The Next realignment

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so I say pay the players, but include their tuition and food in the pay and thus tax it. Once you head down this road this will be the case. then the players will be saying....What I have to pay more in taxes than what I get paid.
I am not sure why you would have to do this. My friend had a GT scholarship and got paid to perform graduate research. Why is being paid to participate in a sport different in terms of being allowed to receive a scholarship? I don't see why the scholarships would cease to exist just because the players began being paid for their after school activities.

That would really kill schools like Duke and Stanford, where tuition is higher than a cat's back. And, for public schools would you tax out-of-state players more, since they are getting an out-of-state tuition break?
The school does not have charge out of state if it does not want to (or maybe it is controlled by the BOR?). Regardless, they can choose to include all athletes as in state if the state decides it wanted to.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I say let the 20-25 “money” schools break off and have their semi-pro teams. And then have the rest REFUSE to play them. ~half the teams will have records under .500 and they won’t be able to fill their 100k stadiums.

Meanwhile, we’ll enjoy a competitive league, be near the top of the heap, etc in a conference with UVA, Duke, Vandy, SMU, Rice, etc... Could be lots of fun!
I for one am a-ok with this. Don’t think of it as us dropping down just think of us as being a college team and those who leave to be a minor league football team.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Malcolm Gladwell talks about the “ghettoization” of football, stating that the people who choose to play the game are those who are willing to take on the head injury risk because of the financial opportunity. I have friends who lead youth sports organizations in higher social-economic income areas (e.g. Buckhead), and they’ve repeatedly stated that football enrollment is down across the board. This tells me that those playing are in even greater need of the immediate financial benefits of professional or paid football than has been (on average) in the past. My belief is that they’ll either pay the players or introduce a form of minor league football. The NCAA is scared to death of the latter, but I don’t see the current model sustaining itself long term. We can’t maintain this sembelence of amateur status as a greater % of the players play for nothing more than the financial rewards.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Malcolm Gladwell talks about the “ghettoization” of football, stating that the people who choose to play the game are those who are willing to take on the head injury risk because of the financial opportunity. I have friends who lead youth sports organizations in higher social-economic income areas (e.g. Buckhead), and they’ve repeatedly stated that football enrollment is down across the board. This tells me that those playing are in even greater need of the immediate financial benefits of professional or paid football than has been (on average) in the past. My belief is that they’ll either pay the players or introduce a form of minor league football. The NCAA is scared to death of the latter, but I don’t see the current model sustaining itself long term. We can’t maintain this sembelence of amateur status as a greater % of the players play for nothing more than the financial rewards.
I think Little League,High School,College and NFL football will eventually die as a sport or be banned within 20 years because parents not letting their children play and because of lawsuits concerning head injuries. When football dies as a sport the lawyers and "experts" will go after UFC,Boxing and Pro Wrestling because of concussions,head and brain injuries.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think little league,high school,college and NFL football will eventually die as a sport or be banned within 20 years because parents not letting their children play and because of lawsuits concerning head injuries. When football dies as a sport the lawyers and "experts" will go after UFC,Boxing and Pro Wrestling because of concussions,head and brain injuries.
I think it slowly just dies, there are fewer kids playing now which will lead to fewer athletes for college teams, fewer guys that can play nfl level ball, etc.... eventually the level of play at the top will drop to a point no one wants to watch and it just dies. “Trickle up theory”

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think it slowly just dies, there are fewer kids playing now which will lead to fewer athletes for college teams, fewer guys that can play nfl level ball, etc.... eventually the level of play at the top will drop to a point no one wants to watch and it just dies. “Trickle up theory”
Right now if i had children i probably wouldn't let them play football.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I am not sure that football will die. There's too much money involved in the football palaces that have been built. Bonds have to be repaid, etc. New rules will come into play to moderate the sport ... who knows. Of course, we could see soccer take over the same role as football ... which would greatly equalize the field for all.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure that football will die. There's too much money involved in the football palaces that have been built. Bonds have to be repaid, etc. New rules will come into play to moderate the sport ... who knows. Of course, we could see soccer take over the same role as football ... which would greatly equalize the field for all.
Yeah i think Soccer will eventually be the top sport in the US along with Basketball.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I don't know that academics is the dividing line here. It's more like schools that can and are willing to spend big money on football, grant exceptions, etc. and those that can't or won't.

Could be. But even so, this guy put us in a strange place. I mean, are we willing and able to spend with the UGAs and Alabamas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah - I think there is still a big market for football and still a supply of players who enjoy the sport and desire the educational advantages. I think those factors play to higher caliber academic schools’ advantages. But I think the mass-market factory model cannot sustain itself without the existence of a licensing agreeemnt (e.g. UofAlabama “licenses” their brand to a minor league football franchise that pays its players). I think the current movement for paying players coupled with the mounting evidence of head injuries will triangulate into player payments. The NCAA, as an amateur organization, can no longer sweep this under the rug. It will have to either license school/team names or lose its market to a minor league football league. If it’s the latter, GT will become enormously more relevant. In that scenario, CFB will resemble its 1910s/1930s self.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yeah - I think there is still a big market for football and still a supply of players who enjoy the sport and desire the educational advantages. I think those factors play to higher caliber academic schools’ advantages. But I think the mass-market factory model cannot sustain itself without the existence of a licensing agreeemnt (e.g. UofAlabama “licenses” their brand to a minor league football franchise that pays its players). I think the current movement for paying players coupled with the mounting evidence of head injuries will triangulate into player payments. The NCAA, as an amateur organization, can no longer sweep this under the rug. It will have to either license school/team names or lose its market to a minor league football league. If it’s the latter, GT will become enormously more relevant. In that scenario, CFB will resemble its 1910s/1930s self.
Or hopefully GT would become what they were 1904-1928:cigar:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I read an interesting take on this a few hours ago. Another view is that cable TV rights (e.g., ESPN) will go away by 2024 ... cable is dying and the technology shift is toward streaming ... which doesn't carry nearly the same payouts. In other words, AD's are going to have to put butts in the seats again. It's all going to be about "the product", so that means playing strong opponents that paying fans want to see (no more University of Louisiana - Lafayette). Coaches won't be able to deliver sub .500 performance and expect to last very long. Merchandising will play a larger role.

The theory continues that that there will be a 32 team FBS ... split into 4 conferences of 8 each ... and they will divide a much smaller rights pie. But because the pie is smaller, they may take home the same or more because they won't have to share it with 70-80 other teams.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure why you would have to do this. My friend had a GT scholarship and got paid to perform graduate research. Why is being paid to participate in a sport different in terms of being allowed to receive a scholarship? I don't see why the scholarships would cease to exist just because the players began being paid for their after school activities.

The school does not have charge out of state if it does not want to (or maybe it is controlled by the BOR?). Regardless, they can choose to include all athletes as in state if the state decides it wanted to.
I feel that the graduate research model could be a viable solution. Give the players tuition and a yearly stipend (paid by TV contracts or whatever) in the range of $20-35k based on a location's cost of living. Give some committee the ability to oversee cost of living justification so that schools in the middle of nowhere don't trump bigger city schools. Similarly to college football, university research is a multi billion dollar industry built on the backs of grad students working long hours for little compensation. Yeah, they would want (and probably deserve) a bigger slice of the pie too. But the opportunity to gain the education/degree is an investment in the future. The issue with the comparison is that graduate research leads to an inherently valuable PhD, while too many of these athletes are opting for or being pushed into worthless degrees. They have little fall back options if the NFL doesn't happen.

The alternative is to create a minor league and give high schoolers the option to go there or go to college. This is similar to how the NHL drafts and develops players from the OHL and NCAA. In the Minor League you'll get paid on a weekly/monthly basis and can get cut on those intervals, but you can get a decent income. You'll probably lose a lot of your 5* guys to the higher paying minor league and college football quality will suffer, but those that want an education or to be apart of a school (which will have a huge head start on facilities) will be more apparent. It might also lead to more parity when you take out the elite players. But who knows.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I read an interesting take on this a few hours ago. Another view is that cable TV rights (e.g., ESPN) will go away by 2024 ... cable is dying and the technology shift is toward streaming ... which doesn't carry nearly the same payouts. In other words, AD's are going to have to put butts in the seats again. It's all going to be about "the product", so that means playing strong opponents that paying fans want to see (no more University of Louisiana - Lafayette). Coaches won't be able to deliver sub .500 performance and expect to last very long. Merchandising will play a larger role.

The theory continues that that there will be a 32 team FBS ... split into 4 conferences of 8 each ... and they will divide a much smaller rights pie. But because the pie is smaller, they may take home the same or more because they won't have to share it with 70-80 other teams.
Where did you read this? I'm interested to take a look. I think this is likely for the reasons you quoted and because there are going to be less american foootball players due to injury/concussion concerns over time. 32 is a number of teams that the sport can keep alive.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Where did you read this? I'm interested to take a look. I think this is likely for the reasons you quoted and because there are going to be less american foootball players due to injury/concussion concerns over time. 32 is a number of teams that the sport can keep alive.

Unless GT is one of the 32, and I doubt they would be, I will probably not watch the games. If I wanted to watch 32 teams play football, the NFL is already available. I quit watching the NFL and other pro sports about a decade ago because of the ridiculous contracts and showboating; the “new” college football would probably end up being about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Unless GT is one of the 32, and I doubt they would be, I will probably not watch the games. If I wanted to watch 32 teams play football, the NFL is already available. I quit watching the NFL and other pro sports about a decade ago because of the ridiculous contracts and showboating; the “new” college football would probably end up being about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A four-conference, 32-team league, for argument’s sake, could look like this. It could be 40. It could be fewer.

Big North: PSU, OSU, Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, ND

South East: UF, UGA, Tennessee, SC, FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC

South West: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, TAMU, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mississippi State

West: Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Missouri, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think the market for "minor league football" is large enough to sustain a league. If the players on the field Thursday were named the Atlanta Legends and were playing against the Blacksburgh Legends I couldn't give two ****s about the game. The University ties to the teams is what makes NCAA football so valuable and believe this is often overlooked.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This is an interesting article.Would Tech go for the 2nd tier level? .I would say yes unless we had a prez and board that got some bigtime $ backing.The present powers/situation says -no.