The Culture is Real

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
We are Tech fans but I hope this staff does not repeat next year doing what they did this year. They need to grow up and be coaches.....not players best friends.

I too want to see more wins and not a repeat of any part of this year but the age of the Curmudgeon Coach appears to be ending/over. These tweets show that the kids are having a better time with a Player's Coach than they did under the attitude of the previous regime.

I just hope it translates to wins, though it clearly has in other places that have Players' Coaches.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
Culture is only good if you are winning. Why are some of us older Tech fans complaining:
1. We started off as a joke when we had the team out lifting weights on the field before the Clemson game.....then get our butts whipped.
2. Money Down, dancing when you are losing a game.
3. You lose to the Citadel because you choose not to prepare for CPJ offense, and that offense with their no star players kick your butt.
5. You can't transition into an offense, utilizing some of the CPJ scheme because you think it scares off recruits....3-9 a few years will scare off recruits.
6. Temple is an elite defense.....really...
7. Tobias Oliver is an elite player.......but you don't use him in Wildcat or run reverses or Jets.
8. I heard this, that CGC got down and did push ups after we recovered that on sides kick Saturday.....Never saw CPJ, Saban, or the Bear do that. Be a coach.
9. This is the biggest Transition in college football in 40 years.....um no...you took a 7 win team and turned it into a 3 win team. And don't compare 2015, we had numerous injuries and we blew out our weak competition and beat a top 10 team. That Miami win looks really weak now.
10. We just don't understand and change needed to be made......no we are the age of fans that buys all the season tickets and makes the donations. We have also seen more college football than most.

We are Tech fans but I hope this staff does not repeat next year doing what they did this year. They need to grow up and be coaches.....not players best friends.

Lol you must be the life of most parties, huh?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Culture is only good if you are winning. Why are some of us older Tech fans complaining:
1. We started off as a joke when we had the team out lifting weights on the field before the Clemson game.....then get our butts whipped.
3. You lose to the Citadel because you choose not to prepare for CPJ offense, and that offense with their no star players kick your butt.
5. You can't transition into an offense, utilizing some of the CPJ scheme because you think it scares off recruits....3-9 a few years will scare off recruits.
7. Tobias Oliver is an elite player.......but you don't use him in Wildcat or run reverses or Jets.
8. I heard this, that CGC got down and did push ups after we recovered that on sides kick Saturday.....Never saw CPJ, Saban, or the Bear do that. Be a coach.
9. This is the biggest Transition in college football in 40 years.....um no...you took a 7 win team and turned it into a 3 win team. And don't compare 2015, we had numerous injuries and we blew out our weak competition and beat a top 10 team. That Miami win looks really weak now.
10. We just don't understand and change needed to be made......no we are the age of fans that buys all the season tickets and makes the donations. We have also seen more college football than most.

If yall are the age of fans that buy season tickets and know everything about college football just because yall are older then yall suck, Saturday was the worst crowd I’ve ever seen at BDS. No one is trying to attract a younger crowd or push yall away but it seems like some Tech fans are opposed to anything new and hype and scared of change.

I guess some people just don't get CGC's culture. I honestly feel sorry for you because it's way more fun being a fan when you're bought in to it. But you do you.

I would argue culture is more important when you're losing. It's easy to buy in when you're winning. I think it speaks to CGC's culture that the team kept fighting this year. That's the core of his culture -- competition, perseverance in the face of adversity, continuous improvement, and effort. Sure he's a big talker, but you're just gonna have to learn to live with that. The core of his culture is sound, the players are bought in, and the foundation is set for our team to improve from here. Onward and upward.

What evidence do you have that his ideas and culture are sound? He was a two year head coach at Temple.

If yall are the age of fans that buy season tickets and know everything about college football just because yall are older then yall suck, Saturday was the worst crowd I’ve ever seen at BDS. No one is trying to attract a younger crowd or push yall away but it seems like some Tech fans are opposed to anything new and hype and scared of change.

Um I buy 4 season tickets, lower West Stands, live 1200 miles away, and I made it to Pitt and was in the stands with my family on Saturday. I am not afraid of change, I am afraid of going backwards and losing year in and year out.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Dial back the personal insults dude. I was at the game on Saturday. For what it is worth, the older crowd was there on Saturday. The younger crowd was not.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Look I will admit I'm old fat and hate people in general. But would someone take the time to explain what is this culture thing that CGC is talking about? Is it you don't yell at someone? Is it trying to be their friend ? ( which I don't think would work) . What culture did coach Dodd, coach O'Leary, or coach Ross have that they used. To me a culture is winning or losing. I have not one thing against CGG but what culture are we talking about ? Is it a culture he picked up from Saban cause he doesn't strike me as all warm and fuzzy. Is it that players have changed so much the last few years you can't tell them they played like Sh*t ?
Please explain this culture thing.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
This is totally spot on. 2014 was the best year of football I have ever been a part of. But it was totally team driven. All the seniors that left gutted the team. But honestly you could have won 10 games with a few 4th graders coaching with that roster. It was unstoppable.

You could have run a pro style, 1 back UGA offense with that team and gotten to the orange bowl

2014 team was good, but coaching was a major part of it.

Dial back the personal insults dude. I was at the game on Saturday. For what it is worth, the older crowd was there on Saturday. The younger crowd was not.
You are definitely right there. Other than the students who bothered to show up, I saw very few Tech fans under the age of 40, and a lot who at least appeared to be over the age of 50, including several 70+ year olds like myself.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Not a personal insult he literally said in his post the older fans buy the tickets and are smarter because they’ve watched longer.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Look I will admit I'm old fat and hate people in general. But would someone take the time to explain what is this culture thing that CGC is talking about? Is it you don't yell at someone? Is it trying to be their friend ? ( which I don't think would work) . What culture did coach Dodd, coach O'Leary, or coach Ross have that they used. To me a culture is winning or losing. I have not one thing against CGG but what culture are we talking about ? Is it a culture he picked up from Saban cause he doesn't strike me as all warm and fuzzy. Is it that players have changed so much the last few years you can't tell them they played like Sh*t ?
Lol. Culture is so much more than winning and losing. Those of you who haven’t played sports at a high level wouldn’t understand. That’s not a shot at any of you, it’s just the truth. Just like an engineer probably doesn’t know a whole lot about business deals, and a businessman probably has no idea how an engineering project works.

Even businesses have culture, where there are no “wins and losses” so to speak. Business culture is things like dress code, how your boss interacts with you, how lenient the boss is, etc. Culture in the locker room is similar. What’s expected on and off the field, how the S&C program is run, how punishments are handled, how coaches interact with players, energy at practice, team bonding, and plenty more like how media appearances are handled. Alabama’s culture differs from Clemson’s. That doesn’t mean either one is right or wrong, it’s just how that program is run. CGC appears to be trying to build a culture like PJ Fleck has done at CMU and Minnesota, and even Dabo at Clemson to an extent.

It’s hard to explain how important culture is to a team of you’ve never been a part of one before, but I’m sure most of you have been part of businesses. You ever had a job where everyday felt miserable? What about a job that was a joy to get up a go to everyday? What was different from the two? Was it the position itself? Or was it the culture surrounding the business operations? To sum it up in a few words, culture is the “vibes” that a program gives off to the team and media.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer

Geez man, you just don't get it! We have to change our culture to be successful after a decade of lack luster recruiting. It is not that hard to understand really. I bet you could grasp it if you could overcome your negatism. You, and others on this board that fit this bill, should give it a try and enjoy the ride. It is a lot more fun.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

The culture thing he refers to is every thing u dont see.

Its film study habits
Dedication to the team
Study halls
Being a good teammate
Being a student
How you practice properly
How you lead. How to lead the way he wants
Personal accountability
What effort means and how to give it
How to sacrifice yourself for your assignment so your teammate can make a play
How you work out
How you study the playbook
How you dress
How you cheer
How you prep for road trips
How you do hotel checks
How you do walk throughs
How you do pre game meals
How you execute gameday week schedules with maximum efficiency and effort

Its a program foundation.

What its not. Is tweeting. The 404. The fun advertising stuff. Thats collins having fun. The culture is whats above

And what he means is executing and buyin in to his culture

And he has a detailed playbook for all those. Down to timed meals and how many breathes you can take

To add. He wants all those thing does his way. With positivity. And great teammate support and truthfulness. No egos

Last edited:

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Don't know that we are smarter, but I think we are wiser, i.e., more common sense and more pragmatic.
I assume this is Pretty ignorant reasoning but do you seriously feel that 50-60 year olds have a better grasp on College Football because they’ve been around longer? College Football has changed more in the last 5 seasons then it has it the previous 20 before that and Tech was in danger of getting left behind because of terrible recruiting and lack of fan support, one of those has been addressed but the ladder is the same as always. I wish the older rich alumni would put their money where their mouth is sometimes and Tech could really take it to the next level.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
My husband employs a lot of millennials, and he's been researching recently on how to motivate them. As a gen-Xer, he frequently rolls his eyes in disgust, but one of the things he found was that millennials expect to have access to the top management all the time. I can see how coach Collins' doing pushups on the sidelines might appeal to that generation (seeming like he's more on their level) whereas the older generations would expect more of a hierarchical divide. I would guess most of his culture that the older generations don't like is probably due to the methods you have to use to engage the younger generation. If one five star sees him do those push-ups and thinks, "hey I could see myself playing for him", then it's worth it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I think we need dancing bears. And Tweet Day. And free lattes. And a dating app.

Tech’s “product” appeals to a certain segment. Younger fans will buy tickets via StubHub and avoid paying the donation.

Once the older fans are gone, there won’t be younger fans in volume. Just look at the demographics. They aren’t on Tech’s side.