The last two postgame PC

Animal02

Banned
His description of the transition as "monumental" is a matter of opinion, and he is not alone in that opinion, if you read any articles or previews of our upcoming season. Truthfully, he is using "transition" to avoid saying "rebuild" because he is going out of his way not to shade the former staff or current players, which is something people should kind of appreciate, IMO. If we got brutal honesty from him on this topic, believe me, people would be mad.

In talking about Tech's past glory, I have mostly seen him referring to the O'Leary years, in which we were, in fact, ranked at the end of the season for 5 straight years, though it was top 25 rather than top 10.
Was he still "growing up" during the O'Leary years. You move the goal posts once again to avoid the facts. Spin away.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
His description of the transition as "monumental" is a matter of opinion, and he is not alone in that opinion, if you read any articles or previews of our upcoming season. Truthfully, he is using "transition" to avoid saying "rebuild" because he is going out of his way not to shade the former staff or current players, which is something people should kind of appreciate, IMO. If we got brutal honesty from him on this topic, believe me, people would be mad.

In talking about Tech's past glory, I have mostly seen him referring to the O'Leary years, in which we were, in fact, ranked at the end of the season for 5 straight years, though it was top 25 rather than top 10.

Full disclosure, I'm relying on hearsay for the description of the transition. He very well could have used different phrasing and I should have tracked it down before pinning it on him. Apologies to CGC if I misquoted him.

However I agree that I would prefer brutal honesty, but would settle for prudent honesty - the type where you are judicious in what you reveal but what you actually choose to say is correct.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Was he still "growing up" during the O'Leary years. You move the goal posts once again to avoid the facts. Spin away.
This from the guy claiming people have said all winning takes is 4 and 5 stars. Then when you get asked for proof where that's been said, it's changed to "underlying belief".

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, he was around his mid 20s, so he probably was still growing up. I sure as hell know I was around that time in my life. Were you as mature and wise as you are now at that age?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I was just saying how I interpreted the instances where he said that. There may be instances that I didn't hear about. Either way, I don't care enough about it to bother quibbling over it or moving the goalposts.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
I have heard all his PC since being here and I haven't heard anything that is a LIE. Just because his opinion and yours or someone elses is different doesn't make it dishonest. Point is, if we were 4-0 right now and he said all the same things, most people would be agreeing with him Since we are 1-3 people are disagreeing and looking for negatives to talk about. And yes, @TampaGT ,they haven't signed yet, but when's the last time we had even a verbal commit from this high of a class? I'll wait...

2018 was pretty close (.008) lower avg rating with 2x 4 Stars

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

The next time he goes out of his way to avoid criticizing the former coach and staff will be the first time. And describing his chore as "monumental" is a direct reflection of the 7-year contract and license to magnify everything he touches. D-Day was monumental. This is football. The former coach at Chapel Hill got into a world of trouble because he didn't know the difference.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Why didn't you have this much of a problem when Johnson undersold our program? We are not a 500 program historically as Johnson indicated.

Why do you not want the program to be painted in the best possible light? Your thinking makes no sense to me.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The next time he goes out of his way to avoid criticizing the former coach and staff will be the first time. And describing his chore as "monumental" is a direct reflection of the 7-year contract and license to magnify everything he touches. D-Day was monumental. This is football. The former coach at Chapel Hill got into a world of trouble because he didn't know the difference.

Agree to disagree on your first point. I think he has been respectful of the previous staff and current players and has noticeably chosen his words carefully in situations where other new coaches at other schools have been much more blunt.

To your second point, I think you have it backwards. He got the 7 year contract because TStan did indeed see this as a monumental transition from a football perspective.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Why didn't you have this much of a problem when Johnson undersold our program? We are not a 500 program historically as Johnson indicated.

Why do you not want the program to be painted in the best possible light? Your thinking makes no sense to me.
Fair point re the 500 program historically.

I don't really have a problem with him hyping our program -- glad he does it. My concern is more that he has an issue telling the truth.

Of course, all of these concerns go away when he starts winning. And I'll give him time for that. 7 years seems too much. I say next two years are a pass, after that we should be bowling, and after that (his 4th year) we need a winning program.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Agree to disagree on your first point. I think he has been respectful of the previous staff and current players and has noticeably chosen his words carefully in situations where other new coaches at other schools have been much more blunt.

To your second point, I think you have it backwards. He got the 7 year contract because TStan did indeed see this as a monumental transition from a football perspective.
Well, okay then. But let us consider that he considers his job as "monumental" and says so apparently with some frequency. Out loud. That is hardly going out of his way not to criticize. That is going out of his way to hang everything on the previous regime, whereas he left Temple as the holy of holys , and the present staff, though they stomped on us pretty good, is really not responsible for the team they have. I don't think pontificating -- and that was what it was -- on ESPN that he wants to "return Georgia Tech: to the glories of his youth. He said this. Out loud, too. Now, Johnson is a big boy, made big money and he can take care of himself, but he had some glory years, too. But not to Collins.

I'm gonna give you half a point on the contract. But what it did/does is stretch out the eventual responsibility for the team on the field. But the cupboard was not left bare. I know, second hand but from a trustworthy source, of a successful and famous football coach who once said he could find "good football players under any rock." And that is the nut of it as Johnson once said of the transition: they are football players. Good coaches will coach the twos up to three and the threes up to four. So let's find out how good Collins is. As much as I want him to succeed, I have my doubts. Shoot, Dabo Swinney won two NCs and got 10 years Lord knows what the AD would give Collins for just one. But first we need to know if this guy climbs above the Mendoza Line.

As for monumental: if you can apply it to football, that might describe something like ...Georgia State? I mean, starting up a football team and you don't even have jock straps ...

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
As for monumental: if you can apply it to football, that might describe something like ...Georgia State? I mean, starting up a football team and you don't even have jock straps ...

I also think of the tasks faced by Jim Grobe at Baylor and Bill Clark at UAB. Grobe faced a mass exodus of players, had the entire country hating his school, and faced probably the worst possible negative recruiting possible. He won 7 games including a bowl game. Clark had a program yanked out from under him and sit dormant for three years, then came back in, resurrected the dang thing, and immediately took them to 8 wins and a bowl game in his first season back and 11 wins the next year. CGC undeniably faces challenges, but those were truly monumental and neither of those coaches get enough credit for overcoming them.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I have heard all his PC since being here and I haven't heard anything that is a LIE. Just because his opinion and yours or someone elses is different doesn't make it dishonest. Point is, if we were 4-0 right now and he said all the same things, most people would be agreeing with him Since we are 1-3 people are disagreeing and looking for negatives to talk about. And yes, @TampaGT ,they haven't signed yet, but when's the last time we had even a verbal commit from this high of a class? I'll wait...
Current class is .8639last two clas were .8553 and .8529. Not that much difference between avg. if we have a 1 win season and we lose a player or two, then we will drop between now and signing day.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins has to be feeling some heat after two miserable losses. We have to go back to the years of he who is not named for a team that has performed so poorly. Unfortunately during preseason and leading up to to the start of the season he hyped the team and the players, heck even the coaches.

What recourse does he have but to blame it on the cupboard being bare?