The Next realignment

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
On what do you base compensation? Sales? Profits? I expect the schools would spend every nickel and show no accounting profit.

All this nonsense does is slowly tighten a noose around college football that they have so far, evaded.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO, this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of - we have a pay for play football league - called the NFL. What purpose does this serve, other than to separate the haves from the have-nots even more? What is the logic? I'm not so naive to think that college ball is not big business and that many are upset that the kids are playing for free, but they are not - they are getting an opportunity to get a free education while they prepare for the NFL or other careers - something many people do not have the opportunity to have simply because they are small or not athletic enough to play at that level. I don't begrudge those who are given this opportunity, I enjoy watching them and am glad they are getting an education, but to pay them millions to come play at college just turns this into a professional league and not collegiate ball.

While we are on this subject, in what world do you quit or get fired from a job and get millions of dollars in payout? SO INSANE. And "just because that's what everyone else does" or "that's what it takes to get top coaches" is not a valid reason to me. I am a professional at my job (and while it may not be visible on the world's stage, I do add value to my company) and if quit - I get nothing. And while I've never been fired, if I am, why would I expect my company to pay me money to fire me?

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
The "free education" is often fraudulent, or at best utterly useless to getting a good career after the player is done. And before anyone says "well that's their choice", think about how many programs at UGA a kid with a 950 SAT could get through, before considering which ones their coaches pressure them into to maximize APR and practice time.

And even with the massive inflation of tuition/board costs these days, a full-ride scholarship is well below the true market value of the services they provide (see: coach salaries, bagmen, AAU basketball, etc).

Coaches get huge buyouts because they have leverage when negotiating their contracts. Your company's CEO would likely get a significant payout as well if they were fired. Negotiating severance packages for normal employees is often one of the points of collective bargaining as well.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The "free education" is often fraudulent, or at best utterly useless to getting a good career after the player is done. And before anyone says "well that's their choice", think about how many programs at UGA a kid with a 950 SAT could get through, before considering which ones their coaches pressure them into to maximize APR and practice time.

And even with the massive inflation of tuition/board costs these days, a full-ride scholarship is well below the true market value of the services they provide (see: coach salaries, bagmen, AAU basketball, etc).

Coaches get huge buyouts because they have leverage when negotiating their contracts. Your company's CEO would likely get a significant payout as well if they were fired. Negotiating severance packages for normal employees is often one of the points of collective bargaining as well.

A division of a publicly held company generating $100M in revenue would pay a CEO about $250K plus bonus (usually a third) and equity.

Not $32M as in Auburn’s case.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Can't see this really happening and agree it would not be a good thing for college football in general.
IMO, two things need to happen,
1) The NCAA needs to put a cap on program spending ... and strictly enforce it.
2) The NFL needs to start a minor-league football league.
As a player from one of the football factories said a few years ago (forget who it was, it may have been LSU or Oklahoma State) ... we are not here to play school, we are here to play football !!

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
True, but if college football split into athletics is king conferences and another group where academics is king, we could compete again. Might be considered a lesser division, but losing in a higher division isn’t very fun

Wonder which Stanford and ND would play in? Which one would have played in Before 2015?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Can't see this really happening and agree it would not be a good thing for college football in general.
As a player from one of the football factories said a few years ago (forget who it was, it may have been LSU or Oklahoma State) ... we are not here to play school, we are here to play football !!
Ohio State. It made me so mad I'll never forget it.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
True, but if college football split into athletics is king conferences and another group where academics is king, we could compete again. Might be considered a lesser division, but losing in a higher division isn’t very fun
If Tech dropped to the academic division ( since they would not be able to afford paying the players) you would probably not be interested in going to games after a few years of playing BG/Syracuse/WF/Duke etc: These games would not be televised either.

Deleted member 2897

The funny thing is that schools like Duke are up to their armpits in an FBI investigation right now. Yea its basketball, but I'm not sure there is a firewall there. But anyway Duke has the ACCs 2nd or 3rd largest staff - they're spending a lot of money.

People often times compare us to Virginia Tech when other than our name we actually have quite little in common. Virginia Tech, and other good schools, actually have lots of places they can hide athletes. We don't. They can take all kinds of players that can't gain admission here. My guess is most of the schools who would call themselves academic minded wouldn't actually fit the bill the way you would expect them too.

There are no easy answers.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Cardele Jones Ohio st

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If Tech dropped to the academic division ( since they would not be able to afford paying the players) you would probably not be interested in going to games after a few years of playing BG/Syracuse/WF/Duke etc: These games would not be televised either.
It would be like GT was playing in the old D1AA. It would be the death of Georgia Tech football.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The funny thing is that schools like Duke are up to their armpits in an FBI investigation right now. Yea its basketball, but I'm not sure there is a firewall there. But anyway Duke has the ACCs 2nd or 3rd largest staff - they're spending a lot of money.

People often times compare us to Virginia Tech when other than our name we actually have quite little in common. Virginia Tech, and other good schools, actually have lots of places they can hide athletes. We don't. They can take all kinds of players that can't gain admission here. My guess is most of the schools who would call themselves academic minded wouldn't actually fit the bill the way you would expect them too.

There are no easy answers.
The GT VT comparison is so weird. I get why people do it, I guess, but I don't think they are too similar. VT is the redneck school of VA. They do have the better engineering school than UVA, but no one is going to be impressed you went to VT.

I definitely don't mind comparing our recruiting ranking against theirs, but I strongly believe we have many more recruiting disadvantages than them. It just means we need to invest more and invest smarter.