The Search Reloaded

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For those that were excited about Capel, you should be just excited about Cuonzo. High level recruiter, has trended up at every stop. The only difference between Capel and Cuonzo is that CM didn't sit behind Coach K the last 5 years. Instead, he was out rebuilding P5 programs. CM also doesn't have the baggage that Capel has from his last years at Oklahoma.

As others have stated, you're looking at a guy who can re-stock the cupboard in a hurry. If he decides to bolt after 3 years, there will be talent and $$$$ money to offer the next guy. That's a much better position than we find ourselves in now.

Is he my top choice? No...but there are WAY more positives here than negatives. CM is a much better outcome than having to settle on Kelsey or some other low mid major who just started their HC career.

Last edited:

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My post on a different forum:

This would be a HR at this stage of the game. Cuonzo Martin will rake in talent at GT and he has better experience running a P5 program. He has won at every stop. Someone else said it well, he may not be perfect, but he is perfect for our current situation.

This gets me really excited again, but I would be looking for an assistant known for X & O's if he got the job. To me, it would be a flat out face saver or MBob. Kelsey and McCall may be a fine coaches some day, but there's no comparison between these two and Cuonzo Martin.

Lock him MBob and make us all look silly for doubting you!

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer

divergent-bad-movie-reviews-3.gif

Are we sure we're not being punked?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So how many times will the "sources claim x is a candidate" followed by "sources claim x is not a candidate" play out? I'm guessing at least once more. Maybe twice.

I hope someone at this point puts out a tweet that says "sources told ESPN that sources know jack all about georgia tech's coaching search" followed by someone else tweeting "Jack is not a candidate at Georgia tech, sources told ESPN."

LibertyTurns

Banned
Lock him MBob and make us all look silly for doubting you!
Nobody's silly for doubting our AD at this point. This will be a nice recovery hire after the other whiffs, but the bottom line is a good leader doesn't put his organization at risk like our AD has. You don't make yourself, your company, your Team look good by botching a leadership transition. The only way this turns out well is if we see a substantial turnaround in the next 2 years. Might be the case anyway unless Drew misfires. If Drew gets off to a good start, massive griping about what could have been will ensue. If If we're flat or down, the war drums will be beating for 2 changes and this period become a case study for other AD's on how not to manage one of your school's two major revenue programs. Right now, it's probably an example among others. It will be in a standalone category if Cuonzo doesn't work out here and this is viewed retroactively as a panic hire.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My question is why are there 2 threads for the same exact topic?
The previous thread became a rant fest about Bryce Drew and people asked to start a new one so we could refocus on information. Saw that and I started a new one.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

You can't script this nonsense. If our coaching search were a movie, what would it be? Titanic? Requiem for a Dream? I dunno, gotta be something where it looks like everybody's gonna live then everybody dies. The Mist?

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
My question is why are there 2 threads for the same exact topic?
I think this was suppose to be like The Search 2, kinda like Jaws 2 or Diehard 2, but in this case we were hoping things would get better from Search 1...thinking we need to start another post The Search Reloaded One More Time and hope we can leave all the mess behind soon lol