The Next realignment

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The GT VT comparison is so weird. I get why people do it, I guess, but I don't think they are too similar. VT is the redneck school of VA. They do have the better engineering school than UVA, but no one is going to be impressed you went to VT.

I definitely don't mind comparing our recruiting ranking against theirs, but I strongly believe we have many more recruiting disadvantages than them. It just means we need to invest more and invest smarter.
VT is the UGAG of Virginia. I think they're similar to West Virginia.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
I say let the 20-25 “money” schools break off and have their semi-pro teams. And then have the rest REFUSE to play them. ~half the teams will have records under .500 and they won’t be able to fill their 100k stadiums.

Meanwhile, we’ll enjoy a competitive league, be near the top of the heap, etc in a conference with UVA, Duke, Vandy, SMU, Rice, etc... Could be lots of fun!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so I say pay the players, but include their tuition and food in the pay and thus tax it. Once you head down this road this will be the case. then the players will be saying....What I have to pay more in taxes than what I get paid.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It would be like GT was playing in the old D1AA. It would be the death of Georgia Tech football.

Yeah, Georgia Tech has won four national championships. I guess that would be the end of that.

And for those who say we won't win any more anyway, I would remind them that was the prevailing opinion in 1981, I'm sure. We ought to have too much pride to even entertain such notions as dropping down to a lower level. It's unthinkable. I would rather fight and LOSE than capitulate.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, Georgia Tech has won four national championships. I guess that would be the end of that.

And for those who say we won't win any more anyway, I would remind them that was the prevailing opinion in 1981, I'm sure. We ought to have too much pride to even entertain such notions as dropping down to a lower level. It's unthinkable. I would rather fight and LOSE than capitulate.
(y)

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
My idea for the woe is me college student athlete and the pros is to adopt the MLB model. ForNBA and NFL, if you think you are good enough, enter the draft. If you’re drafted, you can go pro or go to school. BUT, if you go to school, you won’t be able to enter the draft again until your 3rd year.

I suggest you watch any behind the scenes shows on the big programs. Trading with the Tide shown on espn in August is a prime example of how good D1 FBS players have it. You don’t hear of the D2, D3 or NAIA players complaining about lack of food or spending money or whatever.

If they do break into separate divisions, the government would have no choice but to start taxing the programs. See how long the pay at all cost division would last once all that money is taxed.:cigar:

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so I say pay the players, but include their tuition and food in the pay and thus tax it. Once you head down this road this will be the case. then the players will be saying....What I have to pay more in taxes than what I get paid.

That would really kill schools like Duke and Stanford, where tuition is higher than a cat's back. And, for public schools would you tax out-of-state players more, since they are getting an out-of-state tuition break?