The Next realignment

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t see them being ruled as employees. If football players are employees then what about the band members, cheerleaders etc. What about club sports. I think there is an overvaluation of the athletes. What I mean, is does it really matter who is playing for GT, you still going to watch GT football. If all the school went to traditional students we are still going to watch. The other thing is that the players aren’t going to strike.

Are there rules set up for band members that limit them from transferring to another school? Do band members get convinced to attend a certain school because that is their only chance at becoming a professional musician? Are college bands a collection of people who enjoy doing what they are doing enough to put their own money into it, or are they run from the top by a central organization whose rules are set up more to make money than to regulate an amateur organization?

I agree that I will be watching GT sports no matter who is playing. The problem I see is that the NCAA has been far from an amateur league authority.(at least regarding football and basketball) They have made rules, and they run as a professional league. As I pointed out before, the CFP selection show has absolutely nothing to do with an amateur league. It is purely something set up to maximize revenue. The NCAA currently cares more about money and control of players than about athletic institutions competing against each other athletically. That is all that the plaintiffs will have to prove.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we are there yet. But TStan CANNOT make a crappy football coach hire. He can't. He has to get the fanbase back.

It's apples and oranges I know, but my HS did it. They were just about dead last and the alumni got together and asked, "Who is the best HS coach in the country available today?" And they went and hired him. Next thing you know, we were playing in state championship. Alabama did something similar with Saban.

We have to find the best football coach available and hire him ... not take the safe "He's got a really good personality. And his choice in loafers is really good too." We need a football guy. Someone who loves it, lives it and wins at it.
Baylor same thing - (3 wins in big 12 inb5 years) - with Briles- but ad needs to keep a tight hold on reigns.
Fired all the soph and above students and held freshman only televised Hill promoted rally where he gave football team to them. Then went around central tex and asked for support

Guy could promote baylor football.

MARKETING STARTS W THE GT COACH.

Selling the alumni is a big part of a coaches job! The imbattled FSU coach still calls his big donors every sunday and has a frank discussion.

Sales has been disdained at gtaa.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Baylor same thing - (3 wins in big 12 inb5 years) - with Briles- but ad needs to keep a tight hold on reigns. Fired all the soph and above students and held freshman only televised Hill prompted rally where he gave football team to them. Then went around central tex and asked for support
Guy could promote baylor football. MARKETING STARTS W THE GT COACH.
Selling the alumni is a big part of a coaches job! The imbattled FSU coach still calls his big donors every sunday and has a frank discussion.
The Briles name is nuclear toxic right now and i don't think TStan would ever consider hiring Art Briles or his son Kendal. Two head coaches i think TStan will be talking to are App State's Scott Satterfield and Jason Candle of Toledo.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
MARKETING STARTS W THE GT COACH.

Couldn't agree more with this. Dodd said it is the Head Coach's job to fill the stadium.

Why we don't pep rallies at Avalon at night is beyond me. It's perfect exposure to a target demo as well lots of Tech alumni in the area. It's almost as if we'd prefer to just be invisible. Perception, a critical part of marketing, starts with Exposure. If no one sees your message (we have a great football tradition, come join it!), you have zero chance of changing minds.

I've been in Atlanta for nearly 39 years. And I have never once seen a Tech team function at a local establishment. You see them all the time in Athens. (Granted it's smaller, but still ... zero?)

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia Tech in the FCS would completely destroy any continuing fan support for the Jackets. Sure - 15K or so will show up ... but the vast majority of alumni will find other teams to support. And then ... Tech will have a real problem maintaining it's alumni population together. I attended post grad at Emory and GSU and Tech does a far better job engaging alumni with watch parties .... all that goes away when Tech becomes irrelevant in D1.
Emory has pretty good homecoming concert along with free food and drinks annually. This year's performer is Keri Hilson but prior years had pretty good acts. Indigo Girls performed recently but unfortunately it was during a monsoon.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Emory has pretty good homecoming concert along with free food and drinks annually. This year's performer is Keri Hilson but prior years had pretty good acts. Indigo Girls performed recently but unfortunately it was during a monsoon.

It's amazing to me with all the Tech alumni in positions of power, how badly our tailgating blows. TStan should hire a Tailgating Experience Leader who's job it is to make Game Day ... the Day. I've been superimpressed with both Ole Miss and UT and how well it is all organized. Bring the tailgate tents inside BDS to the lower North and get all the Greeks to host their game parties there ... that alone would add 2,000 students. And create a great game day experience to boot.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The Briles name is nuclear toxic right now and i don't think TStan would ever consider hiring Art Briles or his son Kendal. Two head coaches i think TStan will be talking to are App State's Scott Satterfield and Jason Candle of Toledo.

Please Stop inferring I want Brilles.

I am for MARKETING like him.

I am for ucf coach Josh H.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If the BOR agrees, the school could possibly add majors. However, where do you propose the money come from? The school cannot provide any more money to athletics by regulation. The only way for athletics to get more money is from fans. If fans do not provide more money, then GT athletics will not have more money. The school cannot provide any more. The school endowment cannot provide any more. The student fees cannot provide any more. Only licensing, tickets, and donations can provide more money to athletics.

Also, if such a scenario was set up(athletic division and academic division) why do you think that GT would recruit at the level they do now? Why would the athletic division limit itself to 85 scholarships? Why would they even provide scholarships? They could just pay the players. If they aren't an academic division, why even make players attend school? They could become a minor league system for the NFL with only symbolic ties to the school. Imagine the problems GT would have in recruiting if athletes in the athletic division didn't even have to attend class. Imagine the problems any team in the academic division would have competing against the athletic division if the athletes in the athletic division didn't have a 20 hour per week limit and could practice 40-60 hours per week with the coaches.

I think at some point the athletes who sue the NCAA are going to win. The NCAA has been operating purely as a business for quite some time. The NCAA tournament is set up as a money grab. The CFP playoff format isn't set up to run a championship, it is set up to maximize profit. They have the weekly preliminary rankings solely to provide ESPN with content for advertisement. That content includes images and descriptions of "amateur" players. Everything they are doing is to maximize profit, not to run an amateur sports league. There are too many examples for the plaintiffs to show in a trial.

Very thoughtful post. I am not proposing that GT fans/alumni can "pony up" enough of the $$. I was just proposing that it is the ONLY way to keep up or try to keep up with the top programs. I do not believe with our dwindling fan base and older, football-obsessed alumni slowly dying away that we can actually do the #1 on the original post. I am genuinely afraid that the scenario you describe, which is totally plausible, might end GT football at some time in the future.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I was just proposing that it is the ONLY way to keep up or try to keep up with the top programs.

Tech has the ability to generate far more money than they do today. For example, if you look at someone like FSU ... they generate far more revenue from the Seminole Club than they do through ticket sales. GT has no comparable booster organization whose purpose is to raise money ... so we depend on a few well-heeled guys to help, but otherwise, do little in real grass-roots fundraising. Development (aka, fundraising) has been dramatically improved under Peterson, but there are still walls between the Alumni Association databases, school databases, and GTAA ones. Peterson could, IF HE WANTED, facilitate the harmonization of this. (I don't think he does.)

Also, Bill Battle ... former AD and ceo of the NCAA Licensing, opined that Tech alumni have the highest dollar purchases per fan of the licenses they manage. This is why merchandising is so important ... give the fans the good stuff and often ... and Tech will buy it. A lot of it. But not the crap that's been vomited out the last few decades.

So much to do, so little time ...