The last two postgame PC

Deleted member 2897

One caveat.....the season did expand from 10/11 games to 12/13 so there was a slight bit more opportunity to win 8 games.......but I agree completely that this "rebuild" mantra is Bull ****.

Right, and making the ACC Championship 3x certainly helped with that. But heavens to betsy, he won 11 games twice LOL. In 2014 we were 13 points away from being undefeated. We're in the middle of a culture change and an offensive scheme change, but we're not in a rebuild. A rebuild is like something CJP was hired for - to take over for a team that had 1 winning season in ACC play in the last 20 years (not a typo). Our football team had 1 losing season in ACC play in the last 25 years. Let that sink in.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If he survives long enough to get his guys in, he may be successful, but it’s clear he’s in over his head in regard to this transition.
Like it or not (and we need to be fair and give him time) everyone needs to accept that he’s going to be our coach for the next four years at least. He’s under a seven year contract...

Animal02

Banned
I heard some of this from some folks in Philly as well. Not just random fans, but people that make me believe it. Not reassuring at all
Would you blame them? Since they have essentially been told the next season or two are throw aways in order to "hope" that Collins can win in the future? It should not be acceptable to the players, to the fans or to the AD.
But apparently half the fans and the AD have no problem with it,

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The Citadel, South Florida, and Temple are not good football teams. They are a combined 6-7. And we looked inept in all 3 games. There is no silver lining any where on the field. Many teams go thru rebuilding years but I haven’t seen a bigger dumpster fire than this in a long time. We are smart people. We can take losing. This isn’t losing, this is GT becoming a punch line. Seriously, coming off a bye week this is what our coaches bring to the table? The only good news is that no one sees our games because we are on channels that most folks don’t even know they have.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I go mad crazy when people say “our talent level is ok.” Football is won or lost at the line of scrimmage. You take Clemsons skill positions and our line and the final result is not that different. The year might be considered a success if our QB doesn’t get killed.

On The Citadel depth chart, the DLine had one guy who was 302. The backup NG was 270. The starting DTs were 255 and 215. The backup DTs were 242 and 245. Exactly whose talent was better that day, their DLine or GT's OLine?

Their Center was 295, both guards were right at 285, and both tackles were 250 or under. That is smaller than GT's OL the last few years. Exactly whose talent was better on that day their OLine or GT's DLine?

Going by your statement, we should have won that game just based on the OLine and Dline.

Animal02

Banned
Like it or not (and we need to be fair and give him time) everyone needs to accept that he’s going to be our coach for the next four years at least. He’s under a seven year contract...
If he continues to crap the bed like he is currently doing.....he will not make it past three. You really think that three seasons well below .500 will be acceptable. If that happens, TStan will not survive either.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Some of us just aren't as satisfied as you apparently are with losing to an FCS team for the first time in 36 years or being held to fewer than 3 pts for the first time in 32 years.

I'm still of the opinion that CGC can get things going in the right direction but for people to pretend that we've seen anything to back that up is crazy.

For one I’m not satisfied. It’s ridiculous to say I am.

The losses are a clear indictment on where we are as a program right now. For me blaming the current coaching staff for the issues is just insane. Does anybody remember the 08 Gardner Webb game where we won 10-7? 10 measly points against Gardner Webb when we were playing with Calvin Booker at qb. It was a player completely ill suited to run Johnson’s offense and we were terrible. This staff is dealing with an even bigger issue at qb. Throw in this OL and you have a situation where the majority of OC’s in the game would struggle immensely with this group. While I would like to see them develop something that can work I certainly don’t expect it.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Vegas thought we'd beat the Citadel. Only people who hated CPJ more than they like Tech could be satisfied with what we're seeing.

My goodness you couldn’t be more off. I for one didn’t hate CPJ. I along with the rest of the country did however see how bare he left the cupboard. The only people that are surprised that we suck are people on this board

And yeah yeah we should have beat Citadel.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
My goodness the only people around the country that don’t think we are in a monumental rebuild are the people in this board. This is the type of thing that is so frustrating. I get criticism of the coach. But not acknowledging the severe lack of talent on this team is simply to be blind. Very frustrating.

Boaty1, my disagreement is that perhaps Vegas sees the lack of talent on the coaching side of the ball.

Tech has D1 talent on the field. These kids have won games against other D1 schools under Johnson. There is talent on the field. Tech has impressive (elite) team speed at the skill positions.

What Vegas sees is that the coaching staff is going through a "monumental rebuild". And not really a rebuild, but defining themselves.

How many coaches on this staff besides Key have D1 experience at the position they are coaching? Key is the only one that comes to mind.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Yall need to settle down, if you don't recognize the talent gap that exists now then there's no reasoning with you. Collins can't, and shouldn't, say that himself but the current roster is depleted. Significantly. Cpj wouldn't be doing much better running his system with the current starters. As he'd say, it is what it is at this point. Recruit and rebuild.
I agree that we need better talent, but I don’t think it’s across the board. I think the QBs, backs, and receivers are fine. But our O line right now is in shambles.

But this is where I disagree with what you’re saying above regarding CPJ. His scheme worked wonders when you had a weak O line...it didn’t necessarily produce a GREAT offense, but it produced something better than we are looking at right now. Something that could at least put a few scores on the board against the majority of our opponents.

You guys think it looks bad now? There’s a couple other teams on our schedule that are going to make our offense look downright pathetic if this keeps up.

Deleted member 2897

My goodness you couldn’t be more off. I for one didn’t hate CPJ. I along with the rest of the country did however see how bare he left the cupboard. The only people that are surprised that we suck are people on this board

And yeah yeah we should have beat Citadel.

False. We have tons of guys on our roster rated 4-stars by at least one agency. James Graham, Yates, Jamious Griffin, BJ Swilling, Tre Swilling, Askew, Jaquan Henderson, Dingle, Chimedza, Clayton, Ezzard, Walker, Jay King, Kaleb Oliver, Sims, Allen... I'm missing some still. But this is the most I can remember in a long time. The cupboard isn't bare.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Look, I'm a complicated person. I love Paul Johnson and option football, but also after the Duke game, I was on this site complaining about the talent gap. We use to get the type of kid Duke is getting right now. They were more physical than we were. That shouldn't happen when you run a spread option offense. You pride yourself on being physical.

I did not agree with the hire, but I cheer for Tech no matter what.

To me, it seems we were worried about winning the press conference, not winning games. Coach Collins came in and said everything everyone wanted to hear. He hired some Tech men. He was all over social media. We were winning everything but actual games.

Monken was my choice. I think he is a good coach no matter what offense he runs, but I was okay with us going away from the option.
There are a lot of good young coaches out there that could have moved us away from the triple option and had more success than this.

Most of you realize that there are guys that interview great, but when it's time to perform, they can't handle it.

I don't have the answers. I think it's in our best interest not to let this drag out. Someone should be fired. Either Coach Collins fires the OC or he should be fired.

The longer this goes on, the more difficult it will be to turn it around.

I'm not trying to get everyone mad. Just stating my opinion.
OC probably has to go, but do you do that mid season? Who replaces him? If it’s from the staff I think you just end up with more of the same right now. At this point I think you’ll have to assess post season...but if we assemble a good recruiting class we might be able to lure a better offensive mind.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Would you blame them? Since they have essentially been told the next season or two are throw aways in order to "hope" that Collins can win in the future? It should not be acceptable to the players, to the fans or to the AD.
But apparently half the fans and the AD have no problem with it,
No it pisses me off too. And I completely get it. That was my point in the other thread about redshirting select upper class men so you have them after this disaster is over...feels like giving up.

I’m very disappointed in the approach we are taking on offense. I truly feel like we could have installed something that made us more competitive. Hell, even if you had to run the 30 in part during a transition season then do it, but don’t just throw up your hands and quit.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For one I’m not satisfied. It’s ridiculous to say I am.

The losses are a clear indictment on where we are as a program right now. For me blaming the current coaching staff for the issues is just insane. Does anybody remember the 08 Gardner Webb game where we won 10-7? 10 measly points against Gardner Webb when we were playing with Calvin Booker at qb. It was a player completely ill suited to run Johnson’s offense and we were terrible. This staff is dealing with an even bigger issue at qb. Throw in this OL and you have a situation where the majority of OC’s in the game would struggle immensely with this group. While I would like to see them develop something that can work I certainly don’t expect it.

When you make excuses for why we lost the games and say that you don't expect better from CGC and staff, then you are saying you are satisfied whether you want to admit it or not.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
I know.
I understand that, but my fear is we lose recruits if we let this continue. We have to appear to know there is an issue and we are going to address it.

You think there was negative recruiting against PJ, just wait. The ACC is licking their chops. They can't wait to slam GT. Right now, it will be extremely easy to do.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson won 8 or more games at more than 3x the rate that other coaches had in the last 50 years. We went to a couple Orange Bowls, won the ACC, and won the Coastal a bunch of times. He averaged a little over 7 wins a season IIRC. Most people don't call taking over a 7+ win team a major rebuild. Anybody who thinks we're in a rebuild thinks that because they're ignorant about our program.

Now, is the type of program and culture we had under Paul Johnson acceptable? Personally, I say no. He was the right guy at the right time, but it was high time to move on. We're all hoping to get to where 8-10 wins a season is more the norm. But winning 1-3 more games a year is not a major rebuilt, LOL.

Not trying to be smart so I sincerely ask, do you not give any credence to the belief that transitioning away from the TO is the most difficult transition? It seems like you are acting as if the only thing changing is the coaching staff and not accounting for a complete scheme overhaul.

I was watching a rerun of the Louisville/FSU game middle of last week. The announcers asked the question which rebuild was more difficult between GT & Louisville. Both of them said firmly that the GT rebuild was far tougher. They said this despite the fact we beat the snot out of Louisville last year and had a far better record. That perspective sis certainly the dominant one around the country about the state of our program.

Now, you can argue that we are tearing it down in an attempt to build something greater. You may not think we needed to that. I for one thought it totally necessary and am excited at the possibility of a top 25 recruiting class this year. For me everything right now is about the future and I’m ok with tearing down what in my mind had become stale in hopes of a better tomorrow.

Go Jackets.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
When you make excuses for why we lost the games and say that you don't expect better from CGC and staff, then you are saying you are satisfied whether you want to admit it or not.

Is it an excuse to say we are the least talented team in P5? Maybe you think it is but most people agree with me.

Is it an excuse to say the transition from the 3o is the toughest in football? Maybe you think it is but most people agree with me.

It’s just hard for me to put the blame on the coaches when I see what they are working with. I blame the coach that is responsible for the makeup of the roster.

I’m certainly not satisfied. I wasn’t satisfied with the last 4 years either. I just happen to believe the future is much brighter right now than it was at this time last year.