The QB Possibilities

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree he says things to motivate players but to an extent. I just don't see the logic in doing that with the QB's but not other positions like WR. Imo he probably has it narrowed down to two guys, but I could be wrong. If I had to guess it would be MJ and JJ. I also believe if a game was tomorrow he would know who the starter was, but he understands a lot can change from now till the first game, and he might see something in a player that he says he might make it by week 1 and that's why he is saying it's an open competition. JMO.

No matter who the QB is, I think TM needs to move to AB. kid can fly.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if TM is that much better than JJones--they seem like the same quick- jitterbug type with maybe questionable arms at this point.So TM could easily move to Aback and leave Jones.(also Oliver the FR may be better than both overall) .
Johnson seems to bring a better arm.This is just my perception.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

I want the best player at each position regardless, but this is the way I hope it shakes out, as well. I wouldn't even mind if TM made that move and took his RS (which I think he should have gotten to take last year...).

In my ideal scenario (which doesn't sound like the current reality, but my scenario is based solely on keeping everyone and maximizing their abilities), MJ is backed up by LJ, with Oliver turning out to be good enough to be #3. That way TM and JJ get on the field at other positions and all these QB candidates end up playing lots of games while at GT.

But I am so pumped about the talent we appear to be stacking up at QB!!!

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I want the best player at each position regardless, but this is the way I hope it shakes out, as well. I wouldn't even mind if TM made that move and took his RS (which I think he should have gotten to take last year...).

In my ideal scenario (which doesn't sound like the current reality, but my scenario is based solely on keeping everyone and maximizing their abilities), MJ is backed up by LJ, with Oliver turning out to be good enough to be #3. That way TM and JJ get on the field at other positions and all these QB candidates end up playing lots of games while at GT.

But I am so pumped about the talent we appear to be stacking up at QB!!!
Dude, you jinxed it!! Or, maybe it was me. Could've even been CPJ. Nahhh, you were the last one; it was definitely you.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if TM is that much better than JJones--they seem like the same quick- jitterbug type with maybe questionable arms at this point.So TM could easily move to Aback and leave Jones.(also Oliver the FR may be better than both overall) .
Johnson seems to bring a better arm.This is just my perception.
Jones is bigger than TM, I don't think we would run much midline and plays like that with TM, but with Jones we could. Jones also has a pretty good arm. Here's his high school highlights.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Of course he didn't say it like I did lol.

But Here's the audio for it.
https://secure-hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/7...91830308&hwt=ad350d5b4ad7e0a3501b9c6f4855452d

I think you read way more into those comments than the comments warranted. I have since seen an article...maybe by Winkeljohn...quoting Candeto who said much more to imply an open competition exists. I remain doubtful till I hear it from the big guy too...or see evidence of a younger guy stepping up and creating separation.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think you read way more into those comments than the comments warranted. I have since seen an article...maybe by Winkeljohn...quoting Candeto who said much more to imply an open competition exists. I remain doubtful till I hear it from the big guy too...or see evidence of a younger guy stepping up and creating separation.
I don't see myself reading to much into anything. He was asked about the number two spot for Bback and he said Dedrick is the number 1. He then said QB is still a competition, why would he state who the number 1 Bback is and then turn around and say the QB is still a competition. He also said he wouldn't count JJ out as being the starter, which tells me it's an open competition because the guys are so close in ability, we didn't hear him say that about B back. Why else would he say those things?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
My prediction is MJ will start and some folks will be calling like mad for the back up anytime the offense struggles. It will be Tevin/Vad all over again, but less severe since supporting cast on offense is better.

Death, taxes, and calling for the back up QB, because CPJ is stubborn, clueless, overly loyal, doesnt play the best guy.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think I've ever seen the presumptive starting QB at Tech under CPJ marginalized as much as some folks are doing now. It kind of reminds me how Stwewart was treated going up against some other message board legends. All he did was start as a true freshman, true soph and soon to be true Junior. I for the life of me just don't get it.

You clearly haven't followed Georgia tech football more than 3 years. I gotta laugh at the brad Stewart being picked on. I think you're a bit overly sensitive on that one.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Jones is bigger than TM, I don't think we would run much midline and plays like that with TM, but with Jones we could. Jones also has a pretty good arm. Here's his high school highlights.

I don't what you call bigger-in the last Tech listings I saw it had Jones at 6, 175 lbs while TM was 5-10, 185--neither is what I call big in this day.I don't see either running midline as a standard play .

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Jones is a great athlete. CPJ always is mentioning his athleticism. Elusive & fast with a little power. He has a cannon but I'm not sure about his accuracy. All that improvisation and back foot throwing has to go though.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Regardless, we need to expect a drop off for a few games or maybe the whole season from the days of JT. He could put the whole team on his back in the fourth quarter and take us to victory. I can only name a few QBs, that had that ability, from my decades being a Tech fan.
This is still my biggest doubt going into next season. I don't see anything else being that much different (maybe a little better), but QB ... JT leaves a huge hole, not because the other guys are bad but because JT was exactly what you said.
Maybe one of these other guys will bring his own form of magic.

Last edited: