The last two postgame PC

Deleted member 2897

If I had to guess, I’d say the team is frustrated, but not at each other or the coaches. From everything I can see, most of them seem more mature than I am.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It’s been mentioned on Twitter by a few younger fans who seem to be tight with players. Could easily be frustrated fans making **** up to stir the pot, though.

I’m definitely giving Coach the benefit of the doubt on that issue. The on the field issues? I’m more inclined to point the finger at him.

It's been mentioned on Twitter!!?:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: Then it must be true.

He quite clearly stated they were rumors and also admitted it could merely be pot stirring.

Don’t kill the messenger and don’t take the message out of context.

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
Yall need to settle down, if you don't recognize the talent gap that exists now then there's no reasoning with you. Collins can't, and shouldn't, say that himself but the current roster is depleted. Significantly. Cpj wouldn't be doing much better running his system with the current starters. As he'd say, it is what it is at this point. Recruit and rebuild.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Then tell us what it said or link it. Why bring it up if you can’t say or share ?

That’s like a girl I use to date !

I’m sorry, I don’t have the interest to go digging through Twitter to find **** that popped up on my timeline during the game. If you don’t know how the Twitter algorithm works, I can explain it to you. It doesn’t just show tweets from people you follow, it shows tweets that might interest you based on who you follow/what hashtags you like etc. Often during live events, you are bombarded with tweets and comments by people you don’t know/follow that are commenting on what you are commenting on. So no, I can’t tell you who exactly said what because I didn’t like the tweets or retweet them, nor do I follow those people.

I mention it because it’s something negatively being said about our team on a platform that recruits use heavily.

Animal02

Banned
I’m kind of concerned with CGC last two PC in how in relates to him as a HC. After the citadel game he talked about how the ref said something that he clearly didn’t say. Forget about the fact that he should know the rules, the ref clearly stated the clock would start on the ready to play. You can’t say that he was told something different because his excuse in the PC stated something to the effect “everyone in the stadium heard him”, so he was clearly talking about the head ref.
Issue two, after the temple loss , he starts talking about about how great their roster is and how how he and the staff can scout, recruit, and develop talent. I do have a problem with him trying to build himself up after you lose. It was almost as he is trying to take credit for their win. But that is beside the point, he made it sound like they were mostly players he scouted and recruited to Temple. I can’t find it but Someone here asked one of the Temple fan that came on the board this week before Saturday’s game “how many starters did CGC recruit”. The Temple fan said 2. https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/temple/91970 According to this, the breakdown is on O RS SR 2, SR 1, RS JR 6, JR 0, RS SO 0, SO 2, RS FR 0, FR 0. On D you have RS SR AND GR 4, SR 3, RS JR 2,JR 1, RS SO 1, SO 0, RS FR 0, FR 0. CGC was there 17 and 18 and you could say most of the freshman this year are his recruits. So all the freshman and sophomore players are his recruits. 2 guys on the starting 22, but let’s be Generous and say that even though he took the job on Dec 13 he had a hand in those players. So you can add RS So and JR, for 2 more players. At BEST he is responsible for 4 out the starting 22. The way he talked you would have thought at least half the guys were his recruits. I know coaches will give BS/coach speak answer to questions in a PC, but this is on a different level and IF again I said IF this continues and IF it is happening in the locker room, then the players will see through his BS. Let’s just caulk it up to not thinking straight after two frustrating loses and hope this trend doesn’t continue cause if it does it will be very ugly.
The top of the list of importance on all the polls I have seen regarding recruits.....is HONESTY.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Well just dayum. He spent more time talking Temple than Tech.

This is a press conference I hope we look back on and laugh.

The talent level is not that depleted that we have witnessed the worst football since the coach whose name we do not mention.

Sorry, coaches, this team is not prepared and has not shown signs of improvement week after week. Our offense just got shut out, our special teams (or should I limit that to kick off return) just embarrassed themselves. We try to praise the defense, and maybe the defense will end up being the only competent component of the team. However, scapegoating poor performance on a scheme change, to me, is whining. It is what you signed up to do and you have had plenty of time to do it.

It is up to you to use the talent you have and make a winner. And at the press conference, you need to man up and poke the responsibility finger in your face. Collins did not do that this time.

As a fan, it is hard to have conversations with friends and colleagues about college football. This is embarrassing.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Well, he also said our program is in a major rebuild when it’s not.....well, it probably will be after his first season is over.

My goodness the only people around the country that don’t think we are in a monumental rebuild are the people in this board. This is the type of thing that is so frustrating. I get criticism of the coach. But not acknowledging the severe lack of talent on this team is simply to be blind. Very frustrating.

Sheldon's

Jolly Good Fellow
My goodness the only people around the country that don’t think we are in a monumental rebuild are the people in this board. This is the type of thing that is so frustrating. I get criticism of the coach. But not acknowledging the severe lack of talent on this team is simply to be blind. Very frustrating.

Amen. Vegas called it and people still have a hard time coming to the realization that this is an instance where they may not be the smartest person in the room and they fall on their sword defending to the death.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Some of us just aren't as satisfied as you apparently are with losing to an FCS team for the first time in 36 years or being held to fewer than 3 pts for the first time in 32 years.

I'm still of the opinion that CGC can get things going in the right direction but for people to pretend that we've seen anything to back that up is crazy.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Amen. Vegas called it and people still have a hard time coming to the realization that this is an instance where they may not be the smartest person in the room and they fall on their sword defending to the death.

Vegas thought we'd beat the Citadel. Only people who hated CPJ more than they like Tech could be satisfied with what we're seeing.

Deleted member 2897

Paul Johnson won 8 or more games at more than 3x the rate that other coaches had in the last 50 years. We went to a couple Orange Bowls, won the ACC, and won the Coastal a bunch of times. He averaged a little over 7 wins a season IIRC. Most people don't call taking over a 7+ win team a major rebuild. Anybody who thinks we're in a rebuild thinks that because they're ignorant about our program.

Now, is the type of program and culture we had under Paul Johnson acceptable? Personally, I say no. He was the right guy at the right time, but it was high time to move on. We're all hoping to get to where 8-10 wins a season is more the norm. But winning 1-3 more games a year is not a major rebuilt, LOL.

Animal02

Banned
Paul Johnson won 8 or more games at more than 3x the rate that other coaches had in the last 50 years. We went to a couple Orange Bowls, won the ACC, and won the Coastal a bunch of times. He averaged a little over 7 wins a season IIRC. Most people don't call taking over a 7+ win team a major rebuild. Anybody who thinks we're in a rebuild thinks that because they're ignorant about our program.
One caveat.....the season did expand from 10/11 games to 12/13 so there was a slight bit more opportunity to win 8 games.......but I agree completely that this "rebuild" mantra is Bull ****.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Look, I'm a complicated person. I love Paul Johnson and option football, but also after the Duke game, I was on this site complaining about the talent gap. We use to get the type of kid Duke is getting right now. They were more physical than we were. That shouldn't happen when you run a spread option offense. You pride yourself on being physical.

I did not agree with the hire, but I cheer for Tech no matter what.

To me, it seems we were worried about winning the press conference, not winning games. Coach Collins came in and said everything everyone wanted to hear. He hired some Tech men. He was all over social media. We were winning everything but actual games.

Monken was my choice. I think he is a good coach no matter what offense he runs, but I was okay with us going away from the option.
There are a lot of good young coaches out there that could have moved us away from the triple option and had more success than this.

Most of you realize that there are guys that interview great, but when it's time to perform, they can't handle it.

I don't have the answers. I think it's in our best interest not to let this drag out. Someone should be fired. Either Coach Collins fires the OC or he should be fired.

The longer this goes on, the more difficult it will be to turn it around.

I'm not trying to get everyone mad. Just stating my opinion.