The Culture is Real

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't remember that many people still supporting Gailey, then again the coach that replaced him came in and won 9 games and beat UGA that first season. Winning sure fixes lots of things.....

The internet message boards were different back then. I was actually opposed to firing Gailey as I wanted to see what he could do with his 2007 class and felt like firing a guy 1 year removed from an ACCCG appearance was unfair. I definitely wasn't a fan of the CPJ hire at the time, but 2008 and 2009 convinced me his offense could work at this level.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Once again another thread derailed by more of this CPJ vs. CGC stupidity. I enjoy giving you guys some insight as to how the program operates, but I think I am about done contributing for a while.

Did you guys really not think there would be a day of reckoning when PJ left? Look I was able to play at an ACC school b/c of this offense. Do I also realize I would not have been able to play in a more conventional offense, yes. So clearly, there is going to be a difference in outcomes as the personel shifts from 3O to a more convention Offense.

This **** isnt plug and play...Of course you can win 7 games with an experienced 3O team but only win 3 with a totally different offense. No **** sherlock. If anything CGC winning 3 games with the 'wrong' players is more impressive than what Fleck did.
Please don't stop contributing! It is the insights of the former players like yourself, @Ibeeballin, and others that make this site unique and worth reading (even through this nonsense)!

I already hate myself for contributing to this mess as much as I did yesterday but after sitting back and watching every thread end up in this same argument I felt I had to finally speak up, which was obviously a mistake.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
When it's CGC's time comes to leave GT, and it will come one day (though I hope it's after winning multiple championships and turning GT into a national powerhouse) the same thing will happen with CGC.

I honestly don't think you will have worry about this.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if anyone follows GT FB on instagram, but they posted reflections from some of the guys who finished out their senior years. As a CPJ player and former teammate to these guys, it was quite interesting to hear their views. I spoke with a few other guys that I played with and all of us think this new culture change is going to be thoroughly refreshing to the program.

So many people keep saying Collins is all talk or a used car salesman...that's BS. College recruiting is all about managing the emotions and needs of 17 year old kids that are pretty savvy. They see right through phony ****. Collins is not a great recruiter because of what he says or tweets or wears, but because he is selling his ability to make kids feel valued and at home at GT. For me recruiting was total BS, with shady folks at every turn, meeting CGC would have been a breath of fresh air.

The hardest part of of a new coaching staff is getting the old staff's upper classmen to get on board. One only needs to look at Fuente (had guys trying to lose to avoid going to a bowl game) and Frost's to see how tricky that is.

View attachment 7362

View attachment 7363

View attachment 7364
If you had the most fun year ever going 3-9, I wouldn't want to be in the room if you won say, four. This is just a ridiculous and patently phony endorsement of a coach. You enjoyed losing nine games? Now I know why we lost nine games. My god. Imagine the fun if you won none.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
The internet message boards were different back then. I was actually opposed to firing Gailey as I wanted to see what he could do with his 2007 class and felt like firing a guy 1 year removed from an ACCCG appearance was unfair. I definitely wasn't a fan of the CPJ hire at the time, but 2008 and 2009 convinced me his offense could work at this level.

Well him never beating ugag and also speaking of ACC Championship... I mean c'mon, we lost 6-9 to Wake... WAKE! Instead of picking up votes, he lost any goodwill he had with that. And that's WITH Calvin Johnson!!!

So really the question becomes would you be happy with a 7-5 every single year under Chan or would you take the highs and lows of CPJ. Most people I imagine would say the latter.

Milwaukee

Banned
Well him never beating ugag and also speaking of ACC Championship... I mean c'mon, we lost 6-9 to Wake... WAKE! Instead of picking up votes, he lost any goodwill he had with that. And that's WITH Calvin Johnson!!!

So really the question becomes would you be happy with a 7-5 every single year under Chan or would you take the highs and lows of CPJ. Most people I imagine would say the latter.

You people need to stop talking about that Wake team like they were scrubs. That team was LOADED at every single position. It makes you look silly as if you don't know football when you say that; the same way people that harp on losing to Duke the last few years look silly as well. Cutcliffe has elevated that program in recent years. Not siding with either Tech coach argument, just trying to give some actual perspective.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If you had the most fun year ever going 3-9, I wouldn't want to be in the room if you won say, four. This is just a ridiculous and patently phony endorsement of a coach. You enjoyed losing nine games? Now I know why we lost nine games. My god. Imagine the fun if you won none.

Maybe, just maybe, they enjoyed embracing each other as brothers in a Family for the first time, maybe they learned some things about doing the best they could to overcome the tradgedy of losing one of their team leaders in a horrible way, maybe they enjoyed the attention given (despite our shortcomings) to All 3 phases of the game and not just one with the constant post game analysis centered on T.O.P. and missed OL assignments.

Maybe they learned that their final legacy is not one bad season under some truly unfair circumstances but what they have laid the groundwork for in ways we may never know.

Just sayin.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I Wonder if Bear was coaching today would these kids play for him. Was it Texas A&M he was so hard on them?

The infamous "Junction Boys". A book was written about that first Bear Bryant team at Texas A&M. Nowadays, it is called "the process" or some such. Of the relatively small number that survived, an astonishing number ended up being millionaires. Make of that what you will. One of the survivors became an Aggie legend and All American running back: John David Crow. There are a number of players on this team that could use a little "processing" starting with kickers. The sooner Coach Collins takes the trash out, the sooner he can get his own players in and then we can argue about culture and everything else. Unless he starts winning ball games in the next year or two, the culture will not matter. Harsh but college football has become a cutthroat business. I wish it were not that way but this is what we have now.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I live a good ways away (>600 miles) from campus (30+ year season ticket holder) - that was the only game I could make that year and I brought several friends to that game.

I cannot tell you how much that game meant to me that year.

That’s impressive you’ve had season tickets that long!

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
After a decade of winning seasons, Orange Bowls, and beating Georgia and Clemson. Yea, I guess getting your butt whipped by Va Tech and The Citadel.....I should enjoy the ride.

Our record the last decade is something like 76-54. That’s Gaileyball. We were 3-7 versus UGA. I’m not sure what you were watching. We had two exceptional years and 2 better than average years out of 11 under PJ. We have been trending downward and recruits didn’t want to play in the offense. Energy around the program was dead. IIWII. It was time for change and PJ knew it. I still love the guy and what he achieved at Tech. Time to embrace the now. If we don’t start improving we’ll know CGC was a mistake. Give this regime some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
You people need to stop talking about that Wake team like they were scrubs.

2hwflx.jpg

Hansel's right - that team had six guys named All-America by a few different outlets. Wake hasn't had that level of talent since, tho ...

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
Once again another thread derailed by more of this CPJ vs. CGC stupidity.

I sure hope you aren't silenced by some of the knuckleheads on here. The self-defeitism here is sad to see, and I can't imagine being around some of these people in real life.

I'm just getting caught up on this thread, and was thrilled to have actual "real data" in this discussion from someone who's been on the inside. I sure hope that you post more going forward actually like Sed does.

I gave my $200 GTAA donation online, actually doubled it. I did it because I love GT and will support it however I can.

If you didn't donate yesterday, and aren't in a financial crisis, but find the time to come on here and run down the program - you should really question whether you are part of the solution or the problem.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I gave my $200 GTAA donation online, actually doubled it. I did it because I love GT and will support it however I can.

If you didn't donate yesterday, and aren't in a financial crisis, but find the time to come on here and run down the program - you should really question whether you are part of the solution or the problem.

Thank you.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
After a decade of winning seasons, Orange Bowls, and beating Georgia and Clemson. Yea, I guess getting your butt whipped by Va Tech and The Citadel.....I should enjoy the ride.

3 losing seasons in that decade plus dismal loss to MTSU plus huge choke jobs vs mutts in '09 and '13 plus whipped by Duke annually for half a decade...the ride wasn't that enjoyable.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
3 losing seasons in that decade plus dismal loss to MTSU plus huge choke jobs vs mutts in '09 and '13 plus whipped by Duke annually for half a decade...the ride wasn't that enjoyable.

Fired the DC responsible for MTSU, and the Choke job vs the mutts in 09. Changed the offense after 2013 because the reliance on passing and designed A-back runs lead to it having issues closing out games after trying to give the fans what they wanted. Dominated duke yearly the other half of that decade startign 7-0 against them until they surpassed us in program support and cutcliffe was able to start out recruiting. 2 wins vs FSU in the regular season something no coach had ever done btw since bowden got there.

Orange bowls, Acc championship games. Actual excitement in games of scoring touchdowns. Nah wasn't enjoyable at all.