The Culture is Real

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
In essence, what is being said is that everyone needs to either get in lockstep agreement and blindly support our coach or else be quiet. I reject that assertion, and as a STH & donor, I feel I have the right to voice my opinion, no matter how others may take it.

I'm sure some people are saying that, but I haven't seen it that much on this board. I think people just realize that CGC will be here for the next few years and what our record will be in three years is anyone's guess. Since the reality is that he's going to be here, it's probably in the fans' best interest to support him than to try to tear him down any chance we get.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm sure some people are saying that, but I haven't seen it that much on this board. I think people just realize that CGC will be here for the next few years and what our record will be in three years is anyone's guess. Since the reality is that he's going to be here, it's probably in the fans' best interest to support him than to try to tear him down any chance we get.

That's what I've been saying...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There's one other thing I meant to mention. The young men who posted in the original here are all seniors and football was a major part of their lives. Now they are going to be "… sliding down the razor blade of life", as Tom Lehrer puts it. The last thing they want to do is create bad blood with a major figure in their college careers.

NB: This isn't to say that they aren't sincere; they probably are. Still …

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Collins does certainly have a lot of stuff which seems like fluff/gimmick, and it's hard to have full confidence since he hasn't been HC at a big program and therefore rooted in one spot for a sufficient time to see what he can do leading the program direction. That said, from coaching hires to transfers to comments here and there, it's clear CGC makes a lasting impact on people he works with. I expect that to pay dividends, but it may take some time. Feels a bit like a modern day take on Dodd.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The cargo plane story is like 75% true i think. We only heard after the fact from equipment guys about how we almost didnt take a normal delta flight. Not sure what the 100% truth is
I know Tom & Punt... if they said it then that's a fact. I've never asked them directly about it but if that's where it came from then you can bank on it.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Some schools spend the money on the things that players appreciate, some don't. Deserved or not you can bet the next bowl game GT wins, the new guy will try to make it important.
Off-topic, but (as evidenced by my signature) can I say that I'm glad that you're still hanging around? Please post a Will update when you have a chance, I hope he's doing well.

LibertyTurns

Banned
There's one other thing I meant to mention. The young men who posted in the original here are all seniors and football was a major part of their lives. Now they are going to be "… sliding down the razor blade of life", as Tom Lehrer puts it. The last thing they want to do is create bad blood with a major figure in their college careers.

NB: This isn't to say that they aren't sincere; they probably are. Still …
It’s called being raised right. It’s called being a good teammate. All traits of a good GT Man.

That being said I’m sure they feel good about being graduating Seniors. They also feel sad about being graduating Seniors. One thing’s for certain- not anyone could attend GT, not anyone could attend GT and graduate, not anyone could attend GT and graduate AND play football. Fewer yet could meaningfully contribute and even fewer could be anchors on a team when it needed them the most.

Well done boys!

LibertyTurns

Banned
Your comment here encapsulates what I find frustrating about the anti-Collins crowd. The implication that GT football under Collins is "all show & no go". I think this is the crux of the whole debate -- is Collins all style or is there substance to back it up. As a pro-Collins fan I think his culture has both style and substance and is laying a foundation for future success.

Time will tell, but we should give our new coach the benefit of the doubt for a few years. Many here seem unwilling to do that.
It’s hard to tell at this point what we got so it’s prudent to wait and see. Frankly I’m too old for him to fail. I most likely don’t have that many new head coaches in me. I will say I’d take the flash better if we didn’t have some many fundamental breakdowns that were controllable. He fixes that and a large portion of the criticism from guys like me will evaporate. Right now, I’m cautiously cautious hoping to be cautiously optimistic.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Your comment here encapsulates what I find frustrating about the anti-Collins crowd. The implication that GT football under Collins is "all show & no go". I think this is the crux of the whole debate -- is Collins all style or is there substance to back it up. As a pro-Collins fan I think his culture has both style and substance and is laying a foundation for future success.

Time will tell, but we should give our new coach the benefit of the doubt for a few years. Many here seem unwilling to do that.
Well, I don't think it possible to be an anti-Collins fan.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Thank you. Will is a Strength Coach @ Middle Tennessee. He is doing great. Thank you for asking.
I am happy to hear he is doing well. From the outside looking in, it certainly seems like you all raised him to be a good man (I am sure he is a strong positive influence on the young men in the MTSU program).

Thank you again for trusting GT to help continue molding your family!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have a question that I do not mean to be pro or anti-Collins. But I have done a little bit of searching -- I am not very good at that googling thing -- and I can find no evidence that "culture" was ever pushed at Temple, Collins's only head coaching job. So did it pop out of the ground at Tech or am I missing it? I would hate to think "culture" was pushed forward when it seemed the thing to do at the moment.

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldn’t call it the the most horrifying day ever but you must have missed 8/29 with the pumping iron routine. I do think we should aspire to refrain from being ridiculed on national TV. We should be able to clear that bar.
I suggest that, to keep "...from being ridiculed on national TV...", we beat all future FCS teams on our schedule who are coming off losses to Gardner-Webb and Elon......... Oh well, I'm done w GT FB for a few months. Be back next August...