The QB Possibilities

Deleted member 2897

I for the life of me can't understand much of this. We have FOUR good QB options this year. 1 is already more than proven, so if anybody happens to beat him out for the job, that means they are balling out. CPJ is known when asked about how players are doing in practice to give answers like 'He was okay, he did some things.' or 'He acquitted himself pretty well. He has some things to work on.' I've NEVER heard CPJ have such firm unmovable confidence in someone like he has had in MJ. I am sure I am missing someone...but my point is if CPJ is this confident, then we shouldn't be worrying. The only thing I can figure out is that people remember a couple ducks at Virginia Tech and for some reason those 2-3 throws overshadow all his other throws that game and in all his other games to them. I think thats an unreasonable memory.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I for the life of me can't understand much of this. We have FOUR good QB options this year. 1 is already more than proven, so if anybody happens to beat him out for the job, that means they are balling out. CPJ is known when asked about how players are doing in practice to give answers like 'He was okay, he did some things.' or 'He acquitted himself pretty well. He has some things to work on.' I've NEVER heard CPJ have such firm unmovable confidence in someone like he has had in MJ. I am sure I am missing someone...but my point is if CPJ is this confident, then we shouldn't be worrying. The only thing I can figure out is that people remember a couple ducks at Virginia Tech and for some reason those 2-3 throws overshadow all his other throws that game and in all his other games to them. I think thats an unreasonable memory.
Great point and I agree MJ is going to be great in our scheme and if someone beats him out they will be great in our scheme..

I think MJ has bought in to our offense and is a team first guy!!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
People are worried because he's not JeT and doesn't possess his exact skill set. He has a different skill set but no less valuable. Defenses are gonna game plan to take away the inside runs and it's gonna expose the outside which is where most of our homeruns come from. In addition to that, we have two returning starters at wr with some exciting very phsyical youngsters behind them.

I, for one, am super excited to see what develops!

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
Seem to recall last year's Spring Game where MJ was running the 1's. If one considers moving the ball, not making mistakes, taking time off the clock, and scoring some points a good thing, then believe that MJ did a very good job. Significantly more than what could be called serviceable.

Going back to VaTech last year. All MJ did was step up and lead the team to a hard fought victory with short notice.

Is he JT. No.
Does he need to be JT for Tech to be successful. Do not believe so.
Does he need to do the things that he does, and do them well. Resoundingly, yes he does.

Do believe that while his skills and talents are somewhat different that JT's, the offense has more than enough flexibility to accept different types of talent at quarterback. Really believe that MJ will do very good things for the next two years. Would much rather show up on Saturdays with him on Tech's sideline versus the other's!

THWG! Great to say that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

Seem to recall last year's Spring Game where MJ was running the 1's. If one considers moving the ball, not making mistakes, taking time off the clock, and scoring some points a good thing, then believe that MJ did a very good job. Significantly more than what could be called serviceable.

Going back to VaTech last year. All MJ did was step up and lead the team to a hard fought victory with short notice.

Is he TJ. No.
Does he need to be TJ for Tech to be successful. Do not believe so.
Does he need to do the things that he does, and do them well. Resoundingly, yes he does.

Do believe that while his skills and talents are somewhat different that TJ's, the offense has more than enough flexibility to accept different types of talent at quarterback. Really believe that MJ will do very good things for the next two years. Would much rather show up on Saturdays with him on Tech's sideline versus the other's!

THWG! Great to say that.

Who is TJ? Is he that rumored grad transfer we've been hearing about Tustin Jhomas?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
With all the talk about our QB situation it got me to thinking, specifically about the QBs we had a shot at in recruiting but they chose to go elsewhere. Who were some of the QBs we've actually recruited during CPJ's tenure would liked to have seen is sign? Myself, I was sold on Devin Fuller a few years back and would've loved to see what he could've done in our offense. Love to hear you guy's thoughts

I like what we have. The most important thing is buy in. Are you willing to learn how to run the option from under center? Can you take the punishment? Do you make good decisions on whether to keep or pitch? Can you make the throws knowing your guy more than likely will be open? Looking out for number one on draft day will not cut it in this offense. It's a tough job but I am sure they know that going in. After all, according to Coach Johnson they all come "highly recommended".

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I'm just looking to spark conversation. I like MJ a lot and I think that at his best he can be another Josh Nesbitt for us. Maybe even slightly better because I believe he can throw the ball better than Josh. Its the of season and I just wanna see what you guys think.
Understandable. To be honest, I cannot think of any quarterbacks we pursued who would be really any better than what we have. If Coach Johnson is happy, then I am happy. They will be fine and it will sort itself out in the long run. The one constant is that the most popular player on the team with the fans will not be the starter but who ever is second string. It seemingly always happens except when JT was the quarterback.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Matt Jordan is our next QB and he is talented and we are loaded...The four behind him we have depth....

Below is a link talking about his abilities back in 2013

Link
https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.com/articles/10839002/jackson_qb_matthew_jordan_anno.amp

My beloved wife is from southwest Alabama. Monroeville is just across the Alabama River from Jackson. Anyway, the chatter from her football fan relatives was that MJ was the best quarterback to come out of their neck of the woods in some years. We will see. The article talked about how smart he is and willing to learn the nuances of option football. This is probably job one for a Georgia Tech quarterback.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe it could be looked at this way. MJ might be as much of a basher as Nesbitt and is faster. He's a better runner than Washington, and at least as good a passer as Washington or Nesbitt. He will run the option better than Lee. He has a better surrounding cast than JT had in 2015 or 2016. CPJ thought enough of his athleticism as a RFr to put him at AB prior to Byerly's injury just to get him on the field. He has done everything you could ask of a backup QB when called upon including just standing and being ready. By mid season, he should be a hybrid of Nesbitt, Washington, and Thomas as far as running/passing/executing the option in their first year. CPJ has seen him enough to know his strengths and weaknesses and how to put him in a position to succeed.

Barring injuries, grades, or suspensions, when you take AB, BB, and WR as a whole, I think it is the most solid group CPJ has ever had here. It is a much better situation than 2015 when we had a star at QB and newbies all around him. No doubt we will need MJ to win a game or two on his own for us sometime this year. Most often he will just need to get the ball to the playmakers, and keep turnovers to a minimum.

We have a pretty good record with first year QB's thru the years. Kelly in '78, Dewberry in '84 (I know he played quite a bit in '83 but '84 was when he took over), Jones in '89, Hamilton in '96, Godsey in '2000, Reggie's first year was statistically his best I think, Nesbitt in '08, Washington started out 6-0 in '11, JT in 2014. If MJ plays well against UT on Labor Day, we might be in for something special.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

My thoughts on the aforementioned "ducks". MJ had never started a game at Tech before. Hostile stadium crowd. GT was a big underdog. To be sure, he was on a very tight lease. We were going to run the dive and the midline right at them period. He did not have to win the game by himself. All he had to do was limit mistakes which meant don't throw the damn ball into a crowd. He missed Lynch on a seam route that was pretty wide open but not by much. He will be fine and if he struggles he will have plenty of back up. I think that a lot of PJ's confidence that you alluded to is based upon MJ's rapport with his teammates and his own self confidence. He is smart, a good athlete, and has the arm to make the throws to keep an opposing team's DBs honest. What more can you ask of an option quarterback?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes. And I think Coach has given us the reason for this. I remember someone asking him in a press conference after VT whether he had confidence in Jordan going into the game. His reply was something like, "He has plenty of confidence in himself." In coach speak that comes across as, "No need for me to show confidence in him; he's got plenty enough as it is and it's justified." My guess is that's why Coach isn't worried. That and what he has already seen in practice, of course.

I think we have a Will Worth here and we might have – dare I even hope this? – a Jack Mildren. (I hope, I hope, I hope.)

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Wow this went waaaayyy off track. We've got a nice discussion going but this is not even remotely close to the conversion I was trying to spark. Oh well, tis the nature of message boards, I guess *shrugs*.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Wow this went waaaayyy off track. We've got a nice discussion going but this is not even remotely close to the conversion I was trying to spark. Oh well, tis the nature of message boards, I guess *shrugs*.

So redirect us? What do you want us to discuss???

/