The Search

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I will stop derailing the thread after this post, but it is clear you have made up your mind in the face of the evidence. All it takes is to look at guys like Ben Simmons this year to see that talent along does not guarantee development in college. You need good coaching as well. From USA today regarding Towns:
"Yet when you look at the player who is projected by many to be the best prospect in the 2015 NBA draft, you see what is almost a completely different player than the one that arrived in Lexington only eight months ago. ... All of a sudden he became unstoppable late in the year. The improvement was drastic"
LINK

To bring it back to the thread, all I am saying is that Payne could be a worse choice.

I agree, if we went the assistant route, he would be one of the top names on the list. No question. I just dont know if he rubs his hands together and POOF youre a better player. Does he have an impact? Obviously. But these kids have strength coaches, other coaches, tons of practice time/game time against D1 level kids as opposed to AAU ball and Prep opponents. They will adjust.

Please dont throw Ben Simmons at me. He played for one of the worst coaches in a P5 conference who runs zero system.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Summary:
Here is what I know to be true or pretty damn close. Our initial list was Mack (knew it would be tough), Capel (MBob apparently f'd this up), and Drew (he f'd us). We tried to throw a bunch of $ at Mack and that is who I thought we could get on my initial post about $ not being an object. He declined. We have had back channel talks with Capel and his people since the Duke game in ATL. IMHO he should have been our guy once Mack said no thanks. Here is where the info gets dicey. One source said Capel was 1A to Mack and we could have got him. Another says he was using us for leverage and thus MBob became enamored with Drew, pissing off Capel. We had a verbal agreement with Drew and then Vandy came calling and he stabbed us and MBob in the back.
Where we go now is interesting. If it were me, I'd be begging Capel to come here and offer what we offered Drew (over $2 mil). MBob is probably too stubborn. I have heard that we are trying for a P5 head coach but it is unlikely. Many are assuming it will be Kelsey but apparently many big$ people are pissed and said no way. MBob had to press the reset button yesterday and now who knows. MBob and AA have gone even more silent than before. We need a coach in place by the end of the week or we will be way behind in recruiting.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Summary:
Here is what I know to be true or pretty damn close. Our initial list was Mack (knew it would be tough), Capel (MBob apparently f'd this up), and Drew (he f'd us). We tried to throw a bunch of $ at Mack and that is who I thought we could get on my initial post about $ not being an object. He declined. We have had back channel talks with Capel and his people since the Duke game in ATL. IMHO he should have been our guy once Mack said no thanks. Here is where the info gets dicey. One source said Capel was 1A to Mack and we could have got him. Another says he was using us for leverage and thus MBob became enamored with Drew, pissing off Capel. We had a verbal agreement with Drew and then Vandy came calling and he stabbed us and MBob in the back.
Where we go now is interesting. If it were me, I'd be begging Capel to come here and offer what we offered Drew (over $2 mil). MBob is probably too stubborn. I have heard that we are trying for a P5 head coach but it is unlikely. Many are assuming it will be Kelsey but apparently many big$ people are pissed and said no way. MBob had to press the reset button yesterday and now who knows. MBob and AA have gone even more silent than before. We need a coach in place by the end of the week or we will be way behind in recruiting.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Lol. So basically unless MBob pulls a huge rabbit out of his hat he is ****ed 6 ways to Sunday as far as his own job security is concerned. God only knows who we end up with here if the money people are this pissed off and wont let him hire a no name like Kelsey or similar. Probably all we can get at this point. Most of those donors already hated MBob before this process even started. You could make a 30 for 30 out of this mess. Another question to ask here is if a candidate is privy to how upset the donors are with the AD (and it's obvious to everyone that this has become a cluster) then it would seem risky to accept a job under that AD when he very well may not be your boss sooner rather than later. New AD's come in and often times want to hire "their guy" unless a proven winner is already in place. Just a thought if you look at this from a potential coaches perspective.

Summary:
So please tell us HOW you know that to be true or "pretty damn close." Since nothing official has been said by anyone, then all you are going by is heresay and guesses by sportswriters. Or do you actually have some kind of inside source somewhere who THINKS he knows something?

I just can't get over how some of the posters on here actually think they know something, when I would be willing to be they know absolutely nothing at all. Which donors are pissed off at MBob? I haven't heard anyone say that he or she is. Where do you come up with crap like that?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ken makes a good point in his recent article: Gregory just won 20+ games, took us to the postseason (albeit not the big dance), and graduated kids...yet he was still shown the door. The first two we haven't done in over 5 years. I know we have a different view being GT fans that Gregory probably had to go, but to coaches on the outside looking in, that's a tough pill to swallow knowing you could win 20+ games, go to the postseason, and do everything right off the court and still get the boot.

Vanderbilt could make the case that Stallings left of his own volition for greener pastures and point to GT and say "Our guy was with us for 17 years, and we were happy to have him back. He left, and now we want you for the next 17+ years." Remember, not everyone is as intimate with our situation as we are with the details that got CBG the pink slip...from the outside looking in, you can make the case that our AA makes the job tough on the Coach. Not something that helps us when looking for a new coach regardless of the potential of this job.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not "big money" but I am pissed at MBob. There is no way you can look at our current situation and say we are in a good position. It is obvious we got passed over by Drew for Vandy, that point is not up for debate. Two other guys have come out publicly and said they don't want our job (Price and Capel). We are 11 days from Gregory being fired and this really needed to be a smooth transition for MBob after, imho, some of his prior blunders. MBob called our recruits and said it would be 7-10 days and from most reports we are back to square 1.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I just can't get over how some of the posters on here actually think they know something, when I would be willing to be they know absolutely nothing at all. Which donors are pissed off at MBob? I haven't heard anyone say that he or she is. Where do you come up with crap like that?

I can't get over the fact that you don't understand that some people have connections within the GTAA. Almost certainly not MBob himself, but other people do work there, do know some information as facts (at least from GT's internal process and perspective), and do generally discuss those details with others. That is why certain posters can know certain facts about the process from the GT side, but not what is going on from the perspective of others (eg Capel, Drew, Vandy, etc).

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Hey MBob. Spend less time posting on GT message boards and more time on not ****ing up our basketball program. Are you related to this guy?

upload_2016-4-5_19-39-56.jpeg

I can't get over the fact that you don't understand that some people have connections within the GTAA. Almost certainly not MBob himself, but other people do work there, do know some information as facts (at least from GT's internal process and perspective), and do generally discuss those details with others. That is why certain posters can know certain facts about the process from the GT side, but not what is going on from the perspective of others (eg Capel, Drew, Vandy, etc).
Anyone within the GTAA releasing confidential information should be fired.

"I know a secretary in the GTAA, and she overheard another secretary say that someone else's boss said......." That's about the limit of reliability even from most people within the GTAA, because I would assume that the majority of people actually in the know have more integrity than to release real information. That has certainly been my experience with the one person I know within the GTAA. He nipped any talk about a specific incident in the bud, before I could pursue it at all. I would like to hope that he is not alone with that kind of integrity.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
en makes a good point in his recent article: Gregory just won 20+ games, took us to the postseason (albeit not the big dance), and graduated kids...yet he was still shown the door. The first two we haven't done in over 5 years. I know we have a different view being GT fans that Gregory probably had to go, but to coaches on the outside looking in, that's a tough pill to swallow knowing you could win 20+ games, go to the postseason, and do everything right off the court and still get the boot.

Except any coach worth anything knows that gregory wasn't fired because of this year alone, and that he was fired as much because the program is in no shape to build any momentum off of this "great"year as it was the 30 win% in conference that he posted.

gtfan088

Georgia Tech Fan
Ken makes a good point in his recent article: Gregory just won 20+ games, took us to the postseason (albeit not the big dance), and graduated kids...yet he was still shown the door. The first two we haven't done in over 5 years. I know we have a different view being GT fans that Gregory probably had to go, but to coaches on the outside looking in, that's a tough pill to swallow knowing you could win 20+ games, go to the postseason, and do everything right off the court and still get the boot.

Vanderbilt could make the case that Stallings left of his own volition for greener pastures and point to GT and say "Our guy was with us for 17 years, and we were happy to have him back. He left, and now we want you for the next 17+ years." Remember, not everyone is as intimate with our situation as we are with the details that got CBG the pink slip...from the outside looking in, you can make the case that our AA makes the job tough on the Coach. Not something that helps us when looking for a new coach regardless of the potential of this job.

Thing is though, Gregory is at least partly, if not largely, to blame for not reaching the postseason or winning 20 games in over 5 years. We can talk about Hewitt putting us in a bad situation, but Gregory was hired to get the program going in a positive direction (not just make the NIT once in a year where all the best players are seniors) and he couldn't get it done. It would take tremendous tunnel vision for a coach to not want the job because a guy won 20 games and was fired without even factoring in that this happened in year 5 with a veteran roster. Our four year absence from any postseason play was the longest since the 70s, I believe.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just because it wasn't released through the SID or a pass conference doesn't make it confidential. Your arguments are starting to sound a little silly. (I'm not attacking you) There are people with connections that have good information, and those who guess. And sometimes the news just changes.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know anything, except that GT does not have a basketball coach. Regardless of the coach, the program is slotted to take a step backwards in the talent department. A long term solution should be the priority. I am starting to care less and I am glad that I have spring football practice to distract and allow me to be optimistic in the way that a fan should be.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone within the GTAA releasing confidential information should be fired.
Supersize, it happens all the time in all kinds of businesses. Just because it's our beloved Georgia Tech doesn't mean it does not happen. I know I've been told many things over the years that were considered "confidential" and if the powers that be knew these facts were disclosed they would not have been happy. GTAA is no exception. I don't expect that they have ethically superior people working there as compared to any other place.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think you guys are putting too much into what happened to BG influencing potential coaches. If coaches see certain pros with a job (new complex, great geography, best conference in the country) they are either going to be intrigued or they will piss it down their legs because they don't have the sack for it (Bryce Drew)

I'd be willing to bet no one is saying "Geez Brian made the NIT at a 20% clip and they STILL fired him"