The Culture is Real

slugboy

Staff member
I have a question that I do not mean to be pro or anti-Collins. But I have done a little bit of searching -- I am not very good at that googling thing -- and I can find no evidence that "culture" was ever pushed at Temple, Collins's only head coaching job. So did it pop out of the ground at Tech or am I missing it? I would hate to think "culture" was pushed forward when it seemed the thing to do at the moment.

I think it’s always been a thing for Collins. See: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...-about-geoff-collins/BsmAzt2xQbVmaKDnLwU2KJ/#

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn’t call it the the most horrifying day ever but you must have missed 8/29 with the pumping iron routine. I do think we should aspire to refrain from being ridiculed on national TV. We should be able to clear that bar.
I love the “culture” change and new direction he wants the program to go but the weight lifting thing isn’t a good look, especially when we’re getting our asses kicked by Clemson and georgia but i can say as much as i loved Qua Searcy, him walking around shirtless last year at the UGa game wasn’t much better lol

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
i think that the culture also refers to being positive. instead of imagining the worst... lets focus on great things happening.

it is time to put "we cant have nice things " etc to bed.
Well, okay, So is Tech spending? And define "nice things" because I don't ever see Tech spending at the big boy levels.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Did you play on that team? No? Then who the **** are you to say what they do and don't "deserve?" I ****ing hate our fanbase sometimes.
Why don’t you chill the **** out cupcake. I’m one of the most loyal fans you’ll ever see. I’ve attended 21 straight Tech vs. uGA games and seen six wins...I’ve missed probably two home games in over twenty years and I’m the fan you hate?

I’m just realistic. I have a hard time with handing out trophies and accolades when they aren’t earned. Finishing in the bottom half of your division doesn’t deserve a trophy or a ring, no matter which way you spin it. I enjoyed the second half of he season, but it doesn’t make me forget the first half.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
Just because a trophy or a ring doesn't mean something to you doesn't mean that it wouldn't mean more to the players.

I don't hate you. I didn't question how devoted you are. I have just never warmed up to the way our fanbase eats its own. We constantly tear down our own accomplishments, and after finishing a crappy season, looking forward to an off-season of self-loathing posts is less than exciting.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Why don’t you chill the **** out cupcake. I’m one of the most loyal fans you’ll ever see. I’ve attended 21 straight Tech vs. uGA games and seen six wins...I’ve missed probably two home games in over twenty years and I’m the fan you hate?

I’m just realistic. I have a hard time with handing out trophies and accolades when they aren’t earned. Finishing in the bottom half of your division doesn’t deserve a trophy or a ring, no matter which way you spin it. I enjoyed the second half of he season, but it doesn’t make me forget the first half.
I gather you are not a fan of participation trophies then?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Your comment here encapsulates what I find frustrating about the anti-Collins crowd. The implication that GT football under Collins is "all show & no go". I think this is the crux of the whole debate -- is Collins all style or is there substance to back it up. As a pro-Collins fan I think his culture has both style and substance and is laying a foundation for future success.

Time will tell, but we should give our new coach the benefit of the doubt for a few years. Many here seem unwilling to do that.

"Time will tell..." Coach Collins has done a masterful job of first holding together the 2019 class, changing the perception of Georgia Tech by recruits though the 404 hype and such, and he has brought recruiting for this class to the cusp of a historic ranking only matched by the 2007 group. Is this the real deal or will we look back three or four yeas hence and sigh it seemed like a good idea at the time. Can recruiting overcome some game day deficiencies and the ongoing struggles of the "Me Too offense"? We will see but the recruiting for this class has been going like gangbusters by Tech standards. There is not an I Perfection Harris in the bunch so far but close only counts in horseshoes until they sign on the dotted line. More recruiting drama yet to come that is for sure.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I have a question that I do not mean to be pro or anti-Collins. But I have done a little bit of searching -- I am not very good at that googling thing -- and I can find no evidence that "culture" was ever pushed at Temple, Collins's only head coaching job. So did it pop out of the ground at Tech or am I missing it? I would hate to think "culture" was pushed forward when it seemed the thing to do at the moment.

Good question. I don't really know but I would suspect its a whole lot easier to push the "404 Culture" than anything having to do with Philadelphia. I would not put it past Coach Collins to have planned it all along. He is from the Atlanta area, he coached here before, he is invested in this thing in a way that is different from just about any coach we have had before. Besides there is no telling what else is going to come out of that fertile mind always looking for an angle somewhere.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Well, okay, So is Tech spending? And define "nice things" because I don't ever see Tech spending at the big boy levels.

your asking me to define a quote that i dont use. i try to be more positive these days. so i cant tell you what it refers too. it does get used often.......

i cant even imagine what this program would look like if we were more positive. im a firm believer that positive energy is a real thing. im also a buckeye and the difference between the fans bases is noticeable. imo.

i enjoy watching our games. im used to a lot of winning from the buckeye side of me...but ya know what? its more exciting and rewarding for me to watch gt win than it is for tosu.

if the nc was between my two teams? "go jackets " and i love the buckeyes! to have my two teams play for the nc would make me feel like snuffles and his bone. yay..............

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins has half the staff down my way to see Wing Green. I’ve said it before but GT has become an option now simply by Collins marketing and the mileage he is willing to put on a car, plane, or helicopter. While we are focused on the here and now, I really see this year as just a foundation year for recruiting. While I’m thrilled to get a guy like Green from Lee County, I’m more thrilled about the 9th grader who will sign with GT 3 years from now. The amount of South Georgia players that never considered GT and ended up at Tennessee, Michigan, Ohio St., etc has always stuck in my gut. Collins will get his handful. UGA, Bama, Auburn, and FSU will get their share down here, but there are so many players that if we can a few we’ll have some much needed depth. Think if we had 4 Brentavius Glanton’s this year.

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins has half the staff down my way to see Wing Green.

Agree. Americus native, now in Warner Robins. Uga signing Jake fromm from Houston County high brought on a lot of local bandwagon fans who previously were ambivilant but got "woke" to pull for the local kid and pull for uga - even with Tobias at GT, very few locals even knew he was at gt. Glad to have more local interest in GT

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I am happy to hear he is doing well. From the outside looking in, it certainly seems like you all raised him to be a good man (I am sure he is a strong positive influence on the young men in the MTSU program).

Thank you again for trusting GT to help continue molding your family!
Thank you. I tried :) He loves what he is doing. He had a great mentor working w Coach Sisk for 4 years. We went to a couple of their games this year. It was nice meeting players and them telling us how Will has helped them. Will is a strong person. He will be a positive influence. Im very thankful for his relationship with the strength staff @ GT. They were life changing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I love the “culture” change and new direction he wants the program to go but the weight lifting thing isn’t a good look, especially when we’re getting our asses kicked by Clemson and georgia but i can say as much as i loved Qua Searcy, him walking around shirtless last year at the UGa game wasn’t much better lol
I'll take that birdcage look over what the mutt's had to watch when he flew over the goal line.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Agree. Americus native, now in Warner Robins. Uga signing Jake fromm from Houston County high brought on a lot of local bandwagon fans who previously were ambivilant but got "woke" to pull for the local kid and pull for uga - even with Tobias at GT, very few locals even knew he was at gt. Glad to have more local interest in GT
What day is the Jake Fromm parade? I don’t want to miss it.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Good question. I don't really know but I would suspect its a whole lot easier to push the "404 Culture" than anything having to do with Philadelphia. I would not put it past Coach Collins to have planned it all along. He is from the Atlanta area, he coached here before, he is invested in this thing in a way that is different from just about any coach we have had before. Besides there is no telling what else is going to come out of that fertile mind always looking for an angle somewhere.

My daughter - a 2008 GT grad and Midtown Atlanta resident - told me that this is the first year since she graduated that she is interested in season tickets. She LOVES the 404 marketing, the Instagram tags after turnovers, and whole positive vibe around making GT THE school to support in the Atlanta area.

It's time for a new marketing approach that resonates with younger fans and CGC is hitting on every cylinder so far. Of course, there has to be decent performance and I see no reason to think we won't improve and win enough to be relevant in Atlanta, in Georgia, and in the ACC.

If you are resisting, you may become part of the problem, not part of of the solution.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
My daughter - a 2008 GT grad and Midtown Atlanta resident - told me that this is the first year since she graduated that she is interested in season tickets. She LOVES the 404 marketing, the Instagram tags after turnovers, and whole positive vibe around making GT THE school to support in the Atlanta area.

It's time for a new marketing approach that resonates with younger fans and CGC is hitting on every cylinder so far. Of course, there has to be decent performance and I see no reason to think we won't improve and win enough to be relevant in Atlanta, in Georgia, and in the ACC.

If you are resisting, you may become part of the problem, not part of of the solution.

Good to hear!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I am very pleased that your daughter is going to go to the games. You do understand that the 404, the culture change, the ATL, and everything else will disappear in a heartbeat if we do not start winning ball games. The hype and gimmicks can take you only so far until the rubber hits the road. Georgia Tech is on the cusp of a historic recruiting season, the likes of which have not been seen since 2007. It is entirely possible that Coach Collins and his staff will be very close to if not have a top 20 class. After years of enduring top 50 classes or lower 40 ranked classes at best, I would have been happy with a class in the 30s. Of course, we have not signed them and all sorts of shenanigans remain to be played out by opposing programs, unscrupulous coaches, and short sighted recruits who hear NFL prospect, freshman All American, guaranteed PT among other tricks designed to fool them into thinking Alabama, UGA et. al. have their best interests at heart. Sure they do son. After you have been lied to repeatedly a recruit best remember "A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" Coach Collins and a Georgia Tech degree represent value.