The Search Reloaded

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I like this hire as long as he continues to Recruit on the same level or higher, Make sure we pick up a good assistant coach for Xs and Os and this could turn out great for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why should we pick an assistant for X's and O's? So you're saying we are going in knowing the HC doesn't know squat?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Rumors - rumors that Pastner is the guy.

At Memphis he has a record of 167 - 73, .696%. Georgia Tech has never had a coach with that kind of record.

Brian Gregory...... 76 - 86 - .469
Paul Hewitt........ 190 - 162 - .540
Bobby Cremins... 354 - 237 - .599
Dwayne Morrison. 91 - 122 - .427
Whack Hyder...... 292 - 271 - .519

GT is one of the great educational institutions in the world. It is an average, at best, college basketball program.
Let's give it a shot! Literally there is nothing to lose. The "good guys" have said "thanks, but no thanks".

And I repeat, rumors, unnamed sources, sources close to the ______ (fill in blank).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

At Memphis he has a record of 167 - 73, .696%. Georgia Tech has never had a coach with that kind of record.

GT is one of the great educational institutions in the world. It is an average, at best, college basketball program.
Let's give it a shot! Literally there is nothing to lose. The "good guys" have said "thanks, but no thanks".

And I repeat, rumors, unnamed sources, sources close to the ______ (fill in blank).

We don't play in confUSA/American.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow

I agree. We need to welcome him and give him a chance. If our fanbase hates him from the start then he will be in the same situation he was in at Memphis, and that's just counter productive. If he ends up being successful, then it will be a big "HAHA" to all the Memphis fans that wanted him gone and were trashing us for taking him.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
We don't play in confUSA/American.
That works both ways. He won't be playing in the ACC with AAC level talent (at least after his first year). If he's a good recruiter and brings in a good staff, he should be able to get some high quality players to compete in our league. All I really want is for us to be competitive until we're out from under the Hewitt contract. As long as we don't screw up with a big buyout, we can get a better coach when we have a better financial situation and we're not rebuilding from the very bottom. I think he will at least get us back to respectable, we can worry about getting back to good once we're there.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That works both ways. He won't be playing in the ACC with AAC level talent (at least after his first year). If he's a good recruiter and brings in a good staff, he should be able to get some high quality players to compete in our league. All I really want is for us to be competitive until we're out from under the Hewitt contract. As long as we don't screw up with a big buyout, we can get a better coach when we have a better financial situation and we're not rebuilding from the very bottom. I think he will at least get us back to respectable, we can worry about getting back to good once we're there.

He's had better talent than we at Memphis. That's the point.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
Talent wise he did have better players at Memphis; but he also had shall we say, less of a student athlete. I suspect that part of the disconnect
between the coach and players was CJP's intellect versus theirs. By this I mean, CPJ simply laid out too much detail for them to absorb. This
is just one nerd's conjecture based on my experience.

gtfan088

Georgia Tech Fan

He signed 10 players in the ESPN top 50 while at Memphis. On paper, he had more talent than his opposition in probably 90% of conference games.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

that is a good point.

one could also consider his talented teams played against lesser opponents from what i read. lots of cream puffs. you dont "learn" your coaches trade playing lesser teams. coach k took his lumps early on for instance. the players will only get better playing against tougher competition.

he is what? 38 years young? maybe its the base of the coach that mbob was looking at. lute olsen is a great coach to have spent time with. calapari. and hes smart? good recruiter.

im excited...... but not THAT excited hehe.

but im on board. yay jackets.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Catching up...

Just being devil's advocate here... What'd Michigan State do this year in the bug dance?

Wha? Dude, thats sooo last week. I've moved past my initial meltdown.

To answer your question though, one coach has a history of tourney success and had a bad showing. The other had no track record to speak of (yet). Not the same IMHO.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Why should we pick an assistant for X's and O's? So you're saying we are going in knowing the HC doesn't know squat?

you do realize if he was the entire package you want at 38 years old... other programs with better reputations and more money than we have NOW would take him from us? he is 38 years old. coach k has 30 years of coaching experience on him. coach williams 28 years of experience on him. boeheim 30. etc

we have a coach that is very personable.... very smart... very energetic... an achiever... a good recruiter... etc... all things that can not be taught. what we have as i see it is a very young coach (youngest in the acc?) who has all the intangibles and has plenty of room to grow as far as...

-x's and o's. >>> bc / bench coach as mentors
-learning how to be a coach not a buddy. >>> bc / bench coach as mentors
-building team chemistry >>> bc / bench coach as mentors

i read an article that said saka smart was developed using mentors to groom him. looks like mbob went for a great base that could be built on. now to surround him with the right people.

just my opinion and i could be wrong.

btw i found this article while trying to see where cjp ranks age wise with the other acc coaches.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...basketball-coaches-under-40-years-old/page/11

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
you do realize if he was the entire package you want at 38 years old... other programs with better reputations and more money than we have NOW would take him from us? he is 38 years old. coach k has 30 years of coaching experience on him. coach williams 28 years of experience on him.

we have a coach that is very personable.... very smart... very energetic... a good recruiter... etc... all things that can not be taught. what we have as i see it is a very young coach (youngest in the acc?) who has all the intangibles and has plenty of room to grow as far as...

-x's and o's. >>> bc / bench coach as mentors
-learning how to be a coach not a buddy. >>> bc / bench coach as mentors
-building team chemistry >>> bc / bench coach as mentors

i read an article that said saka smart was developed using mentors to groom him. looks like mbob went for a great base that could be built on. now to surround him with the right people.

just my opinion and i could be wrong.

btw i found this article while trying to see where cjp ranks age wise with the other acc coaches.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...basketball-coaches-under-40-years-old/page/11

According to the AJC article, Pastnor will be the youngest coach in the ACC. The second youngest will be Buzz Williams at VT (44 yrs old). CJP is a high school freshmen compared to some of the coaches in the ACC.

Last edited: