The Search

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
Stuff happens. Sometimes you can prevent it. Sometimes you have to manage through it. Lets see how he manages through it.

Facts are our AD fired our coach. He announced he's been working a potential replacement since January (assuming this was in case CBG underperformed)- smart move. Team goes to the NIT and get bounced by UCSD, CBG is fired. Player graduating so it must have been due to poor on the court performance, correct? I mean, AD has said CBG is high character. Underlying theme is poor on court performance. Insinuation is poor recruiting combined with poor coaching, right? Some say 2017 has a bumper crop of high caliber recruits in the Atlanta area and we needed a good coach to recruit them then coach them up so we succeed. We also need to retain what we have. I cannot see the logic from what is transpiring that it positions us to retain our current recruits or entice recruits for next year to commit. Maybe I'm wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong here. The AD is responsible for managing our brand. Good brands always project a positive image and make people want the product. Is this what we're doing here? Maybe the awesome candidate is nearly inked. Why can't the AD in the face of this type of publicity (articles by BS'ing experts claim we were outbid for a candidate below the caliber said AD said we were recruiting for the job) make one public announcement that GT is evaluating several top candidates & all this internet stuff is bull? He can say we just have not made our choice yet and are in no rush. An important decision requires due diligence.

I believe the reason he has not done that is it's probably not truthful. I think we completely whiffed. We got jilted at the altar. Maybe I'm all wrong. What I do know is that we're looking rather poorly right now. We look like a program nobody wants. Maybe it's not justified, but what page does the retraction that you just beat your wife up appear on? It's buried on the back pages. XXX beat his wife starts on the front page and your reputation is damaged for a long time.

It will be much harder to repair the damage unless we make a really big splash now. I hope that's the case, but we're managing this poorly at best. Sorry if the truth hurts but our AD has damaged our program by the way he has handled this.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If he is cleared of any wrong doing, sure. Why not.

Might as well have good recruits.

The actual accused party released info yesterday (I think) that allegedly showed that the accuser picked and chose which txts to show the authorities in order to paint the picture she wanted. If true, it appears he and, by extension, Martin could have legit been set up.

Considering they basically fired the guy sight unseen (if that fits), it could definitely have soured Martin on the whole Cal experience. That said, I don't think we should hire him as he's not exactly shown to be that great an in-game coach. Recruiting is certainly high-level tho.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The more I see from Mbob the less I like. Is it really too soon to fire HIS ***?

Pretty soon we may be begging Cremins to come back for a year or two just to keep us afloat. This fire / non hire situation shows puss poor management IMO.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
If mBob signed Drew to the deal he is getting at Vandy, I think folks (myself included) would be calling for his head. Time will tell but I think Vandy is overpaying big time. Let's see this play out, I am optimistic we will be in a better spot than Vandy.

Is it odd that Vandy still hasn't officially announced that hire (or even set a press conference)? I expected the announcement of a press conference yesterday, or this morning at the latest.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
When it comes to his morals, he talks the talk but does not walk the walk. I for one hope the GTAA has there lawyer look into some sort of breach.

How darest thou besmirch the great name of Saint Bryce? Can't bother with the legal stuff in this scenario IMHO. Smacks of sour grapes which is fine for some fan like me on a message board. Not so much for a major athletic dept. Should Capel pursue us for leading him down the road then balking?

(Assuming he legitimately wanted to leave, which I don't think was the case. JMHO, don't want to come across as a know-it-all :rolleyes:)

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
How darest thou besmirch the great name of Saint Bryce? Can't bother with the legal stuff in this scenario IMHO. Smacks of sour grapes which is fine for some fan like me on a message board. Not so much for a major athletic dept. Should Capel pursue us for leading him down the road then balking?

(Assuming he legitimately wanted to leave, which I don't think was the case. JMHO, don't want to come across as a know-it-all :rolleyes:)
I see your point; though if he was in town Sunday working with the AA to pursue assistants, there may be some bad blood on their part toward GT.

DaBiz

Georgia Tech Fan
I just can't get over how some of the posters on here actually think they know something, when I would be willing to be they know absolutely nothing at all. Which donors are pissed off at MBob? I haven't heard anyone say that he or she is. Where do you come up with crap like that?

Ok...Now that I've sat down and read a little today I've seen your stuff over and over; what would you like to know? The Drew story? He confirmed it today during his damn presser, he was point blank asked if he had an offer on the table from GT and said yes; this while MBob was telling 680 that no one had turned him down and was zeroing in on his #1 guy, yeah sure 12 days later.

Also, reported was Drew was putting a staff together and bringing Powell with him...guess who was at the presser today? Powell.

Everything reported was happening from my end, I can't say the same for all sites...Vandy just ended up the end destination once they missed on their targets.

I wanted Bryce when it was reasonable, not paying him more than PJ though.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Ok...Now that I've sat down and read a little today I've seen your stuff over and over; what would you like to know? The Drew story? He confirmed it today during his damn presser, he was point blank asked if he had an offer on the table from GT and said yes; this while MBob was telling 680 that no one had turned him down and was zeroing in on his #1 guy, yeah sure 12 days later.

Also, reported was Drew was putting a staff together and bringing Powell with him...guess who was at the presser today? Powell.

Everything reported was happening...Vandy just ended up the end destination once they missed on their targets.

I wanted Bryce when it was reasonable, not paying him more than PJ though.
what do you think of Cuonzo Martin