The most disappointing stat from yesterday was...attendance.

Animal02

Banned
Winner! Tech gets little notice from our local TV & radio outlets as it is. Paying Alcorn $375 K to play us and lose doesn't move the needle either. Play legit P5 teams that football fans will pay to see. Thanking you in advance Mr. Stansbury.
<sigh> local tv and radio does pay the bills, it is ESPN and the acc network. Having the extra game is a better payoff than filling an extra 10k seats. People are making emotional arguments, not fiscal ones.

Animal02

Banned
But most big schools play small schools for tune up games. Georgia played Austin Peay last week, Auburn is playing Alabama State this week, and Alabama is playing Arkansas State this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They all do because it makes financial sense. Having the cupcake and gettin the extra home game every other year, as well as not traveling, makes the payoff to the opposing school worth it.

The only way it will change is if the playoff rules don’t count a win over a FCS school.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Another hurdle we have to climb is that Tech Fund is no longer tax deductible. So tickets in those sections skyrocketed in cost this year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
They all do because it makes financial sense. Having the cupcake and gettin the extra home game every other year, as well as not traveling, makes the payoff to the opposing school worth it.

The only way it will change is if the playoff rules don’t count a win over a FCS school.

It’s true, but it’s short term thinking. Tech needs excitement. And you don’t get excited playing Pearl River Community College.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It’s true, but it’s short term thinking. Tech needs excitement. And you don’t get excited playing Pearl River Community College.

I appreciate you, and I agree that from a fan standpoint, getting the best competition into our stadium draws bigger crowds and adds to the excitement.

However, your approach to the topic seems to be that (1) that's the only issue to be considered and (2) that scheduling whoever we want is just as simple as picking up the phone. As, I pointed-out before, the reality is that Alabama and Auburn have as a rule only scheduled one ooc pwr5 opponent a year. For Alabama, it's typically a paying gig at a neutral site.

It's not like Auburn and Alabama are going around playing random Pwr5 teams in their stadiums.

So, we need to built excitement by being exciting and winning games imo.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate you, and I agree that from a fan standpoint, getting the best competition into our stadium draws bigger crowds and adds to the excitement.

However, your approach to the topic seems to be that (1) that's the only issue to be considered and (2) that scheduling whoever we want is just as simple as picking up the phone. As, I pointed-out before, the reality is that Alabama and Auburn have as a rule only scheduled one ooc pwr5 opponent a year. For Alabama, it's typically a paying gig at a neutral site.

It's not like Auburn and Alabama are going around playing random Pwr5 teams in their stadiums.

So, we need to built excitement by being exciting and winning games imo.

Thanks. I’m well aware these are built years in advance. That’s why I think it was a mistake to go after wins rather than quality opponents. People want to see us play their friends and neighbors.

Drive through any neighborhood in Newman. Or Lagrange. Or Peachtree City. You’ll see Auburn,UT, Bama, UGA and Tech banners.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Right. You won’t see him or anybody else back up their assertion with an actual quote from CPJ - because it doesn’t exist.

Coach Johnson saying "We will never compete for a national championship"? Coach Johnson is ornery, cantankerous, honest to a fault, perfectionist, snarling at times, and does not give off feel good vibes but accepting of the status quo is most definitely not one of the characteristics I would associate with him. It is true that good ole Dave Braine did say something along those lines or some such saying a 7 win season was about all we could aspire to, and it is likewise true that the Georgia Tech administration is not supportive of the football program, but nah, unless presented with certified video evidence there is no way, not no how that Paul Johnson would say such a thing. I CAN imagine him saying any number of less than encouraging things to the media when he is in one of his more surly moods but that is altogether a horse of a different color.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. I’m well aware these are built years in advance. That’s why I think it was a mistake to go after wins rather than quality opponents. People want to see us play their friends and neighbors.

Drive through any neighborhood in Newman. Or Lagrange. Or Peachtree City. You’ll see Auburn,UT, Bama, UGA and Tech banners.

If we are going to play an FCS team let's play one that is probably going to bring some people. Jacksonville State brought a pretty good crowd as did Mercer. Why not play Georgia Southern more often? Want to really move the needle on excitement and fill up Grant Field? Play Auburn or Tennessee. Regardless of how good or how bad those teams are both their fans and ours will get excited about playing.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It's interesting to me how may people buy season tickets just because they support "Stansbury's vision". Despite living in Seattle for three years, I have maintained season tickets. This was the first season I did not renew specifically because I think Stansbury has not been heading in positive directions. To each their own I suppose. I still plan to attend at least one game this season, but no decision Stansbury has made has led to me feeling we were in good hands.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

LOL

I'm sorry, but I have to admit that I was still in grade school the last time I put my fingers in my ears saying, "Blah blah blah I'm not listening." I'm really surprised to encounter such a childish response on internet forum.

OK, that was rude, and I apologize, but you really don't seem to get what I'm saying.

Every year we try and schedule 1 Pwr5 (formerly BCS AQ) conference opponent, 1 Gp5 opponent and 1 FCS in addition to georgie for our out of conference slate. IIUC, we scheduled UCF and USF to home and home because Home and Home with Pwr5 SEC schools were cancelled. Your suggestion that we made the decision "to go after wins rather than quality opponents" seems to be an assertion based on air.

The fact is that the SEC schools you mention are typically only scheduling 1 ooc pwr5, two often low-level gp of 5 and an FCS. If people want to see us play these other teams, have them contact these other schools and tell them to put on their big-boy pants and schedule two pwr5 ooc every year. Blaming GT because the SEC teams don't want to go into OOC Pwr5 stadiums and be a true away team on a non-neutral field as if it's GT's fault does come off as childish.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If we are going to play an FCS team let's play one that is probably going to bring some people. Jacksonville State brought a pretty good crowd as did Mercer. Why not play Georgia Southern more often? Want to really move the needle on excitement and fill up Grant Field? Play Auburn or Tennessee. Regardless of how good or how bad those teams are both their fans and ours will get excited about playing.
You underestimate how hard it is to schedule a school like Auburn or Tennessee. They need to be scheduled sometimes a decade in advance and then not be backed out of (looking at bama).

Deleted member 2897

It's interesting to me how may people buy season tickets just because they support "Stansbury's vision". Despite living in Seattle for three years, I have maintained season tickets. This was the first season I did not renew specifically because I think Stansbury has not been heading in positive directions. To each their own I suppose. I still plan to attend at least one game this season, but no decision Stansbury has made has led to me feeling we were in good hands.

Holy crap! Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
LOL

I'm sorry, but I have to admit that I was still in grade school the last time I put my fingers in my ears saying, "Blah blah blah I'm not listening." I'm really surprised to encounter such a childish response on internet forum.

OK, that was rude, and I apologize, but you really don't seem to get what I'm saying.

Every year we try and schedule 1 Pwr5 (formerly BCS AQ) conference opponent, 1 Gp5 opponent and 1 FCS in addition to georgie for our out of conference slate. IIUC, we scheduled UCF and USF to home and home because Home and Home with Pwr5 SEC schools were cancelled. Your suggestion that we made the decision "to go after wins rather than quality opponents" seems to be an assertion based on air.

The fact is that the SEC schools you mention are typically only scheduling 1 ooc pwr5, two often low-level gp of 5 and an FCS. If people want to see us play these other teams, have them contact these other schools and tell them to put on their big-boy pants and schedule two pwr5 ooc every year. Blaming GT because the SEC teams don't want to go into OOC Pwr5 stadiums and be a true away team on a non-neutral field as if it's GT's fault does come off as childish.

You're right. You are rude. And arrogant.

Tech has downshifted its schedule. Sorry. I'm older than you and I've watched if for 40 years. I love Tech and a STH. And it is my opinion (read that again ... it is MY OPINION) that Tech does not schedule what it is capable of scheduling. I believe based on what I know that Tech made a a conscious decision in regards to scheduling that is not good for the program.

It is a fact that scheduling weak opponents (hello, Alcorn State) that have no fan base to speak of in these parts ... does not lead to fuller stadia. These decisions were made years ago and I hope they are changed. Again, it is my opinion, that Tech would be in a far stronger position in Georgia to be in the same consideration set as ... Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida. Being in the ACC probably suits us, but the rivals are 6 hours away which pretty much eliminates a lot, if not all, local kids.

If you have facts, bring 'em. Otherwise, you can kiss my backside.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s neat that we have a family atmosphere at BDS even though I don’t have kids. If I did, I would bring them to the game but would you bring your kids to a LSU or Miami game? UGA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A LONG time ago, my dad had a business trip to New Orleans and took me to a Tech / LSU game, at night mind you. For a 8 or 9 year old, it was a shocking experience. I was used to sold out crowds at Grant Field who were courteous and civilized but damn Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night is one crazy place. They were throwing chicken bones, beer and Christ alone knows what else at our players. They were screaming from the get go. No matter, Tech kicked their sorry Cajun asses right out of their own stadium. To answer your question, under no circumstances would I take a child to any of those places now. I don't think I would be too thrilled with Lane Stadium either. It's funny but Florida Field is just as loud and just as crowded as UGA or LSU but not once did I see people being harassed or felt unsafe in all the years I went to Gainesville with a friend. Come to think of it, I don't think I would have any problems with going to Clemson for that matter.

Deleted member 2897

You're right. You are rude. And arrogant.

Tech has downshifted its schedule. Sorry. I'm older than you and I've watched if for 40 years. I love Tech and a STH. And it is my opinion (read that again ... it is MY OPINION) that Tech does not schedule what it is capable of scheduling. I believe based on what I know that Tech made a a conscious decision in regards to scheduling that is not good for the program.

It is a fact that scheduling weak opponents (hello, Alcorn State) that have no fan base to speak of in these parts ... does not lead to fuller stadia. These decisions were made years ago and I hope they are changed. Again, it is my opinion, that Tech would be in a far stronger position in Georgia to be in the same consideration set as ... Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida. Being in the ACC probably suits us, but the rivals are 6 hours away which pretty much eliminates a lot, if not all, local kids.

If you have facts, bring 'em. Otherwise, you can kiss my backside.

We play more OOC road games than half the SEC combined. We play 3 top 10 teams. Look up SOS rankings. We’re always in the top 20. There’s ya some facts.