The Search Reloaded

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thought it might be best to start a new thread to refocus on info, as some mentioned in the other thread.

We believe Pat Kelsey (Winthrop) & Matt McCall (UT-Chatt) are in the mix. Also, per Ken Sugiura, there's a rumored "big fish" out there.

Anyway, wanted to hopefully get people refocused on potential candidates as we keep going through the search.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Way to rub it in there whoever is running Coaching Changes. D&!k...
No. This was rubbing it in...

The reality is that Kelsey has a solid track record & has shown some ability to recruit at the ACC level, having contributed to that during the last great run of players at Wake. That said, we'd basically be signing up a slightly better recruiting version of BG, imo.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The standard set by AD was "very best." The timeline he set was 7-10 days from 12-13 days ago. He failed.

He's reportedly dangled major league money at a hot prospect which raises the bar for more experienced guys.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Hire Cuonzo Martin and call it a day. The man can recruit and had already pulled one of the top kids in the state in the last 10 years along with a top 5 class. Get another x and o guy on staff as well as a respected HS coach from the state and let's get this **** going. Spring recruiting starts in a few days and we have no staff as of now. Plus there is some talent on the grad transfer market we need to get on ASAP. To me Martin is the splash hire we wanted with names that have been put out there with any intrest. I'd rather have him than BD anyway.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Cuonzo Martin is not a splash hire. But we need a coach.

This situation has already become what one might expect if the US Congress had run the search. Might as well give an undeserving guy too much money with a huge buyout and keep the wheels of apathy spinning freely.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had not thought about Cuonzo Martin until this morning, so I looked up his contract situation at Cal. Guess what? No contract, just a letter of intent. He's getting about $1.35MM according to the Mercury News, but the signing of a new contract has been held up for some reason.

That said, I would not be thrilled with Martin. He would not wow me at all, based on what he did at UT. However, he ripped Jaylen Brown away from the ACC and can clearly recruit the Atlanta area. I would like to hear more.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The buzz I heard last night that Thad Matta might be in the mix is intriguing. Any more info on that? Even with three young guys leaving the team, OSU is too good of a place to walk away from. I heard there may be some friction internally. Plus he is making over $3MM.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
From my admittedly limited knowledge of Martin, he seems like a similar guy to Hewitt. Tennessee was frustrated with him, and more or less ran him off until he made that sweet 16 run a couple years ago. Sure, he can recruit locally (Ivan Rabb) and nationally (JB), but his X's and O's are a concern for me.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
I would feel great if we ended up with Martin. He is a great recruiter, and every where he has been the team showed improvement. I am also aware I should not get my hopes up, I feel like some how we will mess that up. I'm expecting an underwhelming hire. Tech will try and save money, and then we will give this thing another shot in 5 years.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I would feel great if we ended up with Martin. He is a great recruiter, and every where he has been the team showed improvement. I am also aware I should not get my hopes up, I feel like some how we will mess that up. I'm expecting an underwhelming hire. Tech will try and save money, and then we will give this thing another shot in 5 years.

There it is. The GTMBB fan base in a nutshell. High hopes cut down buy likelihood followed by a touch of apathy. It's quite the tasty morsel

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Only thing that worries me about Martin is the harassment case against his assistant. Has that been resolved/have they concluded he wasn't involved /didn't know anything about it?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On the bright side, UConn women's team just closed out their historical season with a championship. Which means there is ZERO college basketball going on right now. GT coaching search gets national spotlight now because college bball writers need something to keep themselves busy to earn those paychecks.

No way this could go wrong, right?!