The Search Reloaded

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Martin would be a good get despite his warts. Would clean up here on the trail. Give him a nice budget to keep high quality assts and we'd be BACK! Whatever "back" means.

Cal wld probably end up with Turner if they're smart. Both sides win.

There's the rub. Budget for hiring assistants has been a problem for both revenue sports, iiuc.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Hire him now and let's get this **** going. I want a coach that can recruit and he can obviously do that. Get some good assistants around him and he can get this rolling quick. I'm not worried about him leaving in a few years for another job. If he does it means this program is back and we can get who we want. I have no interest in an up and comer. I don't want to waste another 4-5 years watching someone try to build there foundation. Been there done that. Drew bitched out and the other guys haven't proven they can win or recruit on this level. Get Martin if he's the guy and let's get this program back to respectability in the next 2-3 years.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not thrilled about Martin, but definitely not as bad as it can be. Give him a contract with a very favorable buyout for us, and let him re-stock the cupboard for the next 3 years. Best case he wins, worst case we look for a real coach with a solid roster intact.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2021.. Mark Price takes a roster full of Cuonzo kids to the Tourney and wins it all!!!
This.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

I would not hire Mark Price today. I would hire Mark Price if he shows he can coach & recruit college hoops and I think he's gonna head in that direction. By the time Cuonzo is done here, we'll have that data and can make a rational, data-driven decision on whether to bring Mark Price home.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Cuonzo's a terrible coach but whatever floats our boat. At least he'll be an upgrade from CBG who was a terrible coach that also couldn't recruit. I'm not really excited but we'll probably make a run in the tourney in year 3 due to talent alone but I think that's the plateau.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I am more excited about the prospect of Martin than I was Capel. I haven't watched his teams play, but he has rebuilt three programs and his record suggests he certainly knows how to win (however you want to define "coaching").

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Think about the criteria:
HC experience - check
Great Recruiter - check
Solid x's and o's - check
NCAA tournament runs - check
Solid x's and o's - No way
NCAA tournament runs - Been only twice and only went past the 1st round once (Sweet 16)

I'm not really using the tournament runs as a reason to dismiss him I'm just throwing a counterpoint out there. My main concern is his x's and o's. I haven't seen it. I didn't watch Cal much but there was none at UT.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
I can't sit through games featuring five talented guys looking like they've never played together before, night after night. Been there. Done that. Other options?

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I am more excited about the prospect of Martin than I was Capel. I haven't watched his teams play, but he has rebuilt three programs and his record suggests he certainly knows how to win (however you want to define "coaching").
Me,too. And more than with Drew as well.