The most disappointing stat from yesterday was...attendance.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Do you or would you fly or drive into Atlanta from Milwaukee every game? If so you are the super fan....and either rich, going broke, both?, and maybe crazy.

I don’t criticize any out of state fans (or those more than a couple hours drive away) for not attending. But if you live within a two hour drive, and never attend, you are probably part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

I think crappy gameday crowds are the biggest negative in recruiting. Bigger than academics and bigger than facilities.

I understand people have commitments and busy lives. I’m not saying every fan should be at every game. But you should be at some or don’t complain about results or mediocrity (unless you are big time donater).

But as a fan base, we suck. We suck by not showing up. We suck with a lack of excitement, noise, etc. when we do show up. We might average one good crowd a year. But it better be a big game and at night or it ain’t happening.
Yes. Drop the mic.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
<sigh> local tv and radio does pay the bills, it is ESPN and the acc network. Having the extra game is a better payoff than filling an extra 10k seats. People are making emotional arguments, not fiscal ones.
How does the math work out? Not that I can't try to figure it out myself, but this has been tossed around so much that it seems like someone already did the math. I'm genuinely curious.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Its the early 80's all over again. A grim grim time to be a Tech fan. Took alot of courage to go to church on Sundays.

I would not go that far. The early 80s were just about the low point in Tech athletics although the 1930s is pretty close. Grim to be sure. Whatever faults Bill Curry had, and there were a few, he had the courage and fortitude to take on a job most coaches of that era would have dismissed as a lost cause. The facilities were just about the worst in what was known then, I think, as Division I. Absolutely no depth on either side of the ball and dismal recruiting going back to the end of Pepper's time. Frankly, there was serious discussion about dropping football from an administration even more hostile to athletics than the current one if you can imagine such a thing.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree with you, we have had a top 10 SOS the last number of years, why do we need an even harder schedule to increase attendance?

Because you need local support.

I’d love nothing more than to see us renew some of our old rivalries, with Tenn and Auburn in particular, on a regular basis.

But our schedule is every bit as difficult as any team in the country. Make it harder and we will average even fewer wins.

If we did schedule more big OOC games I don’t think it would do much to increase local support. Local support goes to the mutts and that ain’t gonna change in my lifetime and likely not in my kids’ lifetimes. Sidewalk fans? Majority again go toward the mutts.

Only winning at a high level consistently and beating the mutts at least half the time will boost attendance. Our cowardly fan base that’s too embarrassed to attend church as a tech fan doesn’t have the stones to show support unless we are obviously out performing the mutts.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Its the early 80's all over again. A grim grim time to be a Tech fan. Took alot of courage to go to church on Sundays.
Surly this is TIC.
Ya'll, it was a boring game. There was no fan interest in playing Alcorn State. The AD was at the game. If the AD has any sense, which I think he does, Tech will be looking for better opponents in the future for the opener. He saw the crowd. He knows the opponent presented no fan interest. I have confidence he will get this corrected.

Our attendance for our season opener was 39,719. I’m not sure if this is the actual attendance or it is the number of tickets sold. Based on the large swaths of empty seats, I believe it is the latter and not the former. The capacity of Wallace Wade Stadium, where Duke plays, is 40,004. We wouldn’t have filled Duke’s Stadium! Why aren’t people coming to the games? For the people that do come, why do so many people come in so late? We want to see our athlete’s best effort and I have to think that the athletes would like to see a better effort from us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you want to know the real reason i think ? I have been a die hard tech fan my whole life and was around the program when my uncle played in the 90s. There is not much excitement for people that don't follow like it's a religion. The perception of tech football right now is boring. If you were to ask 10,000 outside of Georgia on their opinion of the offense, you would probably get something negative. Second, we don't win on a consistent basis.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For our FCS opponent, we have frequently been playing HBCU like Alcorn State and Jacksonville State which I think is intentional.

It is typically not good for our team imo, barely working out our starters. However, there are a lot of HBCU graduates in Atlanta; it gives their players a big stage; and gives their programs a relatively big check. We're the only Power5 team in Atlanta.

It may be more politic for GT to exploit it for publicity. HBCU day at GT. We don't do it that way.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think they will add a 12th.

I like ND being on the schedule - lots of TV

Also UCF and USF. Good teams and in good recruiting area. I would like to make this a long term game. I know hurricanes!

But not temple, bowling green or Colorado.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Nice and kudos!! Okay now I’m super curious. Do you drive in or fly in and from how far?

And can I fly with you to our playoff games this year? :D
LOL!! No I was agreeing with your post and suggesting that you should drop the mic. You said exactly what I was thinking. My bad.

It's a 4.5 hour drive for me, and I stay with friends. I consider myself lucky to be able to go to all the home games. When friends ask me if I go to the road games too, I remind them that all the home games are road games for me. Unless we're playing at Doak Campbell.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Do you want to know the real reason i think ? I have been a die hard tech fan my whole life and was around the program when my uncle played in the 90s. There is not much excitement for people that don't follow like it's a religion. The perception of tech football right now is boring. If you were to ask 10,000 outside of Georgia on their opinion of the offense, you would probably get something negative. Second, we don't win on a consistent basis.
I talked to an Auburn grad this weekend and he said he LOVES watching Georgia Tech play and wishes more teams ran the option like we do.