average GT fan knows the basketball time frame. He was the chair of the NCAA tournament and has a steller resume when it comes to hiring coaches. He isn't stupid, but needs to make a homerun hire or his days at Tech will be short indeed. I'm going he pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

We need it.
You nor I nor anyone else on these boards has the right, or for that matter the knowledge, to make such demands.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
No, but it's not like we've been turning away top 10 talent.

No former UK coaches have recruited nearly at the level they did in Lexington so it's far from automatic that talent would follow the assts at their new jobs.

I'd say Pitino has done OK. Tubby did not recruit well at UK, which is why he became known as Ten Loss Tubby, and was encouraged to leave.

Any top 150 player, which is where we need to be recruiting to be competitive in the ACC, has played a LOT of basketball with other top players before they step on campus. Physically they develop in college, and college coaches teach scheme, but top basketball players are more prepared to be ready for the college game when they step foot on campus than are top football players. Recruiting is job one in every sport, but so much more so in basketball.

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems we missed on top choice. That sucks, but no need to panic. Would rather miss on recruits/transfers this year and get the right coach. We expected next year to be tough anyways, but we need a quality coach and recruiter. That is worth waiting a bit for. No love here for mbob, but he is a basketball guy and maybe he will get us the perfect coach.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'd say Pitino has done OK. Tubby did not recruit well at UK, which is why he became known as Ten Loss Tubby, and was encouraged to leave.

Any top 150 player, which is where we need to be recruiting to be competitive in the ACC, has played a LOT of basketball with other top players before they step on campus. Physically they develop in college, and college coaches teach scheme, but top basketball players are more prepared to be ready for the college game when they step foot on campus than are top football players. Recruiting is job one in every sport, but so much more so in basketball.

Was referring to Cal's assistants who've flown from the nest. Folks were suggesting we hire one of Cal's current assistants, Payne.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Someone mentioned Hoiberg as a candidate. Does that have any traction? Need the Bulls to not make the playoffs, though.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I am in favor of waiting to criticize MBob until he *actually* hires a coach. Engineers know you can't analyze experimental results before the experiment finishes. The guy has a track records of good BBall hires. Just let him do his thing.

I am in favor of waiting to criticize MBob until he *actually* hires a coach. Engineers know you can't analyze experimental results before the experiment finishes. The guy has a track records of good BBall hires. Just let him do his thing.
If MBob ends up hiring a total dud, then I will be as quick to criticize him as anyone, but until we actually have FACTS to go by, I just don't understand the criticism. It's not that I am standing up for MBob, I am standing up against idle gossip and hate.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He said, "I don't have any inside info but from an outsider's point of view, we should have announced a coach today." That is a demand, albeit an implicit one. Who does deserve to make demands, you ask. The fan base as a whole, but not in part....imo.

Actually, it could also be construed as when an announcement was expected, given a timeline laid out by MBob, or as the right timing needed, given prime recruiting season is here. That's how I interpreted it.

Your theory on fan base as a whole, not in part doesn't really make sense to me, so I'm not gonna bother pursuing it further.

Actually, it could also be construed as when an announcement was expected, given a timeline laid out by MBob, or as the right timing needed, given prime recruiting season is here. That's how I interpreted it.

Your theory on fan base as a whole, not in part doesn't really make sense to me, so I'm not gonna bother pursuing it further.
What I was saying is that one or two, or even several hundred fans do not have the "right" to make demands. But if the majority of the fan base were to rise up en masse and make such demands, then, since they (we) are paying the salaries, we should be listened to. For instance, although he might have fired him anyway, I think a substantial core of the fan-base more-or-less demanded that Gregory be fired, and he was. One or two, or even a few hundred malcontents, would not have meant much.