The Next realignment

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Player compensation? Conferences decide how much? If you think recruiting is hard for GT right now, things would get much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True, but if college football split into athletics is king conferences and another group where academics is king, we could compete again. Might be considered a lesser division, but losing in a higher division isn’t very fun

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
True, but if college football split into athletics is king conferences and another group where academics is king, we could compete again. Might be considered a lesser division, but losing in a higher division isn’t very fun

I’m assuming we would continue in the current CFP format which would mean the winner of the academic group would probably be like the AAC...go undefeated like UCF and get overlooked for the big game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Change is scary.
Lots of thoughts But we will still be in Atlanta. Is the Prez involved in this NCAA idea? He's on some committee like this.
If they want to beat us up, will they pay us like we pay the teams we can beat?

Son played in d2 and besides the crappy facilities and the tugs, the games were fun and quality of play damn good.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
If you're going to pay players, what association do they actually have with the university? Will the NCAA still require them to go to class when being declared academically ineligible can cost a player lots of cash. Can you deny entry to this free market because someone's reading or writing skills aren't sufficient to get into college. Will be a race to the bottom academically, and I hope Tech doesn't get in it. I can see some Silicon Valley entrepreneur taking an existing diploma mill and dropping tons of cash for players. Bama's got deep pockets, but some multi-billionaire nerd could buy every player on their team tomorrow. Does anyone seriously think that Bama's players went there for any reason other than prep for the NFL payoff? Boone Pickens will for sure buy OK State a NC. Lots of oil money in that conference. Will players be able to change team each year if it's a free market? Think of the money thrown at 5 star high schoolers to get a commit. Better enjoy these last few seasons. I guess we all knew it would eventually come to this.

If there is an athletic and an academic league, going to be interesting to see who jumps where in the ACC. I think we can guess how Clemson, FSU, and VT will go. What choice does UNC and Miami make? I think the SEC will have some surprises since a lot of them know they won't have the money to compete - Missouri, Kentucky, South Carolina.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Except maybe for his alignment. He has GT in the “semi-pros” association, not in the academically-minded one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took note of this, too. The average fan or even sportswriter doesn't really get it, and lumps us in with Texas Tech and Virginia Tech.

They also put Georgia Southern in the academically-minded conference. As far as I can tell, they left Duke out entirely, as well. lol

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If you're going to pay players, what association do they actually have with the university? Will the NCAA still require them to go to class when being declared academically ineligible can cost a player lots of cash. Can you deny entry to this free market because someone's reading or writing skills aren't sufficient to get into college. Will be a race to the bottom academically, and I hope Tech doesn't get in it. I can see some Silicon Valley entrepreneur taking an existing diploma mill and dropping tons of cash for players. Bama's got deep pockets, but some multi-billionaire nerd could buy every player on their team tomorrow. Does anyone seriously think that Bama's players went there for any reason other than prep for the NFL payoff? Boone Pickens will for sure buy OK State a NC. Lots of oil money in that conference. Will players be able to change team each year if it's a free market? Think of the money thrown at 5 star high schoolers to get a commit. Better enjoy these last few seasons. I guess we all knew it would eventually come to this.

If there is an athletic and an academic league, going to be interesting to see who jumps where in the ACC. I think we can guess how Clemson, FSU, and VT will go. What choice does UNC and Miami make? I think the SEC will have some surprises since a lot of them know they won't have the money to compete - Missouri, Kentucky, South Carolina.
Vanderbilt would leave the SEC in a New York Minute for the new Classification

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I took note of this, too. The average fan or even sportswriter doesn't really get it, and lumps us in with Texas Tech and Virginia Tech.

I wonder if that says the average fan/sportswriter doesn't think as highly of our academics as we think they should, or that they think more highly of our athletics than we do?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if that says the average fan/sportswriter doesn't think as highly of our academics as we think they should, or that they think more highly of our athletics than we do?

Good question. Maybe more the latter, based on tradition and history. But then they put Stanford in with the academics, so maybe it is a little bit of both!