The most disappointing stat from yesterday was...attendance.

Animal02

Banned
LOL

I'm sorry, but I have to admit that I was still in grade school the last time I put my fingers in my ears saying, "Blah blah blah I'm not listening." I'm really surprised to encounter such a childish response on internet forum.

OK, that was rude, and I apologize, but you really don't seem to get what I'm saying.

Every year we try and schedule 1 Pwr5 (formerly BCS AQ) conference opponent, 1 Gp5 opponent and 1 FCS in addition to georgie for our out of conference slate. IIUC, we scheduled UCF and USF to home and home because Home and Home with Pwr5 SEC schools were cancelled. Your suggestion that we made the decision "to go after wins rather than quality opponents" seems to be an assertion based on air.

The fact is that the SEC schools you mention are typically only scheduling 1 ooc pwr5, two often low-level gp of 5 and an FCS. If people want to see us play these other teams, have them contact these other schools and tell them to put on their big-boy pants and schedule two pwr5 ooc every year. Blaming GT because the SEC teams don't want to go into OOC Pwr5 stadiums and be a true away team on a non-neutral field as if it's GT's fault does come off as childish.
These same ones demanding that we play all SEC out of conference will be the same ones whining the loudest about not making a bowl game every year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You underestimate how hard it is to schedule a school like Auburn or Tennessee. They need to be scheduled sometimes a decade in advance and then not be backed out of (looking at bama).
You underestimate how hard it is to schedule a school like Auburn or Tennessee. They need to be scheduled sometimes a decade in advance and then not be backed out of (looking at bama).

True dat. I meant in a saner world it might be possible. I am one of the old timers who remember the days when we played Auburn and Tennessee. It was something to see.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
A LONG time ago, my dad had a business trip to New Orleans and took me to a Tech / LSU game, at night mind you. For a 8 or 9 year old, it was a shocking experience. I was used to sold out crowds at Grant Field who were courteous and civilized but damn Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night is one crazy place. They were throwing chicken bones, beer and Christ alone knows what else at our players. They were screaming from the get go. No matter, Tech kicked their sorry Cajun asses right out of their own stadium. To answer your question, under no circumstances would I take a child to any of those places now. I don't think I would be too thrilled with Lane Stadium either. It's funny but Florida Field is just as loud and just as crowded as UGA or LSU but not once did I see people being harassed or felt unsafe in all the years I went to Gainesville with a friend. Come to think of it, I don't think I would have any problems with going to Clemson for that matter.

My aunt was nice enough to take me to the GA-FL game in 1983 and I was pretty young. Kevin Butler kicked a field goal and the mutts won 10-9. Things got pretty rowdy afterwards and I remember my aunt walking me out - one hand on my arm and one hand across my eyes. I still don’t know what was going on and haven’t thought about in years...until you told your story. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
These same ones demanding that we play all SEC out of conference will be the same ones whining the loudest about not making a bowl game every year.

Not from me you won't. I think we'd we'd generate more positive buzz for ourselves in the Atlanta market than playing Bowling Green or Alcorn State.

This is my opinion.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
My aunt was nice enough to take me to the GA-FL game in 1983 and I was pretty young. Kevin Butler kicked a field goal and the mutts won 10-9. Things got pretty rowdy afterwards and I remember my aunt walking me out - one hand on my arm and one hand across my eyes. I still don’t know what was going on and haven’t thought about in years...until you told your story. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You will note that your aunt was good enough to shield your innocent eyes from the trash that is normally at a UGA - Florida game in Jacksonville. It is not known as the "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" for nothing and it was worse, much worse, in the 1980s than later when the Jacksonville police started to crack down a little bit. Another story. I was at Florida Field for a game during the time when it briefly became fashionable to rush the field after the game and take down the goal posts. The Florida authorities warned the crowd not to try this and backed it up with moving horses and dogs around the hedges lining Florida Field. Some young man impressively to my mind jumped clear over the hedge and was trying to entice a crowd of students to follow him on the field. Alas, a German Shepard did not take kindly to his antics and hauled his *** down within a few yards of his feat. Point is, you can keep a crowd under control if you are willing to do what it takes. Some people are just too hard headed or drunk to be reasoned with.

Dirty Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
It's interesting to me how may people buy season tickets just because they support "Stansbury's vision". Despite living in Seattle for three years, I have maintained season tickets. This was the first season I did not renew specifically because I think Stansbury has not been heading in positive directions. To each their own I suppose. I still plan to attend at least one game this season, but no decision Stansbury has made has led to me feeling we were in good hands.

We all have different ideas for Techs direction. I think Todd’s is the best since DRad. My opinion, which isn’t popular amongst the rosy glasses

Deleted member 2897

I still consider him rather new in the job. That gives him plenty of time to change my mind. He hasn't doe anything to instill confidence in me yet. That doesn't mean I think he cannot. I am not anti Stansbury, I am just not his fan yet.

Branding, uniform supplier, locker room, weight room, edge building, capital campaign, flex tickets. Actually giving a crap about sports. I could go on and on. I could see people saying it’s early, but I can’t fathom a position that he’s not moving us forward.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You're right. You are rude. And arrogant.

Tech has downshifted its schedule. Sorry. I'm older than you and I've watched if for 40 years. I love Tech and a STH. And it is my opinion (read that again ... it is MY OPINION) that Tech does not schedule what it is capable of scheduling. I believe based on what I know that Tech made a a conscious decision in regards to scheduling that is not good for the program.

It is a fact that scheduling weak opponents (hello, Alcorn State) that have no fan base to speak of in these parts ... does not lead to fuller stadia. These decisions were made years ago and I hope they are changed. Again, it is my opinion, that Tech would be in a far stronger position in Georgia to be in the same consideration set as ... Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida. Being in the ACC probably suits us, but the rivals are 6 hours away which pretty much eliminates a lot, if not all, local kids.

If you have facts, bring 'em. Otherwise, you can kiss my backside.

I was rude hoping that rudeness would get a hearing that politeness did not.

You recall that my earlier post expressed appreciation for you and agreement that better home games would draw better fans.

The FACTS (for the third time) are that the SEC teams you mention aren't scheduling a lot of home and home WITH ANYBODY. Their typically playing only one Pwr5 out of conference a year, and on a neutral site when they can get it. And Bama gets it almost every year.

Like it or not, their fans apparently don't whine about playing 2 Grp5 and 1FCS every year because that's 3 more home games for them to enjoy.

Like it or not, we're scheduling beggars, and we can't be choosers.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Branding, uniform supplier, locker room, weight room, edge building, capital campaign, flex tickets. Actually giving a crap about sports. I could go on and on. I could see people saying it’s early, but I can’t fathom a position that he’s not moving us forward.
Branding - I'd say verdict out. Have we seen a noticeable improvement? (this current thread says not yet). Basketball seems to be on an upswing though.
uniform supplier - Russel was leaving the business. No matter who the AD was, we were switching. I don't personally care if it was Adidas, Nike, or Under Armor. I personally think the Adidas contract was very weak. I give Stansbury the benefit of the doubt here because we had almost no leverage. I can't see this as a positive in his favor, however.
locker room, weight room - If Stansbury is the reason an anonymous donor came forward and help pay for it, then awesome.
edge building - Not sure I agree that new buildings equates to positive program direction (DRad would win that hands down).
capital campaign - As AD, it is his job to secure money. I expect this, and I am glad he has a plan. If this is a success, I would count that as a positive direction.
flex tickets - those have been available before

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I was rude hoping that rudeness would get a hearing that politeness did not.

You recall that my earlier post expressed appreciation for you and agreement that better home games would draw better fans.

The FACTS (for the third time) are that the SEC teams you mention aren't scheduling a lot of home and home WITH ANYBODY. Their typically playing only one Pwr5 out of conference a year, and on a neutral site when they can get it. And Bama gets it almost every year.

Like it or not, their fans apparently don't whine about playing 2 Grp5 and 1FCS every year because that's 3 more home games for them to enjoy.

Like it or not, we're scheduling beggars, and we can't be choosers.

While you have a point, we are not Monsters of the Midway. If we are truly beggars, we need to stop whining about filling BDS. We aren’t going to do it with dreck that has to drive 6 hours.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I really don't think any one is afraid to play us. That is a fantasy we have created in our own minds, IMO. I also believe the nightmare to prepare for was true maybe 7-8 years ago, but that ship has sailed too. We are different, but hardly a nightmare, IMO. I think it goes more to ticket sales, or lack thereof. Our fans have not shown that they travel very well, probably comparable to the FCS schools that they already play with minimal to no chance of losing to them.
Tech fans don't travel to meaningless bowl games against nobody opponents. We do travel to Clemson, UGA and I guarantee we would sell out our ticket allotment if we were playing at Auburn, UT or Bama.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Although I will continue to be a loyal Tech fan and season ticket holder, I will be honest and tell you I am nervous about the future.

The psychology of fandom is built on a sense of shared experience and belonging. Excitement is contagious and right now ALL of the excitement belongs to the dwags. They already have a huge alumni and fan base and that cultivates even more, because most people want to be part of something popular. Even their color scheme is exciting....red is the color of the sports car you want. Ours is the color of your mom's minivan.

We have had a few shots in the past 30 years to start to turn the tide and pull this thing more even....and we have fumbled every time. I am very worried that our last, best opportunity has passed.

The people that we need to build and grow a fanbase are doing other things rather than going to Tech games. They are wearing red jerseys,hanging out with their friends and neighbors who are also wearing red. They bark, and watch the dwags on the TV.
Its the early 80's all over again. A grim grim time to be a Tech fan. Took alot of courage to go to church on Sundays.