The Search Reloaded

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

image.jpeg

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
We've been here like five times already. Let's wait for something official before we get all hot and bothered.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
"In just four seasons, Kelsey has resurrected the proud basketball tradition at Winthrop. After taking over a program that had won 12 and 13 games respectively the prior two seasons, Kelsey and the Eagles have won 62 games over the last three seasons. This past season the Eagles won 23 games, which ties for the 4th most in a single-season in the history of the program. Kelsey’s 76 wins rank second behind only current Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall for most victories (81) the first four seasons in the program’s Div. I history."

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying this couldn't happen. It certainly might, but we're talking about an anonymous twitter account that just takes what actual reporters say and either repeats it or speculates on it. I'm not buying that random twitter person has inside info when our actual insiders and beat reporters haven't been able to get much of any information. I've resigned myself to not knowing until GT announces a press conference.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
"In just four seasons, Kelsey has resurrected the proud basketball tradition at Winthrop. After taking over a program that had won 12 and 13 games respectively the prior two seasons, Kelsey and the Eagles have won 62 games over the last three seasons. This past season the Eagles won 23 games, which ties for the 4th most in a single-season in the history of the program. Kelsey’s 76 wins rank second behind only current Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall for most victories (81) the first four seasons in the program’s Div. I history."
Also noteworthy is Kelsey's astonishing undefeated record in the postseason. 0-0 still counts as undefeated, right?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Hopefully it won't take Tech 14 days to sh*tcan Bozo if we end up with Kelsey
He met with the athletic board this morning to update them on the search. Possibly, he told them he wants to go over budget for a top coach,who wants to come to GT, but the money is not sufficient given his current situation. Or, that we are back at the beginning with no obvious choice at this time. Could it be something else? Why would he meet with the full athletic board to say we're hiring a perfectly OK guy for an amount already budgeted?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
He might be a good coach, but we've been down a very similar road with the guy that we just fired. We need a guy that has proven that he can recruit well, and we need a guy that has a little more experience IMO.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Kelsey would not excite me, but he would be worth us supporting him, at least initially. He's won a bunch of games at Winthrop & he recruited some great players to both Wake & Xavier.

My issues with him are:
  • if he was the back-up, you could've sealed the deal and gotten him on the road already, getting in front of kids.
  • to let Miller, Miller, & Mack pressure you in to hiring their boy was some wishy washy **** for an AD that "knows" hoops.
  • His record is ok & improving, but what differentiates him from Keatts or McCall? No conf. tourney titles. No postseason experience.
  • If this is the guy, is he really an upgrade over Brian Gregory? Not really, imo.
Will I give him a chance? Yeah. Does that grace period run out by Fall Signing Day if the class isn't really really good? 100%. I'll know before we tip off our first game under him if I think he deserves more time.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
He met with the athletic board this morning to update them on the search. Possibly, he told them he wants to go over budget for a top coach,who wants to come to GT, but the money is not sufficient given his current situation. Or, that we are back at the beginning with no obvious choice at this time. Could it be something else? Why would he meet with the full athletic board to say we're hiring a perfectly OK guy for an amount already budgeted?

Any of those 3 are possible. It would be very normal to update an oversight Board and say we are doing OK - no changes needed at this time. Whether that is the case for this meeting I don't know and have a different view, but I wouldn't read anything into the fact they had a Board meeting. Normal that the Board would want to be consulted in this process.

Now my personal speculation is he said we are back to the beginning and here is my list based on what I know now that we got jilted by the lead candidate I told you about last time.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

KS' article said it was a quarterly meeting, which I took to mean something that was already on the calendar. But, of course the search is going to be a big topic and something he would have to give an update on.