The Next realignment

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
GT has to decide if it wants to spend the money to compete in the reality that is coming. If not..quit pretending.
If GT drops to that new proposed classification they can drop the capacity of BDS down to 30,000 because i don't think they attendance would ever exceed that. GT in that new classification would never have games that would be shown on TV.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If GT drops to that new proposed classification they can drop the capacity of BDS down to 30,000 because i don't think they attendance would ever exceed that. GT in that new classification would never have games that would be shown on TV.
You are correct on the tv part but I think there will probably be a streaming option available of the new "Div 1-AA" classification. I think so much of what Tech's football tradition is was built in a time drastically different from the reality college athletics (especially football) is currently in and where it is headed. Tech has to decide to play by today's rules or go play with people still holding to an older, albeit nobler, way of doing things.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I really believe it is a decision that has to be made:

1. Pony up big time (and add majors to our offerings) $$ to really compete against the factories OR
2. Consider what this article says, and we could be the dominant team inside an "academics first" conference with teams like Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, the military academies, etc.

I don't really care, but I don't want what I believe we are now, and I believe we are likely to remain - a team that cannot recruit well enough to consistently play with the top 10-15 teams in the country.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

1. Pony up big time (and add majors to our offerings) $$ to really compete against the factories OR
2. Consider what this article says, and we could be the dominant team inside an "academics first" conference with teams like Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, the military academies, etc.

I don't really care, but I don't want what I believe we are now, and I believe we are likely to remain - a team that cannot recruit well enough to consistently play with the top 10-15 teams in the country.

Not sure either of these outcomes are going to come to pass.

First, there are going to be fewer football players (most likely). So, it's probably inevitable that some schools need to reconsider what a football program means to them.

Second, there is going to be less money. Without the TV rights, conferences will need other revenue sources.

This reminds me a bit of the music industry. The money wasn't going to the artists, it was going to the recording companies. Now, artists make their money by touring ... I can see a day when schools make their money by actually filling a stadium with paying customers to watch good football games.

A few things would help ... put in size/weight restrictions to reduce damage, insist on academic progress and real reporting, remove the factors that promote unintended skewing in performance.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
A few things would help ... put in size/weight restrictions to reduce damage, insist on academic progress and real reporting, remove the factors that promote unintended skewing in performance.

This would help, to make it really happen though you have to have a ruling body or commissioner who actually has the ability to punish wrong doing and will do it equally across the board. The NCAA the way it is constructed right now is the most ineffective ruling body in the world of ruling bodies. They have no ability to enforce anything.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you!;) GT would lose my support if they dropped down to what would be the equivalent of the old D1AA(y)
I thought the discussion was about staying the same or going up.
Going up = better TV money , but still same recruiting issues = win 2 games a year against factory

Staying same equal less TV money.
Issues:
Would the teams in top just play each other? Travel $ up, boring, ,less regional interest . ,etc. Would the top teams pay the intermediate schools?

I for one would enjoy playing purdue, Vanderbilt, Duke, u ucf, usf, navy, etc.
if we dropped the crummy teams and factory teams., I would attend.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I thought the discussion was about staying the same or going up.
Going up = better TV money , but still same recruiting issues = win 2 games a year against factory

Staying same equal less TV money.
Issues:
Would the teams in top just play each other? Travel $ up, boring, ,less regional interest . ,etc. Would the top teams pay the intermediate schools?

I for one would enjoy playing purdue, Vanderbilt, Duke, u ucf, usf, navy, etc.
if we dropped the crummy teams and factory teams., I would attend.
I'm against a classification with Vanderbilt,Northwestern,Rice,Tulane,Duke,GT,Army,Navy and Air Force . To me that would be a modern D1AA and i couldn't keep supporting GT at that point because i think that would be flushing GT football history down the toilet

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
You are correct on the tv part but I think there will probably be a streaming option available of the new "Div 1-AA" classification. I think so much of what Tech's football tradition is was built in a time drastically different from the reality college athletics (especially football) is currently in and where it is headed. Tech has to decide to play by today's rules or go play with people still holding to an older, albeit nobler, way of doing things.

As I recall, CPJ was quite competitive in D 1-AA...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm against a classification with Vanderbilt,Northwestern,Rice,Tulane,Duke,GT,Army,Navy and Air Force . To me that would be a modern D1AA and i couldn't keep supporting GT at that point because i think that would be flushing GT football history down the toilet

Gt football legacy is circling the bowl.

I agree
If we schedule crap teams like rice, Tulane, northwestern , ( although they could give this team a run), of course I am against that

. I was thinking that there would be plenty of teams that didnt move up from acc, sec, plus UFC, USC, u of h for a pretty good though broader geographical conference.

Lets face it.
We are in the bottom quartile of acc.

If go up we only play the top of acc and sec , we will be the perinial doormat unless we get relief on courses of study and have a great qb.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we are probably only talking about 40 or so schools that end up competing in this "top" level if it ever comes to fruition. I bet the majority of the ACC stays intact and probably just picks up a couple of schools to take Clemson, FSU's spots.

It would be better to look at it as a few schools moving to a higher level and not us dropping to a lower one.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I don't think so. Over time, it's less TV money. I would
  • Have the NCAA negotiate ALL the conference media rights ... there is power in collective bargaining.
  • Distribute rights money equally but adjusted based on academic schedules - the factory schools get less than the academic schools. So for example, if Tech played Georgia, Tech would get twice the revenue because our SAT averages are twice those of the Dawgs. How's THAT for Student-Athlete?
  • Next, there should be "overhead" caps on all programs such that you can't hire 500 "analysts" or tutors. You get 10 coaches, 10 support staff, and 10 operations staff. That's it.
  • Next, you put in progress to graduate goals and limit players to 60 grants instead of 85. Walk on's with a B average or better can get paid even if they don't get a grant.
They need to harmonize the league. Not continue to skew it. Which is what they are doing.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
What will end football is lower middle class,middle class,upper middle class and upper class kids no longer playing football. The only ones in the future who will play football in the little leagues,parks and recreation,middle schools and high schools will be kids from the Lower Class and they will be playing because a football scholarship could be their only way to go to college. Football will die in the next 20 years because the level of play in college football and the NFL will go down because of lack of talent and because of that people will quit watching and football will become a niche sport.
I just don’t see it. Football drives the American sports world. It drives the media networks. The main sports media networks will get those contract again. It may be on a different proportion but it still will be the big networks regardless.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

If the BOR agrees, the school could possibly add majors. However, where do you propose the money come from? The school cannot provide any more money to athletics by regulation. The only way for athletics to get more money is from fans. If fans do not provide more money, then GT athletics will not have more money. The school cannot provide any more. The school endowment cannot provide any more. The student fees cannot provide any more. Only licensing, tickets, and donations can provide more money to athletics.

Also, if such a scenario was set up(athletic division and academic division) why do you think that GT would recruit at the level they do now? Why would the athletic division limit itself to 85 scholarships? Why would they even provide scholarships? They could just pay the players. If they aren't an academic division, why even make players attend school? They could become a minor league system for the NFL with only symbolic ties to the school. Imagine the problems GT would have in recruiting if athletes in the athletic division didn't even have to attend class. Imagine the problems any team in the academic division would have competing against the athletic division if the athletes in the athletic division didn't have a 20 hour per week limit and could practice 40-60 hours per week with the coaches.

I think at some point the athletes who sue the NCAA are going to win. The NCAA has been operating purely as a business for quite some time. The NCAA tournament is set up as a money grab. The CFP playoff format isn't set up to run a championship, it is set up to maximize profit. They have the weekly preliminary rankings solely to provide ESPN with content for advertisement. That content includes images and descriptions of "amateur" players. Everything they are doing is to maximize profit, not to run an amateur sports league. There are too many examples for the plaintiffs to show in a trial.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a pipe dream and will never happen. Many of the schools that would be paying money are public universities. I think you will have some tax payers complaining about this as well as they will not be able to pay just the football players. Yes there is a lot of money generated by football, but not enough to support the other programs and pay all the athletes. The only way this could work would be to allow bagmen/booster to pay the football players directly and to do it out in the open. I don’t think they want to open that can of worms. Allowing that, no telling how crazy things would get, plus Uncle Sam is going to want his cut. I think someone will challenge the NFL rule to enter the draft again. I think The timing is right that the NFL would lose. If a normal college player challenge it and not someone like MC, I think you could get some of the public behind it and it could be a Huge wave that I don’t think the NFL has the power to standup against. I think that is more likely than schools paying players.