The QB Possibilities

SlawDog

Banned
How will the spring game work with the QB's?will the 3rd string guy be on the same team as the 1st string guy and the 2nd and 4th string guys be on the same teams with the twos?
I thought there wasn't a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th string! I thought it was an equal competition! You confuse me
I'm here to tell you the 1st string guy won't be playing

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/99140/mailbag-which-version-of-louisville-shows-up-in-2017

@JShankerESPN @DavidHaleESPN With Matthew Jordan injured, does GT's projection take a big hit, or does the surrounding talent still hold up the backups?

JS: And the reason Oct. 12 is important is because that's the week the Canes host Georgia Tech on a Thursday coming off a bye week. I'm high on the Yellow Jackets after they ended the season winning five of six. Georgia Tech is always tough to peg preseason, and the noncontact foot injury QB Matthew Jordan suffered this week complicates it even more. Coach Paul Johnson made Jordan the No. 1 entering spring with the hope he'd win the job by next week's game. It was made clear last year he's capable of replacing Justin Thomas when he led an upset of Virginia Tech. If this injury significantly sets Jordan back -- there's no announced timetable for a return -- then I'm not nearly as confident in the Yellow Jackets being a tough out in the Coastal.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I thought there wasn't a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th string! I thought it was an equal competition! You confuse me
I'm here to tell you the 1st string guy won't be playing
He's obviously got to set guys on each side. I asked the question to get a better idea of who coach feels at this point is 1-4. Just because he sets guys as 1-4 doesn't make it not an open competition lol, it's not that hard of a concept to understand. It's a long way from game 1 and that's why imo it's an open competition. Is there someone who coach would name number 1 if he had to? Of course, but he's a coach and has done this for a while so he understand things can change in 5 months and someone can step up with it being such a close competition, anyone that has played and understands the game of football should understand that. Maybe you're right and MJ is the starter day 1, but that still doesn't mean it wasn't a competition, it just means no one was able to pass him up in those 5 months. But if you honestly don't think guys can step there game up in 5 months and ball out, then idk what to tell you. That's why you see guys one year be solid and the next year be all conference guys. But like Ive said before I'm sure CPJ will put the best QB on the field. I don't disagree that MJ is the number 1 right now but my point is guys aren't to far off and it's a tighter competition than, let's say B back. If it was as obvious as B back I would guess coach wouldn't be saying it's an open competition, what would be the reason?

SlawDog

Banned
He's obviously got to set guys on each side. I asked the question to get a better idea of who coach feels at this point is 1-4. Just because he sets guys as 1-4 doesn't make it not an open competition lol, it's not that hard of a concept to understand. It's a long way from game 1 and that's why imo it's an open competition. Is there someone who coach would name number 1 if he had to? Of course, but he's a coach and has done this for a while so he understand things can change in 5 months and someone can step up with it being such a close competition, anyone that has played and understands the game of football should understand that. Maybe you're right and MJ is the starter day 1, but that still doesn't mean it wasn't a competition, it just means no one was able to pass him up in those 5 months. But if you honestly don't think guys can step there game up in 5 months and ball out, then idk what to tell you. That's why you see guys one year be solid and the next year be all conference guys. But like Ive said before I'm sure CPJ will put the best QB on the field. I don't disagree that MJ is the number 1 right now but my point is guys aren't to far off and it's a tighter competition than, let's say B back. If it was as obvious as B back I would guess coach wouldn't be saying it's an open competition, what would be the reason?
Obviously you have no idea because you have not attended 1 practice or 1 coaches meeting....obviously

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Obviously you have no idea because you have not attended 1 practice or 1 coaches meeting....obviously
Ok...... have you attended 1 coaches meeting? Not so sure a practice would give much insight, if it did the players would know what the depth chart looked like and then the whole motivation thing is thrown out the window at that time and there would be no point in CPJ saying it's an open competition. But you completely ignore the fact that a player can change a lot in 5 months and anything can happened in that time, do you not agree? Its part of the game of football and like I said anyone who has played and know the game of football should understand that.It's funny how you ignored every comment with no fact to debunk them. So I'll ask again what's the point in CPJ saying it's an open competition if it's really not even close?

SlawDog

Banned
Ok...... have you attended 1 coaches meeting? Not so sure a practice would give much insight, if it did the players would know what the depth chart looked like and then the whole motivation thing is thrown out the window at that time and there would be no point in CPJ saying it's an open competition. But you completely ignore the fact that a player can change a lot in 5 months and anything can happened in that time, do you not agree? Its part of the game of football and like I said anyone who has played and know the game of football should understand that.It's funny how you ignored every comment with no fact to debunk them. So I'll ask again what's the point in CPJ saying it's an open competition if it's really not even close?
I agree, MJ can change a lot in the next five months and jump much further ahead of the other QBs.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, MJ can change a lot in the next five months and jump much further ahead of the other QBs.

While that is certainly possible, I'd have to guess less than probable considering he will be rehabbing an injury for a good portion of that 5 months. I'd like to see MJ wind up the starter, he's put in his dues and is tough as nails up the middle. On the other hand, TM has put in some dues as well and brings a different set of abilities to the table, not necessarily better, just different. I believe CPJ when he states its a competition. It will be interesting to see how it develops by the end of August.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
While that is certainly possible, I'd have to guess less than probable considering he will be rehabbing an injury for a good portion of that 5 months. I'd like to see MJ wind up the starter, he's put in his dues and is tough as nails up the middle. On the other hand, TM has put in some dues as well and brings a different set of abilities to the table, not necessarily better, just different. I believe CPJ when he states its a competition. It will be interesting to see how it develops by the end of August.
Unless TM can pass like JeT, defenses will be able to key on the outside run like they did with much success against our O in recent seasons. I was excited to see what an inside running qb would bring to the table. Alas, none of our current (healthy) qb's are inside runners.....

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Unless TM can pass like JeT, defenses will be able to key on the outside run like they did with much success against our O in recent seasons. I was excited to see what an inside running qb would bring to the table. Alas, none of our current (healthy) qb's are inside runners.....
I can agree with this, for some reason I thought Jones had decent size though and he might. If he's 195 he can run inside some, just wouldn't want it as much as MJ. I just don't know his current weight after being in the program for a year. Anyone with inside info know anything about his size?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I posted a video of JJ earlier in this thread but just found his senior highlights which gives a better idea of just how strong his arm is, I think some are underestimating his arm so here it is.

Here's MJ's because some think he can't pass well but he can. I think he hasn't done that great in games yet, but I think he just needs to slow down and be patient, and he will be fine.