The Culture is Real

I've had some folks tell me to sit. Not that I listened. One lady threatened to call the cops cause I had a flask. Old habits die hard.
You should check out the upper east. There are lots of us "old farts" up there, and we do get rowdy. The lower west has ALWAYS been known for boring fans, dating back to the Dodd days, when the women actually wore fur stoles to the games.

Jolly Good Fellow
All the hand wringing on here is amazing. What are the Seniors supposed to say “this was the worst, most horrible experience I ever had in my life?”

They’ve likely finished their athletic careers, are graduating GT and looking forward to a good job, etc. They have no more practices, just school work and party time. It should be one of the best times in their life.

Let the kids have a positive experience and not turn their twits into a loyalty test. Please.
This....

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
If yall are the age of fans that buy season tickets and know everything about college football just because yall are older then yall suck, Saturday was the worst crowd I’ve ever seen at BDS.
Gee thanks, jerk. I am middle aged, but at least I buy season tickets, donate, and showed up to cheer us on while enduring the sea of red. I am tolerant of a couple of losing seasons during the rebuild, but I am not tolerant of some jerk kid telling me l suck while I'm doing everything I can to support the program.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
You should check out the upper east. There are lots of us "old farts" up there, and we do get rowdy. The lower west has ALWAYS been known for boring fans, dating back to the Dodd days, when the women actually wore fur stoles to the games.

Upper east is where I sat most of the time in school. If I sat up there, I'd probably have to bring a frisbee to throw at the opposing band. Those were the days - vendors would hand them out, like they WANTED to see the other team's band members get hit by them.

Jolly Good Fellow
Reminds me when my son was playing Pop Warner football at 6 . The coach sent a player in with a play , next play he sent another player in with a play, he also did it on the 3rd play. The referee stopped the game after the 3th play came over to the coach and said coach before the next play you really need to come and get a few players off the field you now have 14 out there.
Classic....Did your 6yr old Pop Warner team take a delay of game penalty after opening kick off and before 1 second had run off the game clock?
No? Great coaching, obviously....probably all about recruiting....

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not wealthy, so I can only give within my means, but I can assure you, in a manner of speaking, I HAVE put my money where my mouth is for the past 52 years. Yes, I started giving immediately after I got out. Have you?

And for all the grief I give you, I do appreciate this about you.

$1, $10, $100, $1,000, or $1,000,000... We must all be doing our part by doing something.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I too want to see more wins and not a repeat of any part of this year but the age of the Curmudgeon Coach appears to be ending/over. These tweets show that the kids are having a better time with a Player's Coach than they did under the attitude of the previous regime.

I just hope it translates to wins, though it clearly has in other places that have Players' Coaches.

What defines a player's coach? It's pretty hard to quantify.

For me, "player's coach" has a negative connotation. It's a coach who lets his players walk all over him under the guise of caring for them.

Here's an example: I think it was the 30/30 on the 90's Cowboys where Aikman recounted a story about how the year after they won the Super Bowl with Switzer guys were getting lazy and showing up late to practice. And one practice guys were really doggin' it, and Aikman [paraphrased] goes, "I told Switzer that the guys weren't into it, and I was getting frustrated and waiting for him to blow up and tear the team a new one. And then he goes, 'Hey guys, it looks like you aren't feelin' it today, so how about we all just go home and try again tomorrow.' And I just about blew a gasket."

Lou Holtz wisely said, "Don't beat a team when they're down."

I think CGC's done a pretty good job of that. After the Clemson shellacking it wouldn't have done any good for him to start yelling at the players and telling them none of them would even be an SEC benchwarmer. I think he realized this would be a tough year and is minimizing the "y'all suck ... ON THE LINE!" talk. I think once his program is in place we'll (probably?) see more of a "football coach"; he did play LB in college, after all. Dabo, for all his baptizing and "Family Matters" talk is a pretty tough guy.

Time will tell, but honestly, I don't think CGC is a player's coach by my definition.

Jolly Good Fellow
It was funny no penalty
Yup...I loved the story...and great great great 6 yr old youth FB officiating, BTW.. Pop Warner FB ref'ing tip, swallow your whistle and leave your handkerchief in your pocket... Everybody will be eating ice cream in one hour.... I miss those days
OTOH, GT lost to The Citadel.....kill me now....

stech81

Helluva Engineer
What defines a player's coach? It's pretty hard to quantify.

For me, "player's coach" has a negative connotation. It's a coach who lets his players walk all over him under the guise of caring for them.

Here's an example: I think it was the 30/30 on the 90's Cowboys where Aikman recounted a story about how the year after they won the Super Bowl with Switzer guys were getting lazy and showing up late to practice. And one practice guys were really doggin' it, and Aikman [paraphrased] goes, "I told Switzer that the guys weren't into it, and I was getting frustrated and waiting for him to blow up and tear the team a new one. And then he goes, 'Hey guys, it looks like you aren't feelin' it today, so how about we all just go home and try again tomorrow.' And I just about blew a gasket."

Lou Holtz wisely said, "Don't beat a team when they're down."

I think CGC's done a pretty good job of that. After the Clemson shellacking it wouldn't have done any good for him to start yelling at the players and telling them none of them would even be an SEC benchwarmer. I think he realized this would be a tough year and is minimizing the "y'all suck ... ON THE LINE!" talk. I think once his program is in place we'll (probably?) see more of a "football coach"; he did play LB in college, after all. Dabo, for all his baptizing and "Family Matters" talk is a pretty tough guy.

Time will tell, but honestly, I don't think CGC is a player's coach by my definition.
I don't believe in yelling at players on the sidelines or getting on them if they get beat by a better team as long as they give 100 percent. The question only the coach would know did they give 100 percent you can get beat and still give 100 percent. That I like about CGC he does embarrasse a player on the field. As what is a players coach everyone has their own definition. I look at Dodd as a players coach not O'Leary or Ross each has their way to coach.maybe Dodd wasn't a players coach but more of a businessman coach ( I'll out coach you type)

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess some people just don't get CGC's culture. I honestly feel sorry for you because it's way more fun being a fan when you're bought in to it. But you do you.

I would argue culture is more important when you're losing. It's easy to buy in when you're winning. I think it speaks to CGC's culture that the team kept fighting this year. That's the core of his culture -- competition, perseverance in the face of adversity, continuous improvement, and effort. Sure he's a big talker, but you're just gonna have to learn to live with that. The core of his culture is sound, the players are bought in, and the foundation is set for our team to improve from here. Onward and upward.
I agree that culture is more important when you are losing, and credit to CGC to installing a positive culture that focuses on moving forward at every opportunity. But losing is no fun, whether the team has a good culture or not.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
There is so much to unpack in this thread!!! I started to write a novel to address everything thing but I decided to just leave it at this:

Not everyone does things the same way but doesn't mean they all can't be successful. Saban has a more stern, direct, and military-esk culture similar to CPJs style. Dabo has a more uplifting and family focused culture similar to CGC. Even though their styles are opposite, Dabo and Saban are both highly successful coaches. Also, just because a coach starts off poorly doesn't mean they won't be successful (see Ross at Tech, Fleck at Western Michigan and Minnesota, Rhule at Baylor, etc.)

Edit: FYI Minnesota was 9-4 the year before Fleck got there and then he went 5-7 and only 2-7 in conference his first year.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member