The Culture is Real

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just making an observation, when I ran businesses and led turnarounds, the happiest employees, the ones having the most fun also ... lost the most money.

It’s important to recognize the goal (we want to win 12 games) while recognizing the truth of the situation (we don’t have the roster or scheme to do it). But here’s what we’re doing ... we’re recruiting, we’re developing and we’re working on playing error free ball.

I’m fine if Geoff sticks to that and I’ll look at his success on those for a while. But the dancing, lifting weights, money down ... is a bad look, imo.

Bear Bryant banned spiking the ball in the end zone and instead, told players to hand the ball to the ref. When asked why he didn’t allow players to celebrate, he quipped, “Celebrate what? They’re supposed to be in the end zone.”

Act like champions, play like champions.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Mate as others have pointed out you did not read. I said took US (GT) to the wire in 2014. And UGA in 2015. You were so ready to fire that response you did not even read what was really written. You must not like attention to detail. And for the record you can go find me posting that I wanted Tony Elliot. You can also find me posting that when collins was hired and thacker was his DC i said I liked it. Same with Choice etc. I actually agreed with Paternaude's hiring a little bit as well. His coastal teams were flex based and he was saying all the right things. Even in the clemson game I didn't get mad when **** wasn't being executed. However by USF it became apparent things were far worse than they appeared.

There is a fine line between respect and seeing someone as a peer and thus when Collins has to suspend someone for a game or two or even kick someone off the team it becomes a " Hey man I thought we were friends?" And it can easily turn an entire locker room on you because you end up looking like a hypocrite. The same thing can happen in the business world when you are in positions of leadership.

As for the discipline thing, you are looking at only one single aspect of it (penalties). Which that loose mentality lead to how many against Citadel contributing to that loss? I have to wonder which was more effective at instilling discipline. Collins culture or national embarrassment?

Discipline is about every single thing you do. How you approach training, school, the game and how you get kids to trust the process. If you play it to loose you get people second guessing what they are suppose to do, reacting slowly and failing on the field. Because they think "it's ok to mess up, we are building with tremendous effort" Complacency in failure is HUGE problem. Teams tend to reflect their head coaches. Look how many times Braun gave interviews with answers similiar to Johnson. Or JT or Jamal Golden. (there was sweating's infamous post game interview gaff but that was rare).

All in all. I am a Tech fan and I am a southern Fan. But when I became a southern fan, Johnson was gone. When i became a tech fan? 1997. So yeah I guess I was an option fan, the fridge-option.

You’re right. I read your post wrong and was way off. I apologize for that. I can admit when I’m wrong and this is definitely one of those times.

As for discipline, I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. It’s way more than just penalties/game. That stat though is one of the few ways we can actually measure discipline. Your 4th paragraph is essentially what Collins has been preaching since he got on campus. “How you do anything is how you do everything.” I assure you nobody on that team thinks failure is “okay.” Go read some of the articles talking about his expectstions for watching film, going to class...etc. Heck, he let one of the kids struggling in the classroom take time away from football to focus on getting that squared away.

As for the part about being friends and not being able to discipline a player if needed, I think you’re overreaching here. Collins is all about family. You discipline ones you love. If someone is doing something that hurts themselves or the team, I don’t think he will have any problem disciplining that person. I do think he will do it in a way that doesn’t publicly embarrass said person though.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
gt football lacks discipline that is for sure and its due to the new tweeting culture smh

- top 15 for best performance against penalties
- regained grahams academic status
- no legal issues
- no failouts this year
- minor team violations were addressed and the kid either sat out or was punished internally with little to no repeats
- no drug problems or suspensions due to use

we are running amok. Total anarchy.

this is one area no one can focus on

if we want to question the O progress, or harvin's inability to stay fit, or 3rd down or whatever fine. But discipline...nope...not yet anyway

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

As for the part about being friends and not being able to discipline a player if needed, I think you’re overreaching here. Collins is all about family. You discipline ones you love. If someone is doing something that hurts themselves or the team, I don’t think he will have any problem disciplining that person. I do think he will do it in a way that doesn’t publicly embarrass said person though.
I hate to reference Swinney again, but a friend knows him well so I hear these stories. As for discipline, the fact he wants fun and a relaxed atmosphere doesn't stop him from coaching. I was told of one practice when players "got chippy" and lost discipline. It resulted in a "brutal" practice ... but he cured the problem.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I hate to reference Swinney again, but a friend knows him well so I hear these stories. As for discipline, the fact he wants fun and a relaxed atmosphere doesn't stop him from coaching. I was told of one practice when players "got chippy" and lost discipline. It resulted in a "brutal" practice ... but he cured the problem.

I hate referencing Bear Bryant but as a native Alabamian,, it's almost like reading the Bible. Bryant wrote that coaches need to find their own style … whatever works for THEM. Don't try and copy any other coach's style because what works for them may not work for you. Just be yourself.

I can say his style is not mine. But, he's also the guy who got into the arena and not me. So there's that.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

I’m not sure if you’re agreeing with me or not so not sure how to respond.

I agree with you that you can have a fun culture and still run a tight ship and have high expectations. I think that’s what Geoff is building here.

I agree with you (I think it was you) who said that Dabo has seemingly morphed into more of a fiery guy over the years. He’s built a culture of fun, trust, family but when you see people taking advantage of it, you have to step up and make sure they understand the boundaries. That’s what he’s doing IMO. I’ve also seen him jump all over a player after a mistake in a game (which I personally disagree with unless it’s something like Pickens did with Swilling or the kid for Ole Miss).

If we are going to model our program after any other program, I’d pick a Dabo led Clemson program. While we don’t have their resources, we can build that culture here and I think that’s what Collins is trying to do in his own way.

supertech1984

Georgia Tech Fan
If there is one thing that this thread teaches me, it’s that old people are awful with change.

The same people complaining about the new “have fun” culture are the same ones who would’ve been complaining when Bear Bryant allowed a black man to play on his team.

Different generation, same attitude. But I’m not hating on you oldies. In 40 years, I’m totally going to lose my mind when we use mind rays to pass the plays in (or something else)

LibertyTurns

Banned
If there is one thing that this thread teaches me, it’s that old people are awful with change.

The same people complaining about the new “have fun” culture are the same ones who would’ve been complaining when Bear Bryant allowed a black man to play on his team.

Different generation, same attitude. But I’m not hating on you oldies. In 40 years, I’m totally going to lose my mind when we use mind rays to pass the plays in (or something else)
It’s not really an old/young divide at GT because we’ve historically been a very conservative, analytical, business-oriented Institute. We tend to admire the performance, the functionality, etc rather than the appearance. Elegant solutions to complex problems are “cool”, not the packaging or advertising. Perhaps times are changing and the flashy marketing type all show & no go philosophy is going to dominate. Not really sure this will be the case because at the end of the day you’ll still have a significant percentage of the fanbase that’s extremely analytical. After all, we were about 2 decades behind the times trading the more accurate slide rule for a calculator even with our technological prowess. I’m not sure high gloss marketing, fashion, “cool”, etc is in the average GT man’s DNA.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It’s not really an old/young divide at GT because we’ve historically been a very conservative, analytical, business-oriented Institute. We tend to admire the performance, the functionality, etc rather than the appearance. Elegant solutions to complex problems are “cool”, not the packaging or advertising. Perhaps times are changing and the flashy marketing type all show & no go philosophy is going to dominate. Not really sure this will be the case because at the end of the day you’ll still have a significant percentage of the fanbase that’s extremely analytical. After all, we were about 2 decades behind the times trading the more accurate slide rule for a calculator even with our technological prowess. I’m not sure high gloss marketing, fashion, “cool”, etc is in the average GT man’s DNA.

Nerd culture is having a renaissance, so now is the opportunity to cross the chasm.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Back on the important issue. Why in the hell did Kentucky get Taxslayer bowl rings and GT did not? GT did not want to spend the $. When Will was @ GT they cancelled 2 out of 4 Football banquets. The last one they said they couldn't afford it... There was ZERO effort to make football important. At least the new guy is making a effort. The players really seem to be responsive.

Last edited:

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Back on the important issue. Why in the hell did Kentucky get Taxslayer bowl rings and GT did not? GT did not want to spend the $. When Will was @ GT they cancelled 2 out of 4 Football banquets. The last one they said they couldn't afford it... There was ZERO effort to make football important. At least the new guy is making a effort. The players really seem to be responsive.

Bobo & Petey were awful.

LibertyTurns

Banned
This is horrible. Many of us would have opened up our wallets had we known this kind of crap was going on. Boo GT ADs!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I’m just missing something, but why does ANYONE get a ring without having won a conference or national championship?

Even an Orange Bowl or Rose Bowl ring is silly without a championship. So what...you win one game and get a ring? Just doesn’t make sense to me.