The Search Reloaded

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
So I guess the cat is out of the bag. No pun intended :).If we do get the deal done with JP, I know many will hate it but hear me out. The quickest way back as a program is landing top players and recruiting. Without a doubt, JP is a top recruiter and if the rumored staff is true, we can lock down the ATL. He will learn from his mistakes at Memphis and build a better staff. Remember, he had to follow Calipari and I think he was only 31 at the time. Not an easy task.
Initially JP was not a target b/c of the huge buyout. Apparently Memphis is willing to negotiate it way down or waive it. He wants this job (not scared like Drew) and contacted us. If it happens, watch the press conference and you will see why he can recruit. Let's give him a chance. Trust me, he is way better than the other names being thrown out.

Hmmmmm.

Judges?

image.gif

Ok. I'll......try.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
So I guess the cat is out of the bag. No pun intended :).If we do get the deal done with JP, I know many will hate it but hear me out. The quickest way back as a program is landing top players and recruiting. Without a doubt, JP is a top recruiter and if the rumored staff is true, we can lock down the ATL. He will learn from his mistakes at Memphis and build a better staff. Remember, he had to follow Calipari and I think he was only 31 at the time. Not an easy task.
Initially JP was not a target b/c of the huge buyout. Apparently Memphis is willing to negotiate it way down or waive it. He wants this job (not scared like Drew) and contacted us. If it happens, watch the press conference and you will see why he can recruit. Let's give him a chance. Trust me, he is way better than the other names being thrown out.

OK let's stipulate that Pastner would bring in a couple of talented kids. Do you really think that Pastner could get GT to even middle of the ACC? His track record is talented teams that don't live up to that level of talent. Sounds to me like a recipe to get chewed up in the ACC by coaches who will out scheme him all day long with similar talent. I don't see him as having any staying power. What are you seeing that I must be missing? Please talk me off the ledge as I am going to go be a full time UVA fan with this otherwise (other degree)

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Well, now that I've slept on it, I will give the guy a chance, and I will gladly eat crow if he turns the program around, but I think we have another Paul Hewitt on our hands, maybe slightly better but I doubt it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Well, now that I've slept on it, I will give the guy a chance, and I will gladly eat crow if he turns the program around, but I think we have another Paul Hewitt on our hands, maybe slightly better but I doubt it.

Nope, Paul Hewitt actually accomplished something independent of Calipari's recruits.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of people cite his recruiting as a positive. Signing guys up isn't what I'm worried about. It's the ability to keep guys on the team. His roster churn the last couple years has to put him around the top for number of players transferring out.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I am all in. I trust our leadership and look forward to moving forward. Now I said the same thing when we hired a national coach of the year to replace Bobby Ross (Bill ------) . Was told his name can't be stated on swarm. On the other hand, I stated the same thing when we hired a young Bobby Cremins. With this hire, I am sure of two things: he will not be another Cremins and he won't be another L----!

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I like this hire as long as he continues to Recruit on the same level or higher, Make sure we pick up a good assistant coach for Xs and Os and this could turn out great for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I am all in. I trust our leadership and look forward to moving forward. Now I said the same thing when we hired a national coach of the year to replace Bobby Ross (Bill ------) . Was told his name can't be stated on swarm. On the other hand, I stated the same thing when we hired a young Bobby Cremins. With this hire, I am sure of two things: he will not be another Cremins and he won't be another L----!

Blindly trusting leadership is a dangerous endeavor.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I am ok with this hire (if it's true, who knows anymore). At least he is a step up from Gregory, and if (assuming we've learned from our mistakes) we don't have a big buyout he can stabilize the team and get us out from under the Hewitt buyout. I'll think positive for now...maybe his time at Memphis was just a learning experience, like Belicheck with the Browns, and he'll blow up at Tech.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
How far did he advance in the tourney that year? Had to be Sweet 16 at least, right?
No, but winning 31 games isn't accomplishing nothing, as you insinuated in your previous post. You losing one game in March doesn't totally negate everything positive you did throughout the season.

gtfan088

Georgia Tech Fan
Further than our last coach ever did.

Gregory had been to the 2nd round at Dayton. Same as Pastner at Memphis. Gregory wasn't missed by the Dayton fan base, and all indications are Pastner won't be missed by Memphis.

I'll give the guy a chance (because as a fan, there aren't many other options) but on the surface there's not a lot to like. Having so many players unhappy and transferring out seems like a bad sign.