The Search Reloaded

alagold

Helluva Engineer
btw-- I read in Spt Illu about college "foreign" trips. Another negative is that Gregory used our once every 4 yrs trip last yr, I believe,

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
^ I'm gonna see who it ultimately turns out being before I turn ape**** like some. I will gladly turn ape**** if it ends up being someone that comes off quite underwhelming.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I will not donate another dime until MBob is gone and believe it or not I have supported him until this search debacle.

You are 2 1/2 years behind this formerly 30 year AT fund contributor. I stopped contributing solely because of Bobinski in 2013.

However, the ultimate problem is that the school president has a dictatorship when it comes to the GTAA. Alumni, not the President, should control the athletic board. GT alums are successful business people. Academics generally are not.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Please God no .... My ESPN feed just told me GT is targeting Memphis coach Pastnern Could be done Friday
I will be sick for a week and a half. Could throw up half my body weight

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Some people did not say if CBG was not fired they were finished with GTBB? Honest to Heaven? Unbelievable.

It is great to think a lot of ones school, but just how insane are a lot of folks here thinking we can hire a first rate coach for a third rate price (if that is happening)? And who really believes it is MBob setting that price?

I think we are all anxious, but a lot of the ramblings here remind me of the reaction of one fan when they found out who we would play in the Orange Bowl after the 2009 season. In a post this person proclaimed "IOWA!" And it was posted in a way that seemed to say we were so great that playing a team from the Big Ten was way below us that year. (Course they beat the crap out of us)

Just saying that a lot of of posts going on now seem to have this same tone about them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, it is after midnight. It is the "tomorrow" that was spoken of yesterday. The day that the announcement is made. Maybe I will go to bed and stay under the covers all day tomorrow. I mean today.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'm all for this if it's true. He will more than likely hire Sharman White and add some good X&O guys on the staff and the talent should start to flow in. We need someone to spark a buzz with AAU and HS coaches in the area and this would do it. A 4-5 year rebuild with some up and comer to me is out of the question. If we went that route this program could be dead. This to me atleast is a great get.

techgrad

Jolly Good Fellow
I know absolutely nothing about Pastner, but after all of the negative comments here, I thought I'd do some research on this guy. Here's a video interview with him and his wife: http://wreg.com/2013/07/14/meet-the-first-lady-of-memphis-basketball/

He sounds very energetic and passionate, a true workaholic. Here's an article on him earlier this year: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ll-josh-pastner-reached-out-jim-calhoun-early

He still sounds humble, even though he has a large buyout in his contract (unlike our ex-ex-coach). From this and the Goodwin article, it sounds like he is a little on the young side having difficulty coping with the pressure at Memphis.

I also watched the replay of the Memphis-Uconn AAC championship game to see how his team plays. It was brutal. I think Gregory is better at Xs and Os. But his team is a lot more talented than ours, though very undisciplined, with no semblance of an offense. If you thought our guys sometimes made boneheaded plays, it's nothing compared to what I saw in that game. It was one wild shot after another.

Overall, I think he would be no worse than Cuonzo Martin, since he can recruit a little too. Like I said in the other thread, Martin also is not a great Xs and Os guy. The advantage Pastner has is that he doesn't bring as much baggage as Martin (the job hopping history and Cal investigation).

While Pastner is not the perfect candidate, I think he will bring talent to our team that we have lacked in the past few years. Based on how his team plays, it's hard to see him do well matched up against some of the better coaches in the conference. But he should have much less pressure here, and who knows, that could have some positive effect on him.

Let's hope if he is hired, he can bring Charlie Moore with him. Add another scorer and suddenly, there might be some hope for us next season.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So I guess the cat is out of the bag. No pun intended :).If we do get the deal done with JP, I know many will hate it but hear me out. The quickest way back as a program is landing top players and recruiting. Without a doubt, JP is a top recruiter and if the rumored staff is true, we can lock down the ATL. He will learn from his mistakes at Memphis and build a better staff. Remember, he had to follow Calipari and I think he was only 31 at the time. Not an easy task.
Initially JP was not a target b/c of the huge buyout. Apparently Memphis is willing to negotiate it way down or waive it. He wants this job (not scared like Drew) and contacted us. If it happens, watch the press conference and you will see why he can recruit. Let's give him a chance. Trust me, he is way better than the other names being thrown out.