The QB Possibilities

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't think I've ever seen the presumptive starting QB at Tech under CPJ marginalized as much as some folks are doing now. It kind of reminds me how Stwewart was treated going up against some other message board legends. All he did was start as a true freshman, true soph and soon to be true Junior. I for the life of me just don't get it.

You must have missed the Tevin Washington years when Vad was the backup. Tevin was a flat out afterthought for some even though CPJ said he was the starter and Vad couldn't beat him out.

I think we'll see a clearer picture of who stands where at the spring game. All these spring practice reports are nice, but they talk little about which QB is taking snaps with which team (first team, second team, etc.). It's one thing to ring up yards and TDs against the 3rd team, it's another when you do it on our first team (insert snide comments from the peanut gallery). IMO, just knowing how CPJ has been with known quantities, I'd be shocked if someone other than MJ was the starter. CPJ likes guys who he knows he can trust with the offense. Right now, MJ has CPJ's confidence more than the other guys if you read between the lines. It would take a guy who has freak talents for CPJ to overlook experience...and I don't think any of our QBs fall into that category. Doesn't mean CPJ won't give another QB a run to mix things up, barring something out of left field, I think MJ's the guy at the Benz.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
You must have missed the Tevin Washington years when Vad was the backup. Tevin was a flat out afterthought for some even though CPJ said he was the starter and Vad couldn't beat him out.

I think we'll see a clearer picture of who stands where at the spring game. All these spring practice reports are nice, but they talk little about which QB is taking snaps with which team (first team, second team, etc.). It's one thing to ring up yards and TDs against the 3rd team, it's another when you do it on our first team (insert snide comments from the peanut gallery). IMO, just knowing how CPJ has been with known quantities, I'd be shocked if someone other than MJ was the starter. CPJ likes guys who he knows he can trust with the offense. Right now, MJ has CPJ's confidence more than the other guys if you read between the lines. It would take a guy who has freak talents for CPJ to overlook experience...and I don't think any of our QBs fall into that category. Doesn't mean CPJ won't give another QB a run to mix things up, barring something out of left field, I think MJ's the guy at the Benz.
I really do think CPJ will play the guy who makes our offense the best, regardless of experience. He's proven that multiple times. Mills over Marshall, Braun over Devine, Nesbitt over Jaybo, Tevin over Vad (though still giving Vad opportunities to make something happen). Older or younger, he'll play the best guy.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't what you call bigger-in the last Tech listings I saw it had Jones at 6, 175 lbs while TM was 5-10, 185--neither is what I call big in this day.I don't see either running midline as a standard play .
I don't buy into the listed weights to much. You can just look at JJ and TM and tell JJ is bigger.i could be wrong though.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Coach has always played the best player - in past the backup players had to "age" to be big enough to make the field. Looking at the bench during the shreveport bowl the de a son they were on bench was obvious. Last year except for dl the starters were not that physically different from the bench. In fact the new depth calls for coach playing younger players. After end of 15 this all changed.
Now I hope we keep every one motivated by findIing a way for the select bench players get very good at certain plays and they get in the game in a none garage time.

This class 17 appears to have some players.

Could it be that "gt football" and "depth" are used in same sentence without "no"???

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really do think CPJ will play the guy who makes our offense the best, regardless of experience. He's proven that multiple times. Mills over Marshall, Braun over Devine, Nesbitt over Jaybo, Tevin over Vad (though still giving Vad opportunities to make something happen). Older or younger, he'll play the best guy.

I think your examples you listed prove my point on CPJ going with guys he can trust...age is not a factor as you mentioned. Marshall had ball security and blocking issues, and given Mills's dependability in getting positive yardage and equal if not better blocking ability, it was a no brainer for CPJ to start the freshmen. Devine is as physically gifted as anyone GT has ever had, but CPJ couldn't trust him to stay on the field due to conditioning.

As I mentioned, there are times when you choose physical/ability superiority over knowledge of the system. CPJ said that he had to hold some of the offense back his first year because Nesbitt couldn't run some of the plays. But his ability was such that he couldn't keep him off the field. We all knew Jaybo was a steady hand back there, as was Tim Byerly, but Jaybo didn't have Nesbitt's talent nor did Byerly have JeT's talents.

MJ's athleticism get overlooked a lot. There's no one behind him that has the type of talent that you have to put on the field ahead of what MJ can do for us, and his experience. You don't go into VATech and do the things he did if you aren't a good player.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think your examples you listed prove my point on CPJ going with guys he can trust...age is not a factor as you mentioned. Marshall had ball security and blocking issues, and given Mills's dependability in getting positive yardage and equal if not better blocking ability, it was a no brainer for CPJ to start the freshmen. Devine is as physically gifted as anyone GT has ever had, but CPJ couldn't trust him to stay on the field due to conditioning.

As I mentioned, there are times when you choose physical/ability superiority over knowledge of the system. CPJ said that he had to hold some of the offense back his first year because Nesbitt couldn't run some of the plays. But his ability was such that he couldn't keep him off the field. We all knew Jaybo was a steady hand back there, as was Tim Byerly, but Jaybo didn't have Nesbitt's talent nor did Byerly have JeT's talents.

MJ's athleticism get overlooked a lot. There's no one behind him that has the type of talent that you have to put on the field ahead of what MJ can do for us, and his experience. You don't go into VATech and do the things he did if you aren't a good player.
Agree on all above except Mills. IMO He is a once in a decade bb who had to play. Marshall was very good as well so I think coach would have tweaked the scheme so they both played circa the SMU. Marshall and mills would have been legendary.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I agree MJ is better than some think and he might get overlooked with his athleticism, but we aren't at the practices so it's crazy to say we have NO one behind him with the talent that you have to put on the field ahead of what he does. CPJ has praised JJ's athleticism, just go listen to his tone of voice when he talked about JJ and how no one can tackle him. Another poster close to the program has also stated how excited CPJ is about JJ. Now that's not to say he will beat MJ out but if we have yet to see the other guys play, I think it's crazy to make a statement of NO one. If you have been to the practices and are close to the program I apologize in advance lol.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, that was my point. Supporting cast is everything.

We will have a pretty good supporting cast for whoever stands under center.

@dressedcheeseside, what I will be interested to see is how this coming season compares to '15. We literally have the nearly opposite situation occurring this year vs in '15. '15 was the loss of six skill players and Shaq on the O, while this year we had three skill position players, albeit the QB graduate. If our record stays the same or better we will have at least some semblance of an answer. My question is do you feel the same about this scenario?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
@dressedcheeseside, what I will be interested to see is how this coming season compares to '15. We literally have the nearly opposite situation occurring this year vs in '15. '15 was the loss of six skill players and Shaq on the O, while this year we had three skill position players, albeit the QB graduate. If our record stays the same or better we will have at least some semblance of an answer. My question is do you feel the same about this scenario?
I like this year at this point better than I did in spring of '15 .

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
It doesn't matter who is the QB, I feel confident. I think all can execute the TO and all we have to do is throw it up and our playmaking WR's will get it (Ricky, B*** S******, Jalen, Messick, Dolphus, & Anderson) Those are some top tier ballers!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't matter who is the QB, I feel confident. I think all can execute the TO and all we have to do is throw it up and our playmaking WR's will get it (Ricky, B*** S******, Jalen, Messick, Dolphus, & Anderson) Those are some top tier ballers!
Ball security is a huge issue in this offense and it only comes with reps. Dudes need reps!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
How will the spring game work with the QB's?will the 3rd string guy be on the same team as the 1st string guy and the 2nd and 4th string guys be on the same teams with the twos?