The most disappointing stat from yesterday was...attendance.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I did a rather exhaustive study of attendance some time ago and it bears revisting. The major drivers of attendance are 1) state vs. private school, b) urban vs. suburban campus, c) density of alumni within 5/10 miles of the school. All of these factors are not in Tech's favor, but Tech is not unique here either. Still, Tech holds up well compared to peers. If you look at the "big picture", most schools are more interested in the TV money than filling seats at a stadium that needs constant maintenance. This trend will not stop.

Overall, Tech fills out for "big" games ... Notre Dame, Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn, etc. For those who mentioned it earlier about "ever" seeing a fun time at BDS ... I loved it in 80-83 when we played Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee and UGA ... I think we had the toughest SEC schedule of anyone and we weren't in the SEC. And no, we weren't competing for a nattie. We were barely hanging on. But as far as watching big time college ball, it was a blast.

We're not a football factory and if I were TStan, I'd get back to playing our traditional rivals. No one wants to watch Alcorn State, Nicholls State, Pearl River, or Charlotte. Hot or cold, rain or shine ... attendance will never be as good as playing the best opponents you can.

My two cents.
Complete agreement with this. If, and it's a big if , we want to schedule a couple " lesser teams " , what about Ga. State, Kennesaw , Ga. Southern ? But no more than 2 patsies every year. The other OOC would have to be a home and home with Auburn , or USCe, Vandy, Tenn., or the like. I think , Alcorn AND BGSU + USF is crap for 3 of our games. Not that USF is a bad team , but they are not a familiar foe for us.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Respectfully, you miss the point.

It isn't about money. Do the math ... it isn't that much. It's about creating an exciting environment for Tech football, both now and in the future. A third of the state of Georgia produces kids that go to UGA, Auburn or Alabama. Those kids want to play each other in college ... and they do. Except for Tech. We play .... Alcorn State. And make a few bucks ... We win the battle and lose the war.
YES ++++++ visibility and excitement for the players and the fans. Like I said before , the only notice we get when we play teams like Alcorn is if we would lose. Otherwise, ho hum .....

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Complete agreement with this. If, and it's a big if , we want to schedule a couple " lesser teams " , what about Ga. State, Kennesaw , Ga. Southern ? But no more than 2 patsies every year. The other OOC would have to be a home and home with Auburn , or USCe, Vandy, Tenn., or the like. I think , Alcorn AND BGSU + USF is crap for 3 of our games. Not that USF is a bad team , but they are not a familiar foe for us.

A quick check of last year's game against Tennessee was 75,107 in attendance.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Here is a story of the indefinite postponement of the Bama Home and Home originally scheduled for 2013/2014 and then 2019/2020. The reason was apparently the uncertainty of the football landscape and the possibility of an increased number of conference games. Bama cancelled a home and home with Michigan State for the same reason at about the same time.

We apparently had home and home scheduled and cancelled with Auburn and South Carolina over the last ten years as well.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Here is a story of the indefinite postponement of the Bama Home and Home originally scheduled for 2013/2014 and then 2019/2020. The reason was apparently the uncertainty of the football landscape and the possibility of an increased number of conference games. Bama cancelled a home and home with Michigan State for the same reason at about the same time.

We apparently had home and home scheduled and cancelled with Auburn and South Carolina over the last ten years as well.

I thought there was NO WAY that Alabama or any other SEC team would EVER consider playing Tech? Huh ... so this may be just be unsubstantiated opinion not based on any fact? Wow ... that never happened on a message board before.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed. I have posted this before. Scheduling a team like Alcorn State might as well be an exhibition with free admission. It does NOTHING for our visibility, unless we would lose, and then not in a good way. Tenn. vs GT , even though we lost, was a much better way to start our season, IMO. We are barely relevant locally, because we are barely visible. We need to schedule a good to better team , work our tails off all summer and then go out and beat them in the first game. Get some " buzz" to start the season. Many other teams don't need to get people to notice them , but we ain't some teams.
Winner! Tech gets little notice from our local TV & radio outlets as it is. Paying Alcorn $375 K to play us and lose doesn't move the needle either. Play legit P5 teams that football fans will pay to see. Thanking you in advance Mr. Stansbury.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I still dont know why people keep saying this. NONE of them want to play us. It is NEVER going to happen, other than the occasional bowl game or first game of the season. If you were TStan, you would not be able to play the SEC rivals either.
I haven't read thru every page of this thread but this is the most logical and realistic opinion I've read. Some people on here are acting like scheduling these series is just TStan calling up a guy at Ole Miss or Auburn and telling them he's putting them on the schedule for 2024/2025, so deal with it. The ADs at most of these factory schools want series that are advantageous to them. They typically want to play someone that will either be a high-profile opponent or a P5 they believe they can beat. As noted by Alcorn State's head coach during the broadcast, he said he'd rather play the Mutts on Friday and then Bama on Sunday before playing GT on any random Saturday. The factory schools no that we are nightmare to prepare for and it's a no-win situation for many of them, therefore, they don't want to play us. There's a reason we've had multiple series either get rescheduled or cancelled during PJ's tenure.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I thought there was NO WAY that Alabama or any other SEC team would EVER consider playing Tech? Huh ... so this may be just be unsubstantiated opinion not based on any fact? Wow ... that never happened on a message board before.

While I appreciate the one-up-manship of your sarcasm, we don't really know the real story behind the stories. That the games originally scheduled for 2013/2014 were postponed to 2019/2020 only a few months after the 2009 season (2010) Orange Bowl may provide one reason. Another rumor is that Bama wanted the Atlanta game to be in a dome ... where as you suggest their large Atlanta fanbase could make it a home game for them.

However, I think the real reason is simpler. Here are Bama's out of Conference Pwr5 games over the last 10 years:
2008 - Neutral Site Clemson
2009 - Neutral Site vpi
2010 - Penn St; @Duke
2011 - @Penn St
2012 - Neutral Site Michigan
2013 - Neutral Site vpi
2014 - Neutral Site WV
2015 - Neutral Site Wisconsin
2016 - Neutral Site USC
2017 - Neutral Site FSU​

Since 2011, Bama has not played in a single Home and Home series. They typically play only one Pwr5 team out of conference each year, typically a season-opener at a neutral site. They have played two pwr5 teams out of conference in the same year only once in the last 10 years.

Auburn's Out of Conf Pwr 5 games:
2008 and 2009 -- West Virginia (away and home)
2010 and 2011 -- Clemson (home and away)
2012 -- Neutral Site Clemson
2013 -- Washington State
2014 -- @Kansas State
2015 -- Neutral Site LOLvl
2016 and 2017 -- Clemson (home and away)​

So, it may not be that Auburn and Alabama are necessarily scared of us. However, I think if their fan base would complain and demand that they play 10 pwr5 games a year like Tech tries to do, we'd have a better chance of getting a home and home scheduled with them.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
The following things do not attract bandwagon fans:

- our lack of sustained success since the 60s
- the snobbery of our alumni / fan base
- the fact that we have generally played a style of football seen as boring since 2001
- an inept marketing department
- a lack of star power
- a grumpy curmudgeon for a head coach

I also honestly believe the basketball team being trash hurts our football bandwagon as well.
I would agree with all your points...except the basketball team being trash! How in the name of hell could you even think that! The BB program with JP as coach will bring a Championship to Tech before this sad FB program will, you can take that to the bank!!

So you want to schedule game to make it convenient for the opponents fans?
It would obviously attract more opponents' fans, but I think it would also attract more Tech fans. Old time rivalries are still big and important in the minds of the older Tech fans among us and, I think, highly desirable even among the younger fans or potential fans. Although this isn't the 50s and 60s, in those days Grant Field was packed every time we played one of those opponents, although in those days, the vast majority of those in attendance was Tech fans. Although that might not initially be the case now, if those old-time rivals were scheduled, then I believe the Tech fan base would grow and grow fast, and season ticket sales would increase. Win those games, and the sky's the limit.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

All scheduled when CCG was the HC.

herb

Helluva Engineer

We have had several series like this scheduled, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss but none have ever actually happened. So maybe they considered it and then they or we had second thoughts? Right now we have Ole Miss in 22 and 23, but I wouldn't hold my breath about that happening.

Somewhere above someone mentioned 80-83 and it being a blast. I can tell you as a ten year tech fan old living in dwag central, it was anything but ;) With the notable exception of Sep 12, 1981. that one game kept my hopes alive for years

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm clearly messing with you. But, I don't think it has anything to do with "being afraid of us". I wonder how many AD's have actually made the call and argued the case that this is good for everybody? And yes, these things are done years in advance, so I get that.

But I've heard on this board that we should play [insert far away school with lots of difficulty to travel to]. Most of the schools that are known to us would be a great draw, a great game and one that could potentially bring folks in to see a good product. I recall so many great games that were packed ... hard to argue with the excitement that well known rivals bring.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
While I appreciate the one-up-manship of your sarcasm, we don't really know the real story behind the stories. That the games originally scheduled for 2013/2014 were postponed to 2019/2020 only a few months after the 2009 season (2010) Orange Bowl may provide one reason. Another rumor is that Bama wanted the Atlanta game to be in a dome ... where as you suggest their large Atlanta fanbase could make it a home game for them.

However, I think the real reason is simpler. Here are Bama's out of Conference Pwr5 games over the last 10 years:
2008 - Neutral Site Clemson
2009 - Neutral Site vpi
2010 - Penn St; @Duke
2011 - @Penn St
2012 - Neutral Site Michigan
2013 - Neutral Site vpi
2014 - Neutral Site WV
2015 - Neutral Site Wisconsin
2016 - Neutral Site USC
2017 - Neutral Site FSU​

Since 2011, Bama has not played in a single Home and Home series. They typically play only one Pwr5 team out of conference each year, typically a season-opener at a neutral site. They have played two pwr5 teams out of conference in the same year only once in the last 10 years.

Auburn's Out of Conf Pwr 5 games:
2008 and 2009 -- West Virginia (away and home)
2010 and 2011 -- Clemson (home and away)
2012 -- Neutral Site Clemson
2013 -- Washington State
2014 -- @Kansas State
2015 -- Neutral Site LOLvl
2016 and 2017 -- Clemson (home and away)​

So, it may not be that Auburn and Alabama are necessarily scared of us. However, I think if their fan base would complain and demand that they play 10 pwr5 games a year like Tech tries to do, we'd have a better chance of getting a home and home scheduled with them.
I haven't read thru every page of this thread but this is the most logical and realistic opinion I've read. Some people on here are acting like scheduling these series is just TStan calling up a guy at Ole Miss or Auburn and telling them he's putting them on the schedule for 2024/2025, so deal with it. The ADs at most of these factory schools want series that are advantageous to them. They typically want to play someone that will either be a high-profile opponent or a P5 they believe they can beat. As noted by Alcorn State's head coach during the broadcast, he said he'd rather play the Mutts on Friday and then Bama on Sunday before playing GT on any random Saturday. The factory schools no that we are nightmare to prepare for and it's a no-win situation for many of them, therefore, they don't want to play us. There's a reason we've had multiple series either get rescheduled or cancelled during PJ's tenure.
I really don't think any one is afraid to play us. That is a fantasy we have created in our own minds, IMO. I also believe the nightmare to prepare for was true maybe 7-8 years ago, but that ship has sailed too. We are different, but hardly a nightmare, IMO. I think it goes more to ticket sales, or lack thereof. Our fans have not shown that they travel very well, probably comparable to the FCS schools that they already play with minimal to no chance of losing to them.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We have had several series like this scheduled, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss but none have ever actually happened. So maybe they considered it and then they or we had second thoughts? Right now we have Ole Miss in 22 and 23, but I wouldn't hold my breath about that happening.

Somewhere above someone mentioned 80-83 and it being a blast. I can tell you as a ten year tech fan old living in dwag central, it was anything but ;) With the notable exception of Sep 12, 1981. that one game kept my hopes alive for years

That dude was me. And while the record didn't reflect it ... we had great opponents (Alabama, Notre Dame, Auburn, Tennessee, UGA) and fans road tripped to those games .... Legion Field, Neyland, Jordan-Hare. We had Flash Cards, a packed student section ...

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Although I will continue to be a loyal Tech fan and season ticket holder, I will be honest and tell you I am nervous about the future.

The psychology of fandom is built on a sense of shared experience and belonging. Excitement is contagious and right now ALL of the excitement belongs to the dwags. They already have a huge alumni and fan base and that cultivates even more, because most people want to be part of something popular. Even their color scheme is exciting....red is the color of the sports car you want. Ours is the color of your mom's minivan.

We have had a few shots in the past 30 years to start to turn the tide and pull this thing more even....and we have fumbled every time. I am very worried that our last, best opportunity has passed.

The people that we need to build and grow a fanbase are doing other things rather than going to Tech games. They are wearing red jerseys,hanging out with their friends and neighbors who are also wearing red. They bark, and watch the dwags on the TV.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I really don't think any one is afraid to play us. That is a fantasy we have created in our own minds, IMO. I also believe the nightmare to prepare for was true maybe 7-8 years ago, but that ship has sailed too. We are different, but hardly a nightmare, IMO. I think it goes more to ticket sales, or lack thereof. Our fans have not shown that they travel very well, probably comparable to the FCS schools that they already play with minimal to no chance of losing to them.
Do you guys really think that the GTAA doesn’t want to schedule more series with regional P5 opponents, say from the SEC? Like I said, playing us doesn’t provide enough upside for most of the P5 schools. I think it’s similar to us playing down at USF this week. The proof is in the scheduling pudding. As someone else noted, let’s see if the SEC series we have coming in the next few years get postponed or cancelled.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Although I will continue to be a loyal Tech fan and season ticket holder, I will be honest and tell you I am nervous about the future.

The psychology of fandom is built on a sense of shared experience and belonging. Excitement is contagious and right now ALL of the excitement belongs to the dwags. They already have a huge alumni and fan base and that cultivates even more, because most people want to be part of something popular. Even their color scheme is exciting....red is the color of the sports car you want. Ours is the color of your mom's minivan.

We have had a few shots in the past 30 years to start to turn the tide and pull this thing more even....and we have fumbled every time. I am very worried that our last, best opportunity has passed.

The people that we need to build and grow a fanbase are doing other things rather than going to Tech games. They are wearing red jerseys,hanging out with their friends and neighbors who are also wearing red. They bark, and watch the dwags on the TV.
How is this any different than the way it's been over the last 40 plus years? We've always been the school with the small fanbase. Even in 1990.

Animal02

Banned

Was in school during those years and at that game.....it was a grim time.